Who won?

TwinTwin Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168597Members
As a new player, I'm never really sure who's winning or losing the match.
Every now and then gameplay will stop and a message appears on the centre of my screen

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro-->MARINES WIN<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Oh right.
It's quite anti-climactic and I'd dare say.. sad.
The victory screen invokes no emotion or sense of achievement. It's not frustrating, exciting or satisfying.

Is there any chance of having some audio to accompany the build-up to the victory screen?
I'll often hear "Our hive is under attack" but that happens constantly throughout the match.
There's very little indication (other than one guy foaming at the mouth on VOIP) that you're about to lose the match (at least, as a new player I'm not sure what I should be looking at?). I'm never even aware of when we're winning either.

With other games you have constant indicators, whether it's Tickets, Enemy/Stronghold Damage bars or even just soundbites keeping you informed.

Or am I doing it all wrong?

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    there is music that plays when the cc/hive is almost dead and once it dies
  • TwinTwin Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168597Members
    Hmm, I'm not hearing it. In the options menu, is it classed as Sound or Music?
    (I can barely hear anyone using VOIP so I've put Voice slider to full, Music to very low and Sound to low.)
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020497:date=Nov 12 2012, 01:32 AM:name=Twin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twin @ Nov 12 2012, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, I'm not hearing it. In the options menu, is it classed as Sound or Music?
    (I can barely hear anyone using VOIP so I've put Voice slider to full, Music to very low and Sound to low.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe it is currently played as a "Sound" even though it is music. There is also a bug where voice volume is capped by whatever you put the sound volume to.

Check the map to see how many hives/chairs you have along with res nodes. The hive/chair health bars in the HUD should also add some suspense. If there's not much voice chatter going on, look for more vocal servers.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2020447:date=Nov 11 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Twin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twin @ Nov 11 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With other games you have constant indicators, whether it's Tickets, Enemy/Stronghold Damage bars or even just soundbites keeping you informed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a bar that appears on the bottom of your screen whenever a cc/hive is under attack that tells you what % it is at, no matter how far you are from it.

As far as knowing if this is the bar your looking at is the game-ender, it comes down to how aware you are of whats going on in the map (i.e. how many CCs the marines have or how many hives the aliens have)
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    The reason you are not hearing the music is probably because the teams are conceding. NS2 has a built in auto-concede feature, where the game ends if one team has many more players than the other one. The amount of player difference required to trigger it is set by the server operator.

In a normal game, very epic music plays whenever a CC or Hive gets near low health.
  • sparkasaurusmexsparkasaurusmex Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168200Members
    I think it would be awesome to have a game over screen showing scores and research levels and stuff.
    <!--quoteo(post=2020521:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:14 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Nov 12 2012, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a bar that appears on the bottom of your screen whenever a cc/hive is under attack that tells you what % it is at, no matter how far you are from it.

As far as knowing if this is the bar your looking at is the game-ender, it comes down to how aware you are of whats going on in the map (i.e. how many CCs the marines have or how many hives the aliens have)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah ha! Thank you for that, I've been taking notice of that bar now :)
    Hmm, maybe they could display all the bases' bars from left to right with the room location name above it.

<!--quoteo(post=2021105:date=Nov 12 2012, 07:50 PM:name=BVKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BVKnight @ Nov 12 2012, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason you are not hearing the music is probably because the teams are conceding. NS2 has a built in auto-concede feature, where the game ends if one team has many more players than the other one. The amount of player difference required to trigger it is set by the server operator.

In a normal game, very epic music plays whenever a CC or Hive gets near low health.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hm, I've tried various servers and sound configurations and I'm just not hearing the ending music. There is a slight/low volume music that plays AFTER the win and only lasts about 5 seconds.

<!--quoteo(post=2025791:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:06 PM:name=sparkasaurusmex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sparkasaurusmex @ Nov 16 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be awesome to have a game over screen showing scores and research levels and stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes this would be great!
    Straight after a match we're dumped into the Ready Room and can't view our performance as the scoreboards are wiped.
    There's only <b>just</b> enough time to say, "gg"or, "i h8 u all" and then the next map starts loading.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    If you're not satisfied with the Win screen then you're doing it wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026571:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:47 AM:name=SaniK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaniK @ Nov 17 2012, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're not satisfied with the Win screen then you're doing it wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for your insight, it was most helpful...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    How about some heroic glowing particle effect on the players of the winning team in the lobby after the match ended?
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    You have to use the map to see how you are doing. If it's 15 minutes into the match and marines have one base then you've probably lost.