Return Focus as a global passive based on Hives?

AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
I was thinking about how to make Aliens scale. Right now, it seems Aliens are supposed to be the team that controls the map, while the Marines are the team that turtle and try to win it back. What if Focus was returned and became a global passive (no need to be upgraded or selected for) benefit for all Aliens based on the number of Hives they had? So each Hive slows their attack speed by a percentage but increases their damage. It makes sense even outside of balance. If you need a "novel" way to explain it: Having one Hive means you attack fast but deal less damage. The Aliens are "desperate" in this sense. The more they expand and conquer the map, the more "focused" they become toward victory, leading to more precise, calculated, damaging attacks. Call it cheesy, but I think it works.

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why not replace focus with something that requires skill?

If a skulk has leap and lands a bit mid-air, have it deal bonus damage

If a fade shadowsteps or blinks, then lands a hit directly after, have it deal bonus damage

This way, aliens get more killing power depending on how "evolved" they are.

This already happens with the onos and charge anyway (try goring a marine while charging, its usually a 1 shot kill) , just make the mechanics work for other lifeforms as well

I've always found focus to be a bland upgrade at best (although usefull) and i truly do not want to see it come back, but i agree that aliens need some form of damage boot and I'd rather see it in the form of movement + attack than a passive per hives since i dont really want focus on a gorge or lerk.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022313:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:25 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Nov 13 2012, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not replace focus with something that requires skill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Focus doesn't require skill.... right...

Anyway OP I don't like your idea, since some people or classes just aren't good with focus. I would love to see focus back as a standard upgrade.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022313:date=Nov 13 2012, 10:25 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Nov 13 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not replace focus with something that requires skill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens take enough skill as it is. Why don't you rework Marines to take as much instead?