am i bad person ?

13»

Comments

• JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017713:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:31 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Nov 9 2012, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:/

Juomari, are you listening <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRqNNdsQ_4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRqNNdsQ_4</a> while playing NS2? Maybe it is corrupting you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heh, you actually made me laugh :) thanks.

but no, i'm not listening that while playing :D

edit : and yes, i ACTUALLY do this, but quite rarely, only when i get REALLY bored into skulking with always with celerity and carapace and i've just had enough of it.

and yes, i've been trying to ask nicely but most common answers are :

- ROFL you always go with shift hive first and crag second

- OMG don't listen him, make crag or shift

- lol.... shade is useless.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I often go Shade Hive first as commander. And frankly most of the matches where I do so, as opposed to other tech trees, we actually win.
    Usually because I can build resource points and hives everywhere in the map and it takes quite a while for enemies to notice them. It makes it also easier for my team to defend those points because the enemy doesn't see if and how many defenders are in that room.

When I play as alien, I also prefer to have camouflage and silence available over any other upgrades - simply because I don't need to be incredibly fast to be at the enemy and dodge his shots or to survive longer because I can get close to him to land 1-2 hits before he even notices. It also enables me to harass marine structures everywhere far more effectively because I can sneak past patrols and hang around in some corner when I hear an enemy coming and get the drop on him, even if he checks the room. If I get regeneration then, I can harass even better by cloaking between fights and waiting for a full heal.

I don't really care about some mlg360noscopeheadshotpr0z who deem it the most worthless ability in the game. While I have sometimes seen cloaked aliens myself, my personal experience as cloaked alien is that 9 out of 10 times other players are NOT noticing me, even in dark areas and even when I am walking directly past two or three of them. And I am definitely not playing only against new players.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Plz no banning Endar, just education?
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2017204:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:38 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 9 2012, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->luckyly i'm talking about what's fun, not what is best, and for me camo = fun, until i get beaten in everygame 24/7 where i have camo at beginning i start to see your point because then it stops being fun, and nontheless, you can't argue that silence is bad upgrade, it's very useful.

and since when celerity or carapace has been factor that makes aliens lose whatever or not have one ? because the way i see it, if aliens suck they suck whatever upgrade they have, if they're any good then they have chance to win whatever upgrade they have, for skulk carapace is in no way neccesary to have because of 2 things 1. skulk get oneshotted by shotgun whatever you have cara or not 2. if they have lmg carapace helps you to take 2 hits more, 2 hits ONLY, to me having celerity and silence is a lot more useful for skulk.

now for onos on the otherhand carapace is a lot more useful, but then again, onos 6min tactic should already be banned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's see, celerity makes you move very fast so you can actually compete with phase gates for map control. Camo makes you move half as fast and encourages you to do nothing but wait in one spot, and then when you have to defend the hive you either don't go or you spawn there and get killed cause you don't have anything useful to to fight with. Then you also don't have any shifts so it's easy to egg lock your team.

Shotguns are actually quite easy to dodge once you have celerity and again any decent marine can see the outline of a skulk with camo. Silence is ok since you can move regular speed and marines won't hear you so you can attack without warning. It also stops them from knowing immediately where they are being attacked from or how many are attacking them. Still doesn't compare to the speed of celerity or actual use you get from adrenaline as a lerk, gorge, or fade.

Then you talk about hallucinations as if they make a difference. They die in 1 shot or all of them go away with 1 scan. You spend a bunch of res on a bunch of skulk hallucinations and it's gone with 3 from a scan. And they're easy to pickout since they don't climb walls.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2017754:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:23 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 9 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really care about some mlg360noscopeheadshotpr0z who deem it the most worthless ability in the game. While I have sometimes seen cloaked aliens myself, my personal experience as cloaked alien is that 9 out of 10 times other players are NOT noticing me, even in dark areas and even when I am walking directly past two or three of them. And I am definitely not playing only against new players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes you are, if the marines aren't seeing that you have half the map as you claim they're new.
  • nicholmikeynicholmikey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165281Members
    You should try to command the entire game
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, guys. At least give him credit for asking.

And to OP: I don't really mind if a commander steps out of the chair for a bit, but I do get disappointed when he/she doesn't come back or if another one doesn't take their place. We need a guy looking around the map and giving orders, and it gets tough when the Hivemind suddenly goes silent.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    The #1 goal for aliens early game is to secure a 2nd hive. That is always priority. The ONLY thing shade is useful for early game is cloaking your second hive. But when I can check the tech points by firing a single shot from my rifle, it makes the shade completely moot. Celerity or Carapace are both 10x as useful. Being able to be quiet or go invisible doesn't really get useful until you're strong enough and fast enough to actually engage the enemy.
    To all of you who says : it's not the shade hive that makes people angry, it's the fact you bail out as commander.

don't be so naive, shade hive is the only reason people get angry.

do you think people would flame and hate this if i would say :

oh, i like to go alien commander, build 3 rt's and hive and then logout and gorge that hive and while i'm out ask someone else to command ?

it's the same thing.

1. i'm forcing a tactic team has to use without consulting anyone

2. i'm bailing out as commander.

3. i would do this for selfish reasons, because i would want this tactic used without asking from my team, and if i'd want to win desperately or get leap faster etc.

no one would hate me for doing that, they would congratulate me for job welldone, throw me flowers and cheer for me, because this is considered as correct tactic for aliens.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017251:date=Nov 9 2012, 11:11 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 9 2012, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->> Jumps in to rob his commander of choice
    > Chooses the weakest tech path possible for his team every game
    > Jumps out so he doesn't have to clean up after his own mess
    > Asks if he's a bad person.

I don't know, OP, but you are definitely a bad player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm. I was considering doing the same thing yesterday after playing 10 damn games without the commander bothering to research spores! The marines were turtling, and didn't have exo yet, Lerk Spore cloud would have decimated them but NOPE keep stroking the Onos crap. It gets frustrating as F*** when your commander is completely unable to act dynamically to the situation, and just repeats his kindergarten ABC's!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Bad person? I don't think so. It's just unfair to your team if they don't agree or if you don't tell them at all.
    If you don't communicate it to the team they will have a hard time adjusting, especially when they're trying to rambo because they assume Shift hive is up.
    Also, why hop out the hive after picking shift and dropping a single extractor? "It's the most useful time." What?
    Are you ignorant or trolling here?
    To get the team anywhere you need to expand, get more res, get more hives up.
    If you pick the strategy of going with shade first, at least see it through.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I don't know about the NS2 specific context, but in NS1 it was quite annoying how people went to comm, dropped IP and armory in horrendous layout and then told someone else to comm. Even such trivial thing can mess up surprisingly much if the round goes in a certain way.

Moral of the story: Don't go to command unless you're willing to stick there for the whole ride. The chances are you're messing up someone's game plan even if you're sitting there only for 10 seconds.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018100:date=Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To all of you who says : it's not the shade hive that makes people angry, it's the fact you bail out as commander.

oh, i like to go alien commander, build 3 rt's and hive and then logout and gorge that hive and while i'm out ask someone else to command ?

it's the same thing.

3. i would do this for selfish reasons, because i would want this tactic used without asking from my team, and if i'd want to win desperately or get leap faster etc.

no one would hate me for doing that, they would congratulate me for job welldone, throw me flowers and cheer for me, because this is considered as correct tactic for aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would if you have no intent of comming for the remainder of the game. If I am the person you asked I would just F4.
    What part of comming through the ENTIRE game do you not understand?
    You still haven't responded to ANY of the suggestions for you to find a mate that's willing to comm the whole game and go shade hive first, or are you just unable to find a friend to do so?
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2018100:date=Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To all of you who says : it's not the shade hive that makes people angry, it's the fact you bail out as commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try it. Rush to comm, get shift hive, celerity and bail. People will be just as pissed.

<!--quoteo(post=2018100:date=Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 10 2012, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh, i like to go alien commander, build 3 rt's and hive and then logout and gorge that hive and while i'm out ask someone else to command?

it's the same thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you go comm, you ###### stay comm, no exceptions. You can go out for a bit and deal with a situation, but don't count on anyone to deal with your mess.

I'd ban you for it in a heartbeat.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2012
    I like shade, althought I prefer silence, it kicks ass on skulks.

Lol all the hate in this thread, one would think you tards were playing for money. Go find something of importance to be angry over.

Oh and to the OP, you are the spawn of Satan himself!

Also this thread is evidently filled with fools who run along the ground as skulk, cause only such a fool would think carapace is 10x as useful as silence.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    just close this, he is here to complain about shade hive.
  • 2GuNz4U2GuNz4U Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169301Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I had a Shade hive once.... until a man and his horse came by and killed it.
  • frogfrog Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018100:date=Nov 10 2012, 10:56 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 10 2012, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To all of you who says : it's not the shade hive that makes people angry, it's the fact you bail out as commander.
    it's the same thing.
    no one would hate me for doing that, they would congratulate me for job welldone, throw me flowers and cheer for me, because this is considered as correct tactic for aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude, those two scenarios are exactly the opposite. In the first example, you are being polite and working for the benefit of the team, in the second you are being a selfish jerk!

Being commander/khammander is a really stressful job. You take on a lot of responsibility when you jump in the chair/hive and your team respects you for that and lets you do what you think is best. Dumping the chair (btw leaving chair != abandoning comm) means your team has to stress over finding a new commander, when possibly no one is even near to the hive/CC, forcing the team to be stuck while the transfer happens and the original efforts of the to-be commander to be negated, and then the replacement comm has to spend time getting his bearings on what you've done before he can come up with a strategy that follows from it. That is a huge amount of time lost!

In your first example (the "flowers-throwing-tactic") this vacuum doesn't happen; in your second example, it <i>does</i> happen. That's what irks people! NS/2 is a team-game and teamwork is crucial. So when you do pro-team stuff, you get appreciation, and when you do anti-team stuff, you get flamed. Seriously, as long as it's clear to the team that the commander is trying their best and working with the team, nobody gets angry at the commander for a loss. Sure there's the one dummy who says FAILCOMM, BG COMM WAS A FAIL, COMM NOOB NOOBY COMM, but he pisses off his own team more than the commander losing ever will.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    summary:

Question: Is it bad to be doing things for personal gain at the team's expense?
    Answer: Yes
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019415:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:34 AM:name=frog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frog @ Nov 11 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude, those two scenarios are exactly the opposite. In the first example, you are being polite and working for the benefit of the team, in the second you are being a selfish jerk!

Being commander/khammander is a really stressful job. You take on a lot of responsibility when you jump in the chair/hive and your team respects you for that and lets you do what you think is best. Dumping the chair (btw leaving chair != abandoning comm) means your team has to stress over finding a new commander, when possibly no one is even near to the hive/CC, forcing the team to be stuck while the transfer happens and the original efforts of the to-be commander to be negated, and then the replacement comm has to spend time getting his bearings on what you've done before he can come up with a strategy that follows from it. That is a huge amount of time lost!

In your first example (the "flowers-throwing-tactic") this vacuum doesn't happen; in your second example, it <i>does</i> happen. That's what irks people! NS/2 is a team-game and teamwork is crucial. So when you do pro-team stuff, you get appreciation, and when you do anti-team stuff, you get flamed. Seriously, as long as it's clear to the team that the commander is trying their best and working with the team, nobody gets angry at the commander for a loss. Sure there's the one dummy who says FAILCOMM, BG COMM WAS A FAIL, COMM NOOB NOOBY COMM, but he pisses off his own team more than the commander losing ever will.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

alien commander stressful job ? oh please, it's nothing but waiting resources mostly, atleast in early- mid game, that's why it's easy to hop in as commander in middle of the game because it's so linear, unlike marine com, and that's why i ask in both examples nicely does anyone want to com, and if not, then i will just com rest of the game, and like any khammander should do, i hop out from hive when i'm waiting res and doing something actually useful.

since when making early upgrade for the team and resource tower is not helping team ? how does this differ to dropping 3rt's and hive ? it's different tactic, both helps team in different ways, other gives early upgrade for skulks, other gives fast advancing but risks them loss cause no upgrade for skulks, unless you want to say camoflauge is useless well that is totally different case.

who says i don't help team by skulking after i logout comm ? i do play as a team, i don't just go play deathmatch.

but if you want to say i'm an ###### for making those choises without consulting my team, then yea, i'm an ass, but i do it only because that's only way to play shade alien, or then i'm just unlucky not to find "noob khamm's" who go for shade. If someone would actually go for shade once in a while, i wouldn't be forced to do this.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    useless thread imo
  • w3st420w3st420 Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72615Members
    You are an extremely selfish and most likely rubbish player. If you go shade hive first, sure you have fun for 5 minutes, but you will most likely doom your team to a loss later in the game simply because if you don't secure a third hive you will be royally ###### without cele/adren or cara/regen. There is no way around it.

This is why we need less "pub" servers and more servers with admins, to ban fools like yourself.
    <!--quoteo(post=2019449:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:20 AM:name=w3st420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w3st420 @ Nov 11 2012, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are an extremely selfish and most likely rubbish player. If you go shade hive first, sure you have fun for 5 minutes, but you will most likely doom your team to a loss later in the game simply because if you don't secure a third hive you will be royally ###### without cele/adren or cara/regen. There is no way around it.

This is why we need less "pub" servers and more servers with admins, to ban fools like yourself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and this is why shade hive needs to be fixed, to stop flaming and hating.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    such a troll, why is this thread still here
  • Ernesti [CH]Ernesti [CH] Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168024Members
    edited November 2012
    afaik Celerity works only out-of-combat, or did that change? (regarding the "shift-first" decision)
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    I don't care what upgrade you choose first. If you hop in the chair, spend res then jump out for someone else to command you're not a team player. Go play combat mod if you want to play your own way, don't muck up everyone elses game because you're selfish. You could grab Shift then hop out for all I care, you're still being a ######.