Move HUD elements?

exainsexains Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 148046Members
edited November 2012 in Modding
Hello! I wasn't completely satisfied with the marine HUD, so I started changing it. Or rather, I thought it was a bit too crowded, so I started making some elements transparent. Very easy, even for a complete noob like me (especially with some help). It looks like this if anyone's interested: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/l63w3.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/l63w3.jpg</a>

Now, I think it's better than before, I understand if you disagree, but I like only having the absolutely necessary on the screen. So I've made some progress, in my book. But if you look at the bottom right, at the health and armor numbers, they seem to be floating a bit. It doesn't look very nice. There are some other elements I'd like to move too, like tres, I'd like it more above the map. Does anyone know how I would change this, or point me in the right direction?

[edit]
By the way, is this allowed on secure servers? I replaced the original .dds files.

Comments

• exainsexains Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 148046Members
    I found GUIMarineHud.lua in \ns2\lua\Hud\Marine which seems like the thing I wanted, but after changing something I couldn't join servers, it said we had different versions of the game.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2008382:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:24 AM:name=exains)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (exains @ Nov 3 2012, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello! I wasn't completely satisfied with the marine HUD, so I started changing it. Or rather, I thought it was a bit too crowded, so I started making some elements transparent. Very easy, even for a complete noob like me (especially with some help). It looks like this if anyone's interested: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/l63w3.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/l63w3.jpg</a>

Now, I think it's better than before, I understand if you disagree, but I like only having the absolutely necessary on the screen. So I've made some progress, in my book. But if you look at the bottom right, at the health and armor numbers, they seem to be floating a bit. It doesn't look very nice. There are some other elements I'd like to move too, like tres, I'd like it more above the map. Does anyone know how I would change this, or point me in the right direction?

[edit]
    By the way, is this allowed on secure servers? I replaced the original .dds files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    DDS files are not protected by server-side consistency, you should be fine. I would also love to know if it's possible to move the HUD around. for instance, coming from RTS games, I know plenty of people would prefer the minimap in the bottom left. I also personally love having the health/armor stuff closer to the center of the screen, just because it's easier to keep track of stuff. I really hope they either unprotect this file or enable us some full HUD moddability.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    If this is the same minimal hud as whats on the workshop, then its working fine.
    There's a flashing box around the health and armor though.
    <!--quoteo(post=2009238:date=Nov 4 2012, 07:07 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 4 2012, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DDS files are not protected by server-side consistency, you should be fine. I would also love to know if it's possible to move the HUD around. for instance, coming from RTS games, I know plenty of people would prefer the minimap in the bottom left. <b>I also personally love having the health/armor stuff closer to the center of the screen</b>, just because it's easier to keep track of stuff. I really hope they either unprotect this file or enable us some full HUD moddability.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what I was thinking :)
    I'm going to send them a tweet, maybe they know something we don't.

<!--quoteo(post=2009290:date=Nov 4 2012, 08:04 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 4 2012, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this is the same minimal hud as whats on the workshop, then its working fine.
    There's a flashing box around the health and armor though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is! At first I thought it was too small and pathetic a change to upload to the workshop, but I decided to do it anyway. After all, I prefer to play it with this small mod, someone else might find it nice too! I responded to your comment in the steam workshop:

"I've seen the outline but I'm not sure how I would remove it. I'm going to take a look and see what I can do, I think it's annoying too. I haven't even thought about the arms lab icon, but it shouldn't be a problem to change/fix, if my designer skills are up to snuff that is."
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    have you actually managed to move the elements around by messing with the LUA file? if so, I recommend creating a proof of concept and showing UWE. maybe in a future patch they can whitelist that file
    edited November 2012
    No, but I found some lines relating to the HUD. I managed to remove the RESOURCES text next to the pres, but the change got stuck in the consistency check upon joining a server.

In ns2\lua\Hud\Marine in the file GUIMarineHud.lua I managed to change the commander colour, line 106 "GUIMarineHUD.kActiveCommanderColor = "
    I'm going to try to reposition the HUD, I just need to find where...

[edit]

You can change the location of the commander text in the line GUIMarineHUD.kCommanderNameOffset in GUIMarineHud.lua. Will continue searching for the other elements.