How to deal with Dual-Exos?

LemonjaLemonja Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171511Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dual-Exos' aggressive pushing rape us all</div>Hi,

I'm a new player from NS2 launch. I have read General Discussion forum in these days and seen that many (maybe veteran) players said "Exos are easy to deal with. Jet+Shotty are definitely better".

But in my pub gameplay (with some newbies and some veterans), most Marine wins are lead by dual-exos. If we lose early-game on Alien side, after 15 minutes or so, two or three dual-exos with welders come to hive and just rape us. We spam bile bombs to exos, or try to kill welders by skulks, but they are just too powerful, tanky and long-ranged. Even if we have one onos, exos rape us all. If two onos - maybe we can fight but it's risky, and in most cases we don't have such resources (because we lose early-game).

So my question is, how should I deal with dual-exos?

Thanks,

Lemonja

Comments

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025008:date=Nov 15 2012, 03:39 PM:name=Lemonja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemonja @ Nov 15 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi,

I'm a new player from NS2 launch. I have read General Discussion forum in these days and seen that many (maybe veteran) players said "Exos are easy to deal with. Jet+Shotty are definitely better".

But in my pub gameplay (with some newbies and some veterans), most Marine wins are lead by dual-exos. If we lose early-game on Alien side, after 15 minutes or so, two or three dual-exos with welders come to hive and just rape us. We spam bile bombs to exos, or try to kill welders by skulks, but they are just too powerful, tanky and long-ranged. Even if we have one onos, exos rape us all. If two onos - maybe we can fight but it's risky, and in most cases we don't have such resources (because we lose early-game).

So my question is, how should I deal with dual-exos?

Thanks,

Lemonja<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game is honestly about resource denial of the opposing team. If you are not able to do that, then you're in for a world of hurt. The only consistent defense I've seen to dual-exos is umbra + onos + gorge heals and doing hit and runs all while the skulks kill off the welding marines.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One possible strategy (and a very effective one) is to go where the exos are not. Onos are much faster and heal relatively quickly with a gorge or two as support. Instead of confronting exos head-on, take another route around them and hit one of their bases. The exos cannot get back in time, and if you force a beacon, run away and let your teammates finish off the exos who have suddenly lost their welders due to the beacon.

If you can force the marines to go where you don't want them to go (ie. back to base to defend it) and you do it repeatedly, you can steadily wear them down and eventually destroy them.

Also, exos are particularly susceptible to lerk spike - they can't move fast and they're a big target, and lerks can roost on the ceiling in unexpected places.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    The best way to handle dual exo is to sneak behind enemy lines between 1:30-10:00 minutes and kill the marine res nodes. You can fight them when they arrive, and IF you win the marine team will be set back quite a bit, but it's better to just make them too expensive to research in the first place.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Also, the commander can sometimes prevent the EXO from retreating by placing a bone wall in its way.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    In NS you reap real rewards by being aggressive in the early game.

Are you denying the enemy resources? You don't have to cap every node, you just have to make sure the other guy caps none.

Are you pressuring the enemy base? As well as slowing down their expansion, it also allows you to see what they're doing. If you see a train getting ready to leave ON FOOT then that's your cue to get ready to rush them.

Does your team know? Tell them when you take out resources, or when a train is leaving, or when you see jetpacks. Are you going to Fade? Lerk? Tell your team. Coordination is vital.

If you're doing all tha above and STILL losing.... switch to Marines, see what they're doing. Maybe they're better players. Maybe their Comm rules with an iron fist. Learn from their success and then counter it next time you're on Aliens.

Personally I hate playing as Marines but it's a necessary evil in the process of learning the game. Knowing what they're doing to win will make defeating them a lot easier. Good luck.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Resource denial is the best counter to EXOs or jetpacks, by simply not allowing them. This isn't always possible.

With EXOs, there's a very simple flowchart. Is the EXO alone? If yes, you can take it easily. If the EXO has support form MACs or welding marines, you need to deal with that first.

Two best ways are to lerk spore the area, and bite the marines/MACs. This inhibits the EXOs visibility to track you, does damage to the marines you want to eat, and makes it easier to attack in groups by letting you close the distance more safely.

Secondarily, force a beacon. If the marines beacon to a tech point, the EXOs can't. That leaves them vulnerable. MACs can't weld as fast as you can damage, so go for the EXO then.

To take an exo down effectively, try to bite it in the back legs. Don't hold bite down, get behind it, and bite it from behind as it circles and strafes. Keep up with it's momentum, and you'll be soloing EXOs as a skulk in no time.

RE: Onos and EXOs: A good onos can solo two single gun EXOs, and one Dual very easily. Charge up to it, and get behind it and attack. The EXO panics, flails trying to get an aim on you, and usually does no more damage to you than a Weapons 3 marine. BUT, you have to close the distance fast. What kills an onos isn'tthe damage done when he's up close, it's what happens when he is running up ot engage.
    If you choose to do this, it's all in. If you try to escape a long corridor without killing an exo, odds are it'll mow you down in the escape.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025013:date=Nov 15 2012, 04:44 PM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Nov 15 2012, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is honestly about resource denial of the opposing team. If you are not able to do that, then you're in for a world of hurt. The only consistent defense I've seen to dual-exos is umbra + onos + gorge heals and doing hit and runs all while the skulks kill off the welding marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/end thread

Dual exos <i><b>should </b></i>be devastating, they cost 75 resources! If you let the other team (aliens or marines) get the upper hand resource-wise, you will soon see a devastating base rush of several dual exos / onos. The way to deal with a dual exo rush is to think "Hmm guess we need to capture more resource nodes next time" . =)
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited December 2012
    plain and simple.

step1.

gather most aliens near their base, leave small defence force at hive they are attacking to keep them back.

step2.

attack their mainbases power with huge force, if there is few marines, kill them but most should focus on power.

step3.

a) once power is down kill their commandcenter, have some other aliens to go their second base and destroy commandcenter there too = win. And this WILL happen if marines have too many exo's even if they beacon

b) if marines beacons in time, meaning you can't get powernode down and they only have few exo's, exo's are without support, kill the exo's -> game continues.

and this is only way you can counter dual-exo rush, other way is ofcourse massing onoses and using lerk umbra and gorge heals, but that is unlikely you have 3 hives nor resources for this situation.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Go lerk and spike the exo
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025042:date=Nov 15 2012, 10:18 PM:name=Gorgenapper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorgenapper @ Nov 15 2012, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, exos are particularly susceptible to lerk spike - they can't move fast and they're a big target, and lerks can roost on the ceiling in unexpected places.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me and another Lerk managed to completely decimate some Exo's using this method in a game the other night denying them access to the hive for some time.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    Try to force a beacon by having a gorge and a fade harassing the base. Taking down the arms lab (power or arms lab itself) is pretty effective when fighting exos.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Counters so far to things mentioned.

Jetpacks = Lurks with spores and hydras about

Exos = 1 Onos and two Gorges with bile bomb.

As essentially armour only units exos are more vulnerable to bile than standard marines. Having an Onos charging them and two gorges using their bile like a mortar shooting over cover (or their own low clog walls) can down exos no end.

Using this plan before in a match me as a gorge with a second gorge, an Onos and a skulk took down a force of two exos and 5 accompanying marines. only costing us the Onos after he pushed a bit too hard.

The thing is a good fade can solo a lone exo if it comes down to it and the fade is good enough
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025008:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Lemonja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemonja @ Nov 15 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So my question is, how should I deal with dual-exos?

Thanks,

Lemonja<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    don't, marines are over powered, like in combat.
    you can only pray for noobish marines/commander to win the game.

<!--quoteo(post=2045471:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:44 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 14 2012, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Counters so far to things mentioned.

Jetpacks = Lurks with spores and hydras about<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you will say, lerks are the only way to counter jetpacks?
    Jetpacks = price 10 res = you have 3 tries...
    Lerk = price 30 res = if you die you are doomed
    jetpacks and many other marine stuff is just over powered and i don't understand people doesn't get it.
    it is true, but ignorant people don't see all the marine stuff you can not counter as aliens.
    thats one of the reason why "random team" join, you most of the time move you to the alien side...NOBODY WANT BE ALIENS.
    a lerk get killed with just 2 hits, while a lerk need 3-4 bites for a single marine or a half hour to kill him with spikes...gas don't count it need upgrade cost.

<!--quoteo(post=2045471:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:44 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 14 2012, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exos = 1 Onos and two Gorges with bile bomb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you say to counter one single exo you need onos and two gorges?
    if you mean 1 onos and two gorges for more exos you never played the game seriously, the onos die in seconds about a dual minigun exo...except if the marines don't have wp3, then it take 2-4 seconds more...

its sad how the game evolves and the devs do no content upgrades to balance it.
    the most won games by aliens are just because of new marine players or bad marine commander.
    if both teams give their best, you can't beat marines.
    as skulk you must be a freak which means you have to play skulk nearly perfect to kill marines.
    im so disapointed in ns2, ns1 did way more fun.
    everytime i see a jetpack marine, i could vomit my screen...because there is nothing to counter, a skulk with leap is useless crap.
    if a bunch of shotgun jetpack marines rush your hive, you can't do anything, except if you spend 50 or 30 res...
    there are no webs, no accid rockets, no fade healing, no primal scream, no offensive chambers (hydras are a JOKE!) and so many other missing features.

the result of all this, i only play marines now and yes it is fun to beat aliens on and on and on.
    it is funny because like every alienvideo of hugh from ns2HD, his alien team is loosing.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    be a skulk, bounce around their feet. :)
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046888:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM:name=frmehe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frmehe @ Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->don't, marines are over powered, like in combat.
    you can only pray for noobish marines/commander to win the game.

you will say, lerks are the only way to counter jetpacks?
    Jetpacks = price 10 res = you have 3 tries...
    Lerk = price 30 res = if you die you are doomed
    jetpacks and many other marine stuff is just over powered and i don't understand people doesn't get it.
    it is true, but ignorant people don't see all the marine stuff you can not counter as aliens.
    thats one of the reason why "random team" join, you most of the time move you to the alien side...NOBODY WANT BE ALIENS.
    a lerk get killed with just 2 hits, while a lerk need 3-4 bites for a single marine or a half hour to kill him with spikes...gas don't count it need upgrade cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well considering jetpacks are also an upgrade spores are a fair counter, also a well played fade can use blink to fly after them to an extent.

<!--quoteo(post=2046888:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM:name=frmehe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frmehe @ Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you say to counter one single exo you need onos and two gorges?
    if you mean 1 onos and two gorges for more exos you never played the game seriously, the onos die in seconds about a dual minigun exo...except if the marines don't have wp3, then it take 2-4 seconds more...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Onos is there to take the fire, yes the Onos will most likely die but played smart with carapace and celerity and some crags about you can get the Onos to hit and run the slower Exo units with the Gorges bile bomb the hell out of them.

it takes time but its possible and its 105 - 120 resources your side vs 155 theirs (75 each for dual exos and 5 for a Marine with a Welder)

<!--quoteo(post=2046888:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM:name=frmehe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frmehe @ Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its sad how the game evolves and the devs do no content upgrades to balance it.
    the most won games by aliens are just because of new marine players or bad marine commander.
    if both teams give their best, you can't beat marines.
    as skulk you must be a freak which means you have to play skulk nearly perfect to kill marines.
    im so disapointed in ns2, ns1 did way more fun.
    everytime i see a jetpack marine, i could vomit my screen...because there is nothing to counter, a skulk with leap is useless crap.
    if a bunch of shotgun jetpack marines rush your hive, you can't do anything, except if you spend 50 or 30 res...
    there are no webs, no accid rockets, no fade healing, no primal scream, no offensive chambers (hydras are a JOKE!) and so many other missing features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its actually just part ot the Meta game. Presently in Pubs Exos aren't used that much its more Arc rushes with maybe 1 exo to defend them.

<!--quoteo(post=2046888:date=Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM:name=frmehe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frmehe @ Dec 17 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the result of all this, i only play marines now and yes it is fun to beat aliens on and on and on.
    it is funny because like every alienvideo of hugh from ns2HD, his alien team is loosing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually there's some stats about detailing wins and losses and apparently aliens have a 65% win rate so far.
  • ZaphrousZaphrous Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165462Members
    edited December 2012
    Gorges are extremely powerful particularly with adren. You can outflank them and take out their base power. If they beacon then the exos are without repairs and you can just attrition them with skulks.

1 carapace onos moving around/behind beats 1 dual exo if you start in melee range. 2 dual exos or 1 at long range can destroy an onos and often take little. Lerks are good at hitting exos. Aggressive skulks will kill exos by attrition if they dont have support. If their whole team is pushing, it is usually a lost cause trying to stand up to them. You want to slow them down with gorges skulks and lerks, fades can prevent respawning marines from rejoining the group while your team base trades them.
    Aliens have good speed. If you have 3 hives you can base trade and usually win. If they have 3 then you might be able to base trade and win but you will probably have to have the res to quickly re-drop hives.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    1 Onos with a skulk or two can keep multiple Exo's out of most hives on a map like Veil. Even 1 skulk chomping above a doorway will scare some exo's into hanging back.
  • kalvkalv Join Date: 2004-09-04 Member: 31339Members
    Bile bomb is the most effective weapon against armor. Do coordinated attacks with gorges or you can attack another part of the map where the exos aren't around take advantage of Exo's lack of mobility.