First time modding, could use some help.

TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
I'm trying to do a small mod to learn a bit about the process, and I was wondering if some of you astronomically more talented modders out there could give me a hand with a few of the basics.

My first objective was to mod up the Gorge Infestation Bellyslide speed cap, which I believe I accomplished pretty well by raising <u>local kMaxSlidingSpeed</u> in <i>Gorge.lua</i>.

Next I want to impart forward momentum to Gorges as they fall, in the way that Skulks get a boost. I tried looking through <i>Skulk.lua</i> for some code to lift, but I can't make heads or tails of where to rip the code from. I have a hunch it's around <u>function Skulk:GetJumpVelocity(input, velocity)</u>, but I'm not sure >.>

Anybody have any tips or advice for how I can accomplish this?

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004769:date=Nov 1 2012, 05:27 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 1 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm trying to do a small mod to learn a bit about the process, and I was wondering if some of you astronomically more talented modders out there could give me a hand with a few of the basics.

My first objective was to mod up the Gorge Infestation Bellyslide speed cap, which I believe I accomplished pretty well by raising <u>local kMaxSlidingSpeed</u> in <i>Gorge.lua</i>.

Next I want to impart forward momentum to Gorges as they fall, in the way that Skulks get a boost. I tried looking through <i>Skulk.lua</i> for some code to lift, but I can't make heads or tails of where to rip the code from. I have a hunch it's around <u>function Skulk:GetJumpVelocity(input, velocity)</u>, but I'm not sure >.>

Anybody have any tips or advice for how I can accomplish this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I Believe gorges already get momentum transfer (try sliding up and down a slope). So maybe you need to be looking for a gorge friction thing?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005187:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:47 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Nov 1 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I Believe gorges already get momentum transfer (try sliding up and down a slope). So maybe you need to be looking for a gorge friction thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've done a lot of testing on my own, and while Gorges do gain speed when they go down slopes, they don't gain any just by falling. Many edges have rounded corners that can give a bit of a boost, but dropping off of something flat just plops him on the ground. I'd like to make him build up speed as he falls, which as far as I know, is something that happens to the Skulk right now.
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005247:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:18 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 1 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've done a lot of testing on my own, and while Gorges do gain speed when they go down slopes, they don't gain any just by falling. Many edges have rounded corners that can give a bit of a boost, but dropping off of something flat just plops him on the ground. I'd like to make him build up speed as he falls, which as far as I know, is something that happens to the Skulk right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the answer might lie in:
    Skulk.kAirAcceleration
    Skulk.kMaxVerticalAirAccel
    Skulk.kAirAccelerationFraction

But thats just a noobs look over the skulk file.