After playing NS2 for about 1/2 a month......

HeavenOrHellHeavenOrHell Join Date: 2012-10-07 Member: 161756Members
On my laptop with 10 fps in combat

There are some persistant trends and things I have learnt from games

1) Early Onos Rush
Many, many threads on this, don't think I have to say more

2) Jetpackers in Cargo
This is plain ridiculous, on top of many complaining about how huge it is, Jetpackers can just fly from walkway to walkway right at the top of Cargo, rain GL shots at the hive and stuff. Skulks and Lerks have a hard time killing them and Fades cannot reach them.

3) Very, very close spawns pretty much screws Aliens over
For example, Marines spawn at Warehouse and Server Room for Aliens.
Marines build Sentries (more on that later) and an Armory right outside Server Room and just seige the Hive. 1-2 go around taking RTs and preventing the expansion to Elevator. Aliens have to pass a long hallway to get to the Marines as well. The Marines don't even need a phase gate.

4) Sentries
When they say a Skilled Skulk can take out Sentries, my god that Skulk must either have god-like kiting skills or have plenty of time to Parasite-kill the Battery. Or just terrible sentry placement. Every game without fail, Sentries around every corner, pointing down long hallways, choke points, covering each other and the power node.
Bile Bombs? Yeah they work with a coordinated attack, but it takes too long.
Sentries deny Aliens an attack route unless there are higher lifeforms such as a Lerk, which is a good 10mins.

Well enough of that, on to more lighter things

5) A Good Offense is the Best Defense
Always be on the offensive. This allows you to take Rts and secure objectives. Force a beacon, force some Marines to come after you cause you're chewing the Phase Gate or Extractor, force an Alien or two to come looking for you cause you are taking out their Upgrades or Harvesters.
Stuck on defense? Organise a coordinate push to break through it. Have 1-2 go distract at another location and the rest push in.
Having an outpost and seiging the Hive/CC is also a strong offensive maneuver.

6) A bunch of quotes that need no explaination (Taken from Sun Tzu Art of War)

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. (Yes, I'm looking at you suicidal Exos and Oni who have no clue when to back off, also applies to those who think he can 1v3 and win)

Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions. (Nuff said)

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperilled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperilled in every single battle. (Knowledge and information. Knowing where and what the enemy is up to is vital. AKA you are the eyes and ears of the comm. TELL YOUR COMM WHAT'S GOING ON DAMMIT)

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
(Terrible sorry for the wall of text)

7) Skulks for all that is holy
PLEASE DO NOT RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE WHEN ATTACKING
Walls, obstacles, zig-zags, figure 8, pirouette, wall jump etc. USE THEM
Makes you a million times harder to track and makes YOU SURVIVE and kill that Marine

8) Claw Exosuit
Can the Claw be on the Right instead of the Left? Since Marine Riflebutt is on Right Click as well.

TL;DR
Most of the things already mentioned in numerous threads, some tips and tricks that people keep forgetting, or don't know and some tiny QOL changes

Comments

• minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024308:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:49 AM:name=HeavenOrHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeavenOrHell @ Nov 15 2012, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4) Sentries
    When they say a Skilled Skulk can take out Sentries, my god that Skulk must either have god-like kiting skills or have plenty of time to Parasite-kill the Battery. Or just terrible sentry placement. Every game without fail, Sentries around every corner, pointing down long hallways, choke points, covering each other and the power node.
    Bile Bombs? Yeah they work with a coordinated attack, but it takes too long.
    Sentries deny Aliens an attack route unless there are higher lifeforms such as a Lerk, which is a good 10mins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not going to comment on the rest of the post; agree with some and not the rest. As far as sentries are concerned, here's how to take them down as skulk: watch their movement for a moment to see their firing cone. Once you see the area that none of them cover, either use leap or a quick walljump to go straight at and then over the sentries, and start biting at the weak point. Once the first sentry is down, the hole to take out the second is easier to spot, and the third is a cakewalk. There are a very very few commanders who can position sentries such that they all cover one another, but usually these can be taken down relatively easily by using the frame of one sentry as cover from the other.

Of course, generally bile bomb + strafing does the trick. I don't know how you're using bile bomb, but if you hit the battery a few times you should take down all three guns and the battery in about five seconds. When gorging, nothing makes me quite as happy as seeing a sentry emplacement.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    close spawns need to be removed, it needs be cross positions
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024308:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:49 AM:name=HeavenOrHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeavenOrHell @ Nov 15 2012, 09:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On my laptop with 10 fps in combat

4) Sentries
    When they say a Skilled Skulk can take out Sentries, my god that Skulk must either have god-like kiting skills...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since I switched to a new cpu NS2 became a completely different game. It's a HUGE difference if you play on a laptop or a normal desktop PC with a modern cpu. The framerate matters a lot, especially for skulking
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    After seeing a post that long, lost intrest at 1)
  • ruthven78ruthven78 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171330Members
    still takes awhile to get enough resourced to get onos....now the early skulk rush can be a problem if every marine leaves the initial base unguarded.

I have little problem taking down sentries as a skulk, but yeah, as mentioned the bile bomb takes em out pretty well.

and me = 40fps with graphics on highest setting....makes for awesome fun :)