Bug - shifts when echoed to a different location still spawn eggs in original location

d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
If you evolve echo on a shift, echo it to another location, and spawn eggs, it will spawn eggs in the original location where you first dropped the shift. I have not tried to see what happens once the infestation has receded on the old location.

Presumably, eggs should still spawn around the shift, even if it has been echoed somewhere else.

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Omg that is an awesome bug, early upfront shift and echo to base = constant rush :P
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2012
    I imagine the marines could just destroy the infestation where it's spawning from. Although I'm not actually sure what happens if there's no more infestation at the spawning point. Could start spawning eggs back at the shift again. But most likely doesn't spawn anything at all.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016168:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:01 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Nov 8 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I imagine the marines could just destroy the infestation where it's spawning from. Although I'm not actually sure what happens if there's no more infestation at the spawning point. Could start spawning eggs back at the shift again. But most likely doesn't spawn anything at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just tested and yes as long as the infestation is there you can keep spawning eggs. But once the infestation is gone, the eggs spawn next to where ever you moved the shift to.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    That would make sense why I was spawning away from a hive the other day in a game, there were eggs but no shift...

Exploiters.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016264:date=Nov 8 2012, 09:27 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 8 2012, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would make sense why I was spawning away from a hive the other day in a game, there were eggs but no shift...

Exploiters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chances are the shift just died and there were still eggs remaining. It's rare that a comm will get a echo shift (at least I don't see it very often in pubs).

And yeah right exploiters.. Frankly, I retain the right to be able to echo my shift and still retain the egg spawning function, even if it's not working quite as intended, without it being referred to as an exploit. Am I supposed to stop spawning eggs because there's a bug? Shouldn't have to choose between echoing my shift and spawning eggs.

To be honest, the bug works against you. If I wanna echo my shift outside a location somebody's attacking and spawn eggs there, I can't, because they just spawn back where it was before :/
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016155:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 8 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Omg that is an awesome bug, early upfront shift and echo to base = constant rush :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would cost 15 (shift hive) + 10 (shift) + 15 (evolve echo) + 10 (eggs) + 5 (echo shift back to base) = 55 res

And every time you echo the shift back to the location to spawn more eggs and echo back again it would cost 10 res + the resources you spend on the eggs.

I don't see it being that viable a strategy to be honest, even if you only echo back the shift when it gets under fire...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This has been fixed as of our playtest today :)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good work. Encountered this yesterday too. Very annoying. Especially because I hadn't the idea to exploit it. ^^
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Cool exploit... will be using it while I can :)