New Player - Awesome expierence

MrPereaMrPerea Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169293Members
Hello my new home,
After seeing gamespots review of the game where they gave it 6/10 and called it to hard, I knew I had to buy this game. Mainsteam review site says an indie game is to hard? That means it must be an awesome game, and sure enough it is! I didn't find this game hard to learn at all though, maybe because I played NS1, but the people in game are always helpful. That, and as long as you can follow directions there is no reason a casual gamer shouldn't be able to pick it up and play.

I bought this game Friday night at 12 AM (as soon as I could cash my paycheck) and and played it 32 hours since.

I was hoping someone could recommend me to a server I could regulary play on, something west coast-ish, with a regular community I could get to know. Also, something moderated, nothing like joining a rookie server and having the commander curse you out and call everyone trash players for losing.

One other thing, is there something wrong with wanting to play marine? There seems to be a lot of players talking ###### about the guys and gals who go marine. I personally like marine more than alien, but I always like being human in games.

Comments

• IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing wrong with wanting to play as marine; they have a higher skill cap than aliens (or at least, skulks) and so have greater rewards for better skill.

I kinda find it ironic that Gamespots controversial review actually brought people to the game, but the more power to us, yay :D
  • d.n.M.d.n.M. Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166826Members
    Nothing wrong with playing marine. It's just that crowded sometimes as marine is much easier for new players. The first few hours of playing skulk can be slightly frustrating untill you get the hang of it.
  • PhilkPhilk Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167510Members
    My friend bought and played the first time with me, rage quit after 3 matches calling everything OP and didn't play again for a few days because he died hundreds of times and couldn't kill a thing, first time skulk is hard.
    I'll convince him to try again eventually, I'm a ball-ish ghost. =D
  • KoduKodu Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 167017Members
    Your friend is the best kind of person to troll. :D
  • AlbaAlba Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168779Members
    I am glad Gamespot's review didn't stop you from purchasing the game :D
    Search for "spikozaure" in steam and add me up, I am in the West Coast as well

I had the same feeling when I started; Marines are much easier to start with but ultimately you'll realize that it's much easier to play aliens in FFA :lol: it requires some time to get used to it but I feel like aliens don't need as much teamplay as the marines (stick with your skulk buddies and bite them all).
  • moydaduymoydaduy Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170236Members
    Marine is a nice way to go when starting.
  • nicholmikeynicholmikey Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165281Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019164:date=Nov 10 2012, 11:32 PM:name=MrPerea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrPerea @ Nov 10 2012, 11:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One other thing, is there something wrong with wanting to play marine? There seems to be a lot of players talking ###### about the guys and gals who go marine. I personally like marine more than alien, but I always like being human in games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nothing wrong with playing marine, but if you want to be a good player I would recommend mixing it up and playing alien some of the time.

From "The Art of War" :

If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
    If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
    if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.

So basically, to be a good marine you need to be a good alien. This goes especially for commanding.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2022477:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:02 PM:name=nicholmikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nicholmikey @ Nov 13 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing wrong with playing marine, but if you want to be a good player I would recommend mixing it up and playing alien some of the time.

From "The Art of War" :

If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
    If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
    if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.

So basically, to be a good marine you need to be a good alien. This goes especially for commanding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This!

Friend of mine found playing as a Marine hard and as Kharaa very very hard for a newbie.
    Once he actually tried Kharaa after playing Marines, he found playing as a Marine way easier because he understood the Kharaa more.
    TL;DR: mix it up to learn quicker.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game doesnt spoon feed you like CoD or Battlefields, it doesnt cuddle you at night and kiss your forehead.

Its brutal, against a good player you will lose everytime, trust me but by god its fun!

It often frustrating, often drags on but always fun.

I urge everyone to goto explore mode and try eveything Ive over 400hrs of beta play and still suck at fade, but I still try.