Gorge... tunnels!?

2»

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2019231:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:51 AM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 11 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lets wait for some official confirmation, because we get all excited and worked up over nothing.

I wish it was true, but i dont see it happening.

But it would no doubt help aliens a great deal, not to mention make gorges more fun to play, instead as in a video where one of the devs played as a gorge, he sat around doing like nothing, its freaking boring playing gorge sitting in one hive room, and GL trying to get to another hive room without dying, and even then the other hive room doesnt have anystuff, now that would be so bad if you could move quickly between the hives.

BUt sitting in a hive room and killing the the rare marine that pops up, thats really bad game design. It would be like if engineers in TF2 just sat behind their turret all the time . And yes bad engineer does that :), but the tools are there to be more mobile and actually contribute to the team in other ways than turtle somewhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Charlie said on the ESL stream that it is happening, do you think a head of a company on a live stream to thousands of people would announce and exciting feature and then say.

"Just kidding guys!"

The devs know what a lot of this community are like, they'll post a thread on this forum and comment until it hits 100 pages slagging off UWE.

But really you need to take a look at the engine to see how AMAZING and practical it is. Can they not edit the levels in real time using the editor? If so, will Gorge tunnels actually link up areas of the map by physically creating a hole and tunnel under the map using some sort of pathing? Or is something more clever happening to allow marines/aliens to enter it?

Looking forward to it.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Charlie or another dev mentioned gorge tunnels ages ago. It isn't a joke...come on, look at all the stuff in the game, there's nothing weird about gorge tunnels.

I doubt it'll be a physical tunnel, more like an infestation based alien phase gate.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020661:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 12 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie or another dev mentioned gorge tunnels ages ago. It isn't a joke...come on, look at all the stuff in the game, there's nothing weird about gorge tunnels.

I doubt it'll be a physical tunnel, more like an infestation based alien phase gate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...with a decorated interior which looks kinda like a small intestine.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    Okay so I hate to be the one. But I'm not buying this.. They're would need to be an absolute ton of work for this to get coded in let alone not be buggy as all hell. I can't even begin to figure out how a tunnel would interact with the complex geometry or wall props.

The tunnel would also need to be able to raise and lower in altitude because not all rooms are the same height. which means a tunnel could potentially be formed directly to the CC with ease.

The only way I see this working is if there was massive amounts of restrictions. restrictions to the point where tunnels would simply be way too gimmicky. Restrictions like only having tunnelable walls in designated areas. which in that case would essentially be giving gorges "un"weldable vents.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Maybe it won't be an actual physical tunnel you'd have to travel through. It could work like a phase gate, but perhaps with some delay. Enter a hole, exit on the other side.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On the stream Charlie says they are working on them at the moment, and that aliens and marines will be able to 'get into the tunnels' and 'move through them'.

<a href="http://en.esl.tv/video/f383883109bcfcab/" target="_blank">http://en.esl.tv/video/f383883109bcfcab/</a> (2:41:30)

We'll just have to see whether that is literal or not?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2020682:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:45 PM:name=Shrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrimm @ Nov 12 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay so I hate to be the one. But I'm not buying this.. They're would need to be an absolute ton of work for this to get coded in let alone not be buggy as all hell. I can't even begin to figure out how a tunnel would interact with the complex geometry or wall props.

The tunnel would also need to be able to raise and lower in altitude because not all rooms are the same height. which means a tunnel could potentially be formed directly to the CC with ease.

The only way I see this working is if there was massive amounts of restrictions. restrictions to the point where tunnels would simply be way too gimmicky. Restrictions like only having tunnelable walls in designated areas. which in that case would essentially be giving gorges "un"weldable vents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have some ideas man. It is pretty easy. It will work like a phase gate. A gorge drops 2 entrances and if you +use one entrance you will be teleported to a small canal that is technically just a room in the map. You move through this tunnel (it could look different in every map) and when you reach its end, you will be teleported to the other entrance. Simple as that.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Hope the interior of the tunnels will give huge buffs to aliens so rines cant sit in there and get free kills.