Stationary defense system as map parts

XenderXender Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167800Members
What you think about installing few turrets on maps and controls monitor for marines?
Aliens can have other ways to protect themselves, live destroying canal for lava and black the passing.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Nope no need for it
  • ZeCruiserZeCruiser Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167991Members
    Actually, I wouldn't disregard this topic too quickly.

Perhaps turrets is the wrong wording, but we already do have map hazards like the crusher in mineshaft or the lava pits in refinery. Both are features that I enjoy a lot and while they are neutral hazards that harm everyone, not just members of a specific team, I still think they can be used by either team to help in defense.

I remember having played on mineshaft and this situation came up during which we (marines) held the crushing machine and the Kharaa tried to pour in through the crusher. Some of our guys would shoot them as they came through the crusher conveyor belt and forced them to try strafing a bit in order to avoid our rifle rife. This caused them to take longer to move through the crusher and were caught by surprise by the machine. The next moment two kill messages popped up but no marine caused them.

I love the idea of these kinds of hazards in the maps. They can be easily avoided, yes, but when you actually involve them in the combat, they can create some pretty fun moments and a somewhat more dynamic fight than you get in your standard encounter.
    So I for one would love to see more of these map specific hazards. They provide that bit of charme to a room that can make it special.