Spark Editor Crash

Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
I've been trying to learn the Spark Editor for the past week or so. I haven't gotten very far yet. One thing I have encountered every time I open the editor is my computer crashing completely. My screen turns pink with some horizontal bars. If I had audio playing, it will continue as if there was no problem, but I can't use the keyboard at all and am forced to do a hard reset.

This doesn't happen at any other time except when I am in the Spark Editor. I play NS2 or other games for hours without any kind of problem. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Comments

• Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    Nobody has any ideas about this at all?
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    The last time something like like this happened to me was back in 2004. The horizontal bars, rectangular squares, pink screen, blue screen, you name it, were all signs that my graphic card was about to blow up. I can't confirm that this is what's happening in your case, but my intuition tells me it's the about the same.
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    That's very odd. I used to get a similar error with the Crysis 2 Sandbox Editor. Strange artifacts would appear on my screen and I'd have to reboot, but sound would carry on playing. I still get it when playing certain games now.

Sounds to me like a graphics card issue. Try installing different drivers or try using a different graphics card and see if that gets rid of the problem.
  • TwixitTwixit Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167120Members
    Is your graphic-card overclocked?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    do you bsod after? what's the bluescreen say? like everyone else said, its a faulty gfx card. update your drivers or roll them back. if its oc'd then default it. could also just be an overheating card, but the editor isn't that resource intensive so i doubt that.
  • TwixitTwixit Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167120Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024463:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Nov 15 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do you bsod after? what's the bluescreen say? like everyone else said, its a faulty gfx card. update your drivers or roll them back. if its oc'd then default it. could also just be an overheating card, but the editor isn't that resource intensive so i doubt that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some times its not the overheating, some times its more the reason the card is working close to the edge.
    I just know that problem from older cards and when I OC´d them.
  • KootKoot Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165949Members
    edited November 2012
    Plz go into the windows event viewer (in administrative tools) and pinpoint the critical error message that should appear at the exact time (clock wise) of the crash.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    Well I'm running with a GTX 560 ti so I wuoldn't cnosider it an "older" card.

Also the reason i don't feell like it's a problem with the card itself necessarily is because this problem has not happened at all...when playing NS2 or any other game. It happened when I would open the Spark Editor. I wasn't even opening a large map that might be intensive. It was a blank slate.

I just updated my drivers earlier today though and was able to use the editor for a little while without incident. The former driver was 296 and it was updated to the latest (306). So I'm hoping that may have solved the problem.