Client Timeout Fix Solution Request

RedTalonRedTalon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171203Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">One method that could fix some players' Timeout issues</div><b>The Problem</b>

Here's the scenario. I join a server. The game reaches up to the point it preaches all resources. The screen goes black with a small note on the top left hand corner stating the build. I wait for about a minute and abruptly the screen returns to the menu screen and it says 'Timeout'. I am assuming that 'Timeout' means the client could not establish a connection to the server (ie. there was no response from the server for a period of time).

<b>Currently Obsolete Method</b>

If anyone else who experience the same problem but do not know how to get past it there was a solution before. The simple solution was reconnecting to the server you just got disconnected out of. There was two methods in doing this. Rejoin by the browser (which in itself has problems of its own, such as server list not appearing). Also you could rejoin by console command, 'connect (IP Address)'. Well for me these two methods works always.

Before the current patch I used the console command since I also have problems with loading the server list. Actually I use server browser to find a server to play and then use the console to find the ip address and then reconnect via console AFTER I get the Timeout message (if you do it too early you get the authentication error). It worked all the time. Hell, I picked up this method from another game (KF) with a very similar server disconnection.

<b>New Solution</b> (needs developer's help... or someone who can manipulate lua scripts)

Currently when you open up the console command to retrieve the ip address the console seems to show a lot of stuff that I barely understand, even more, you can't see the ip address that you connected to. This makes it very hard for me, and possibly others if I'm not the only case.

So, here's my suggestion to help me and... others. Add an extra console command that can retrieve the IP address the client tried to connect before (well I'm not a pro at programming but maybe you could store it in a string). Or make it even more easier by adding a console command 'reconnect' that attempts to connect to the ip address previously attempted to connect.

This is a little bit more extra concerning the authentication error check. I'm assuming the error pops up when the game detects the same steam id connected to the server but another identical id tries to connect. Instead of blocking the id until the server purges the id from the roster (ie. you have to wait for sometime) it might be easier to do it how valve does it. Valve games kicks the steam id from the server if an identical id tries the join. Of course the client trying to join will also get a message that authentication failed ("invalid steam id").

p.s. Could people try the method I mentioned, if they have similar or identical problem as stated before? That is, connect to the same server twice. It always works for me but I don't know if it works for others. Please post the result here and possibly it'll convince the developers to get this done.

Comments

• ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    Already exists. Type 'retry'.

Also, the authentication failed message probably means that you've lost connection to Steam momentarily. That happens to me sometimes, but only when rarely. I think it has to do with the game taking up all of the resources, freezing up for a moment, and during that freeze up everything times out. That's probably why the second time around works better.