Game freezes but doesn't crash

Peon.Peon. Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167502Members
Hi,

from time to time my game freezes for about 10 sec, then black screen and after that it continues. It happens in start up menue, or after a few minutes of playing or after hours of playing.

My system:
intel i5 3450
asus hd 7870 @ (12.10 and 12.11 beta 6, makes no difference)
8 GB Skill RAM

For furtehr informations please see my log (have deleted all infos, which dindt belong to the erros):

###############################################
Date: 11/08/12
Time: 12:57:56
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 228
Steam initialized
Render Device: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (8.17.10.1169)
Sound Device: Lautsprecher (USB Sound Device ) stereo
Record Device: Mikrofon (USB Sound Device )
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Main Menu Initialized at Version: 228
Connecting to server 109.70.148.72:27025
Client : 0.000000 : Loading VM Client
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
Error: Couldn't open file ''
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_baggagescreens_01.model'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_tram_01.model'
Error: Couldn't open file 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'

Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_shower_towelrack3.model'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/shower_test.model'

Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'

Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
#######################################################

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It looks like you are missing quite a few files.
    Theres been problems lately with steam not being thorough when downloading.

I recommend a verify integrity of cache if you haven't done it already. If that doesn't work do a complete reinstall.
    If I were you, I'd try a different steam server to download the game from as well (look in steam settings)
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    This same error is happening to me. I just verified the integrity of the cache. This is a new problem for me since the release, have played beta fine for months.

The error is as the OP describes it: the game suddenly freezes and then the monitor goes black (it's still on, though). After about 10 seconds the graphics come back and the game resumes playing. Sounds sometimes keep playing for a few seconds after the freeze.

What's going on?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Can you guys create a short-as-possible demo recording this?
    Type record in the console (~ key) when you are in the main menu.(optionally you can name the recording by doing "record AnyName") Then join a game and capture this event.

After you quit ns2 you'll find it in the %appdata%/natural selection 2/ folder (windows key + R then type %appdata%)
    Zip up the demo and post a link to it in here.
    Thanks!
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    I will try, but I don't know how I can keep it short if the freeze happens randomly (I read your other thread about the limitations of the demo system). Can I stop one recording and start another while playing in-game? That way I could set a timer and do a new recording every 10 minutes.

Will the "record" command still save the demo if the game crashes? I've tried using FRAPS but I don't have a registered version, so I can only record 30 secs.
    "stop" I believe will cease the current recording. But you cannot start a new recording while in game... Soo..
    This really does look like a simple re install would help, given the errors youre receiving.