Server connection issues, browser issues

kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<b>Server Connection Issues</b>
'Unable to connect to server' message
This seems to only be an issue when I try connecting to UWE Official servers.

<b>Browser Refresh</b>
When refreshing server list, half if not more of the servers fail to come back up on the list. Every attempt after the first seems to drop more and more servers from the list. This is with a completely unfiltered server list. After 3-4 refresh attempts, only one or two servers pop up for me and I ave to restart the game and pull up an initial server list.

<b>Browser Functionality</b>
I know this is already being addressed, or at least has been discussed via the forums, but some of my options on the browser are mashed together with the performance and ping slidebars. I think it may be an issue with my monitor's resolution (1280x1024) and not being a widescreen. Also, having tabs on the top of the browser next to Quick Join and Start Server to separate Favorites, Friends (ie servers friends are playing on) etc., would be a nice function.

I apologize if any of this has been regurgitated from previous topics, thanks!

Comments

• current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    The first issue I kept getting last night. The 2bd issue I've gotten since release (first time playing). I have to exit and re enter the game to get servers back.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    I have the same issues.

<b>1. Losing server list after a failed connection</b>
    Sometimes a connection to a server fails with a message "Failed to establish connection to the server". After that the server browser stops to show any servers for me. The only way to get the server list back is restarting the game and/or Steam. I suspect it has something to do with the authentication process but I have no solid evidence yet. As an interesting note, the bug does not manifest if the failed connection was caused by the server being full.

<b>2. Losing server list after refreshing</b>
    If I refresh the server list more than twice, while having some filters on (filtering out modded and empty) it usually wont show any servers anymore. Sometimes waiting for a minute or so is enough for some servers to appear, but usually restarting the game is the only thing that helps.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    Any one have thoughts on this?
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    So played around more with this, out of 20 attempts trying to connect to a UWE server, all 20 failed with the 'Unable to connect to the server' message. 12 attempts at connecting to non-UWE servers, 2 full and 10 connected without a hitch. Tried restarting steam, modem, router, released ip, etc. Not sure if this helps.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Had this problem too. Try this:

Go into your steam main page/steam/settings/downloads + cloud/game server browser: max pings per minute.

If the number is high, say 3000, then try lowering that to 1000 or less. For me 500 works the best so just experiment.

That should help populate servers in the browser better. The connection problem is known by UW and they are looking into it as it was mentioned in a Q&A with Hugh.

Sal
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks Sal, I'll try adjusting my max pings. I figured the rest was known seeing as how its an authentication issue, but didn't think it hurt to post about.