Gorges are not getting enough iron in their diet

NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Solving gorge malnutrition problems</div>I've heard an idea in beta that was not implemented and I think it would be an excellent way to deal with turtleing marines recycling their weapons. Give the gorge an ability that allows him to "eat" a marine weapon when it's on the ground, preventing recycling, and getting some personal resources and energy from it. This would cut down on marine turtleing and punish them for over-extending, as well as improve the aggressive support role for the gorge.

Comments

• BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    Topic name made me giggle a little bit.

For something called a "gorge" ,which when defined as a verb means 'eat greedily', this thing certainly doesn't do a lot of eating.

I think this is a good idea.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    But calling it a Bullimic (as it constantly throws up the contents of it's stomach) isn't exactly sending out the right message either... :D
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited November 2012
    YAY, oppotunity to plugin my post! <a href='index.php?showtopic=121222'>Gorge Weapon Devour</a>
    People also seem to favor the idea for bacterial growth to dissolve/cover/eat dropped weapons.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a great idea!
    Also I do like the idea of gorges hunting down dropped lmgs for 1 pres and shotguns for 5 in hopes of making a financial gain by going gorge.

Also for fairness, because we would now have a way of removing items from the game, marines should have their dropped items last longer to compensate.
  • TheRedRagerTheRedRager Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166227Members
    edited November 2012
    +1 Great idea, I dont like how the marines can recycle weapons so easily, this would help against the turtling issue as well as give incentive to play as gorge, something that is sorely lacking at the moment

Edit: I dont like lmg's being able to be eaten for res, if you could do that then theres potential to gain pres through having a friend on the opposite team just tossing rifles at you constantly. I suggest just having the res bonus be 3 for shotguns eaten and 5 for flame thrower or GL. If its too high it would lead to gorge being picked up just to eat weapons so that they can bring out onos fast, and they wouldnt build hydras or support the team because of it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013365:date=Nov 6 2012, 05:14 PM:name=TheRedRager)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheRedRager @ Nov 6 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 Great idea, I dont like how the marines can recycle weapons so easily, this would help against the turtling issue as well as give incentive to play as gorge, something that is sorely lacking at the moment

Edit: I dont like lmg's being able to be eaten for res, if you could do that then theres potential to gain pres through having a friend on the opposite team just tossing rifles at you constantly. I suggest just having the res bonus be 3 for shotguns eaten and 5 for flame thrower or GL. If its too high it would lead to gorge being picked up just to eat weapons so that they can bring out onos fast, and they wouldnt build hydras or support the team because of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, but I instead see it as an interesting new dynamic, these res hunting gorges building and hunting weapons in the hopes of getting high cost lifeforms a little early. High risk and high reward. Marines would have to start worrying about what and where they die/drop weapons, and collecting them.

Also it would be the desired asymetric answer to the marines recycle system; marines recycle weapons and structures, aliens can absorb the enemies'.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
  • RoboRobo Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162637Members
    I agree a weapon devour would be nice although currently you can use spit to push weapons away / hide them.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013459:date=Nov 6 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Robo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robo @ Nov 6 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree a weapon devour would be nice although currently you can use spit to push weapons away / hide them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did not know this, thanks for the tip.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Make bile bomb melt dropped weapons
  • SarabSarab Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166768Members
    I agree with this but couldnt it lead to Aliens snowballing if there was a slight skill imbalance between to the two teems aka feeding?
    <!--quoteo(post=2013559:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:00 PM:name=Sarab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sarab @ Nov 6 2012, 08:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with this but couldnt it lead to Aliens snowballing if there was a slight skill imbalance between to the two teems aka feeding?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see where you are coming from. Also though there is a conceivable stabilizing effect; if marines are not extending far outside of their base (aka likely losing) they are more likely to pick up their weapons and less pres for the aliens. If marines are winning, they're weapons fall farther from home, weapons are more readily available to aliens.

The snowballing effect may be more drastic though, I do not know. Good call
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    ok sure +1

i am not sure about this idea but since it ties into having the gorge do more, i like it. Ill still with my idea: giving the gorge droppable spore mines.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    The idea by itself is awesome: aliens simply need some way to prevent marine weapon recycling, and a gorge is a perfect unit for it.

What I dislike is awarding pres for it. Because I can guarantee that from that point, the only reason roughly 60% players would go gorge would be to quickly get some pres for fade or onos. Which would result in them (im)patiently waiting slightly behind front lines, maybe shooting in a vague direction of the enemy so that they have at least an illusion of doing something, until other aliens finally kill all the marines in the room and they can swoop in and get that <i>precious, precious </i> extra resources.

Actually, what if gorge devour would award <i>tres</i> to the alien commander instead?
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013854:date=Nov 7 2012, 12:36 PM:name=Lt. Lizard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lt. Lizard @ Nov 7 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The idea by itself is awesome: aliens simply need some way to prevent marine weapon recycling, and a gorge is a perfect unit for it.

What I dislike is awarding pres for it. Because I can guarantee that from that point, the only reason roughly 60% players would go gorge would be to quickly get some pres for fade or onos. Which would result in them (im)patiently waiting slightly behind front lines, maybe shooting in a vague direction of the enemy so that they have at least an illusion of doing something, until other aliens finally kill all the marines in the room and they can swoop in and get that <i>precious, precious </i> extra resources.

Actually, what if gorge devour would award <i>tres</i> to the alien commander instead?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed,
    Tres would be much better.

It would be actually pretty good, this whole idea.
    Consuming weapons for tres, simple rifles would give 1 tres maybe 2.
    Shotties 3-5.
    GLs 10.
    Flames 10.
    Maybe some remains of exos for around 10-20?

Combat gorges running around in front lines supporting skulks and other aliens, instead of hunkering back somwhere... That would promote that.
    I'm up for that.
    Also, this would discourage running with shotty far away as you can actually lose it this team, without ability to pick up on the next respawn.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think it should award any res. The bonus of removing a powerful weapon of the enemy from the field is award enough.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013952:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:59 AM:name=PureHostility)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PureHostility @ Nov 7 2012, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed,
    Tres would be much better.

It would be actually pretty good, this whole idea.
    Consuming weapons for tres, simple rifles would give 1 tres maybe 2.
    Shotties 3-5.
    GLs 10.
    Flames 10.
    Maybe some remains of exos for around 10-20?

Combat gorges running around in front lines supporting skulks and other aliens, instead of hunkering back somwhere... That would promote that.
    I'm up for that.
    Also, this would discourage running with shotty far away as you can actually lose it this team, without ability to pick up on the next respawn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tres would not be better, as you would be converting from a player count dependent value (quantity of dropped weapons) to a value that is supposed to be independent of player count.

Removing the weapons is reward enough.
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014418:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:55 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Nov 7 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tres would not be better, as you would be converting from a player count dependent value (quantity of dropped weapons) to a value that is supposed to be independent of player count.

Removing the weapons is reward enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well you are right, forgot about it being independent...
    Oh well, what about just making gorge an ability to disintegrate weapons dropped by marines?
    It's just tiring sometimes, defending these 2 shotties dropped by 2 marines rushing out of their base, just to fight the same 2 marines sprinting to get their weapons back, 7 seconds later.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I'd rather weapons dropped on infestation start to get eaten and rapidly absorbed in about 10 seconds, and it goes to the overall pres for the team.

Seriously, ###### marines. I'm tired of their free ride.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    +1; makes the gorge a bit more combat related. Also make the mechanic like old onos devour. If the gorge is killed, the weapon is recovered.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013299:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:13 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Nov 7 2012, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YAY, oppotunity to plugin my post! <a href='index.php?showtopic=121222'>Gorge Weapon Devour</a>
    People also seem to favor the idea for bacterial growth to dissolve/cover/eat dropped weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mmmmm Gorge devour. Eat Marine and digest him Onos style... :D
  • biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014354:date=Nov 7 2012, 01:02 PM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Nov 7 2012, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it should award any res. The bonus of removing a powerful weapon of the enemy from the field is award enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. 100% this. If it rewards any kind of res it would be too good. After aliens have bile bomb make some cheap tech that the commander has to do to "increase the corrosion" of the bile to dissolve weapons. Problem solved.
  • biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014549:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:35 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 7 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather weapons dropped on infestation start to get eaten and rapidly absorbed in about 10 seconds, and it goes to the overall pres for the team.

Seriously, ###### marines. I'm tired of their free ride.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This also, but without the rage and no res gain at all, they just dissolve. This make trekking into enemy territory alone far more dangerous as you will not be able to respawn and recover your weapon thanks to phase gate tech.