Ways to keep the game funded

13»

Comments

• upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    People might actually use it, and then yell at other people because they don't have it and call them noobs etc... NO
    i don't want any microtransactions and why do you still keep this up? there has been posted that they WON'T use a microtransactions system...

And what are you talking about that selling "isn't a reliable" income, so what? they sold a lot of copies already, they don't need 1000$ to make a update.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In any case I am willing to fork out cash for new stuff they release as long as it's done sincerely. I want to support this game and as long worthwhile content comes out I'm willing to support UWE
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    <b>@ upperdemoon:</b>
    Yes, they will call you unspeakable names, and every admin will ban you for not having a bought skin.

<i>> "[...] and why do you still keep this up?"</i>
    Why not?

<b>@ Idleray:</b>
    Aye, that's the spirit!
  • Lim3sLim3s Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160712Members
    edited November 2012
    I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I don't really think that having a sustainable business model is 100% necessary when you have moddability like the Spark engine does. I think you'll find that goes a long way in keeping a game alive.

Edit: and by "sustainable business model" I mean something like a microtransaction or F2P model. Excuse my poor wording.
    edited November 2012
    <b>@ Lim3s:</b>
    It definitely helps for probably some time, but I believe it's inevitable that the income will eventually take end, and from then on, they could introduce such a business model.
    Crouching BU, Hidden MP. :ninja:
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008574:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:06 PM:name=Safewood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Safewood @ Nov 3 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OP<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The best way to get continued revenues is continued sales. That means making the game so awesome that everyone who has it simply has to tell his friends to get it.

But if things like the 229-fiasco continue to happen, I doubt this is going to be the case.

I personally am against the concept of monthly fees for games, especially for something as impermanent as NS2. Doesn't matter how good comm you are today, tomorrow you start from scratch. It's not like WOW where there's an actual perpetual world. That being said, NS2Online or whatever could be an option (I have dibs on copyright for that idea as of just now :P).

A store with items would be a better option, as long as those items don't affect gameplay. But if they are going to be game-changing purchases, get ready for the end of NS2 sooner rather than later.

Of course, I will not be buying any such merchandize whether or not it affects the game.

I'm sure there are others like me. But with the success of the F2P model, we have seen that there's no shortage of people who can be relied on to act upon childish impulse buying of virtual goods with no physical value, so I think it will be a viable option for UWE.

If NS2 was a F2P, I would have downloaded it and played around a bit until people started paying for more game skillz. Then I would have uninstalled it and gone back to CS1.6.
    <b>@ SupaDupaNoodle:</b>
    I'm not even sure what to take of this. I'll leave it at that. :3