Wont play till Aliens are Fixed

13»

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The overall winrate hides map problems. Veil and summit are about 50%.

Marines won only 18 games out of 76 games on refinery. (76% alien favored). Mineshaft and tram are 68% alien favored.

On veil aliens have 75% when they spawn in cargo.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Veil is actually probably the worst map to play as alien, cargo start or not. Mineshaft is a distant second. Those long corridors and few props to hide in mean predictable ambush spots and ranged weapon domination. Also cargo is læwl when marines get jetpacks. Jetpackers in cargo => F4 time. As far as mineshaft goes... that cave hive - just læwl.

Speaking from experiences from the late beta mostly.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    One thing for sure, it's a lot of fun to play with cloaking now :D

But gorge bile bomb still blocks his celerity >:/
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Then learn to command.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025511:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:56 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 16 2012, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they get scared of aliens and wants to turtle in base and start to cry turrets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->exact description of siedge maps :D \o/
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025521:date=Nov 16 2012, 05:03 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 16 2012, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Veil is actually probably the worst map to play as alien, cargo start or not. Mineshaft is a distant second. Those long corridors and few props to hide in mean predictable ambush spots and ranged weapon domination. Also cargo is læwl when marines get jetpacks. Jetpackers in cargo => F4 time. As far as mineshaft goes... that cave hive - just læwl.

Speaking from experiences from the late beta mostly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The simple fact that there's only 4 tech points makes the quarters VERY tight and puts way more pressure on aliens to win their encounters. It's just not a very well balanced map for NS2.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Agree with OP.

And how exactly can marines adapt when 2 crags and 2 whips give total protection for a hive being shot at by 5 marines, while all the alien skulks with in-battle regen are munching them as well? If marines aim for a second base, that can be taken out so easily or the green-glowing aliens can harass main base. And anyway even if you have a second base set up, the aliens are only playing with you -- they are sitting back till onos arrives at 7min (max, though I've seen 5min) to wipe out all expansions.

If you are able to get to GL+Jetpack as marines in 229, your alien opponents must just be rookies who have no clue what to do. One game marines won yesterday was when the aliens didn't know how to fight, and just sat back as we built 4 comm chairs around the map. If they had come as a group to claim even one more hive we would have lost.

If I go aliens now, with some NS1 experience and 3 weeks of NS2 play, I can almost guarantee victory for aliens if at least half the team knows to harass the marines with regen at spawn while we get a few res nodes up and save for onos. Talking of onos -- how the heck can a gigantic creature like that outrun a jetpacking marine?

Furthermore aliens get unlimited whips while marines are limited to three crappy sentries per room which basically can be taken out in no time, AND the whips can move. What the heck is that about? Even so, I still didn't mind in 228 because either side could still win. But now? Just lame.

And I was so happy to see how well balanced it was in 228.

Really disappointed with what UWE have done.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2025407:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:32 AM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 16 2012, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be really honest, there seems to be a real lack of good Marine commanders for some reason. I know they're out there, because I've had match ups with some guys that were truly amazing. But the last few days I've kind of felt bad. I've tried playing as Marines a few times, even commanding, and tentatively I think the big issue is that Marines like to split up a hundred different ways and die in a fire for the first two minutes, then get scared and refuse to leave base. They also seem to be completely unaware of even the most basic tenants of Natural Selection 2 play, such as using a phase gate instead of walking across the map every time. Or checking the map to see where a res node is being destroyed. They are rambo on a mission, and stopping to build a res node is not a part of that mission.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^This!

The games I played weren't won because of regenerating skulks. They were won because of bad marine commanders. Coms that don't know that playing aggressive is key. Coms that don't know how to speak to their marines, so they form squads and get things done. Coms that just look at the battle instead of pumping scan, medpacks and ammo but sitting on >100 res.

The player skill even 16 days after release is varying largely. Even yesterday I found people that didn't know what bile bomb does. Or that Leap needs to be upgraded first.
    The balance shift is just because all the experienced players trying the new patch. This patch changed only alien-stats so every experienced player is playing aliens. While all the new players are keep sticking to marines.
  • BuckfastBuckfast Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158627Members
    couldn't it be reverted to the last patch until the new one is ready?

I'm at 20 aliens - 1 marines, not fun anymore.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how exactly can marines adapt when 2 crags and 2 whips give total protection for a hive being shot at by 5 marines, while all the alien skulks with in-battle regen are munching them as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They use something other than an LMG for a base rush. I mean, skulks try and base rush with five guys and get shut down plenty of times. I suppose 5 Marines without any siege weapons should <i>totally</i> win every time despite not having any of the specific tools available to them for killing structures. Even one flamethrower turns a hive into a bonfire. Just because your commander is new and can't play the game is no reason to whine about Alien structures not dying in a well-defended hive to five unprepared and under-geared Marines.

<b><i>Regen is being reverted</b></i>, but you won't stop crying there. That much is patently obvious.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm at 20 aliens - 1 marines, not fun anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Without total matches played as Aliens/Marines, your continued use of a meaningless statistic is laughable. If you've only played 21 games, and most of them were as aliens and you're amazing as an alien but a crappy Marine, you would see the same f'ing result mate.

I win the vast majority of my games as Aliens, but I'm also commander in almost every single one of those and I consider myself to be a pretty good Alien commander. Most of the people that played with me agree, although some of them might not actually like me. Does that mean Aliens are over powered? Or does it mean I know how to enable my team to win therefore we do win when matched up against Marine Commanders that literally <i>don't know what the buttons do</i>.

The very few times I play on Marines it's not uncommon for <i>no one at all</i> to get into the Command chair until the Skulks are already inside the main base. There's no one even <i>in</i> the main base, because everyone scattered to the four winds. It's just so night-and-day it's laughable. The sad thing is, when one person does ball up and gets into the chair Marines will rip that person a new one for not doing things a certain way, despite that same player being <i>totally unwilling</i> to get into the chair.

It's a toxic Marine environment that no good Marine player would subject themselves to.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They also seem to be completely unaware of even the most basic tenants of Natural Selection 2 play, such as using a phase gate instead of walking across the map every time. Or checking the map to see where a res node is being destroyed. They are rambo on a mission, and stopping to build a res node is not a part of that mission.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS.

As a marine commander, I need more marines that can check the map for themselves and report on events around the map. If you see Skylights RT flashing, get the F over there and save it. If you see a base under attack, don't keep it to yourself, say it on the chat. Actively seek out nearby harvesters and kill it even if you have to jump around and pour all of your ammo into it while you're getting bit.

The FPS skills are useful, yes, but the game is ultimately a war for resources and map control - deny them the resources and you'll be in a great position to win.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, Charlie's agreeing with the OP so knowing UWE I suppose we can only fear for the worst in terms of balancing. God forbid regeneration, camfoulage, whips and crags are actually useful. (Which is not to say the regen rate is not too much, but charlie indicated in a different thread that it's being reverted instead of fine-tuned, which is just poor balancing imo...)

I don't know what server the OP plays on, but I don't have a noticeably harder time winning as marines than I did as aliens. Marines are still a hell of a lot easier to play than aliens, but they do need a proper commander.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025603:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agree with OP.

And how exactly can marines adapt when 2 crags and 2 whips give total protection for a hive being shot at by 5 marines, while all the alien skulks with in-battle regen are munching them as well? If marines aim for a second base, that can be taken out so easily or the green-glowing aliens can harass main base. And anyway even if you have a second base set up, the aliens are only playing with you -- they are sitting back till onos arrives at 7min (max, though I've seen 5min) to wipe out all expansions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The cost of 2 crags and 2 whips is far from trivial. It implies marines scratched their balls while aliens evolved crag hive and saved up 50 res to spend on stupid buildings which go down in 1 minute of concentrated fire, especially with w1 or w2. 5 Marines in the hive... shooting the hive, I'm guessing? And ignoring everything else? I.e. 5 stupid marines who don't know how to play? If you don't have a shift or another hive and you put down 2 whips and 2 crags around your only hive, you'll be egglocked by an experienced marine team before you can even realize it. Then again, an experienced marine team won't let you have enough res for stupidity such as whips.

<!--quoteo(post=2025603:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are able to get to GL+Jetpack as marines in 229, your alien opponents must just be rookies who have no clue what to do. One game marines won yesterday was when the aliens didn't know how to fight, and just sat back as we built 4 comm chairs around the map. If they had come as a group to claim even one more hive we would have lost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same can be said about alien teams. Inevitably one team loses because the other team's better... that's kind of what the game is all about.

<!--quoteo(post=2025603:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I go aliens now, with some NS1 experience and 3 weeks of NS2 play, I can almost guarantee victory for aliens if at least half the team knows to harass the marines with regen at spawn while we get a few res nodes up and save for onos. Talking of onos -- how the heck can a gigantic creature like that outrun a jetpacking marine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With 450+ hours played in NS2 so far, I can almost guarantee that marines who don't leave their base and measure the "level of aggression" on their starting position and respond appropriately (i.e. 2-3 skulks attacking, max 2 marines defending, the rest all over the map) don't know what they're doing, and appropriately enough deserve to lose.

<!--quoteo(post=2025603:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Furthermore aliens get unlimited whips while marines are limited to three crappy sentries per room which basically can be taken out in no time, AND the whips can move. What the heck is that about? Even so, I still didn't mind in 228 because either side could still win. But now? Just lame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The whips can't hit while they move, and they can only be rooted on infestation. They're also a terrible, terrible investment for their cost. They're a simple meatshield for 15 t.res which a gorge can accomplish for free with a clog wall. If your commander is building whips before the second hive and most hive (not chamber) upgrades, I'd suggest considering ejecting him, or at least counseling him because it's fairly clear he has no idea what he's doing. One whip on your upgrades to deter axe ninjas, or a whip near 2-3 gorges is acceptable. More than that is not, at least early game. Late game if aliens are winning, it's a case of "how can I more creatively waste this res that I have except spam onos eggs? Oh, right. Whips!"

Edit: P.S. You do realize you can recycle sentries/batteries, right? If you want to move them you can do it pretty cheaply. Moving the whole set costs 4 t.res by my estimation, and doesn't even require power. Compare that to the cost of echoing whips or spreading infestation to a place they would be rooted in, and being unable to recycle them even if you can see they're about to die. Yeah...

<!--quoteo(post=2025603:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 16 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I was so happy to see how well balanced it was in 228.

Really disappointed with what UWE have done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except it wasn't.

Almost every experienced player moaned when regen was chosen instead of carapace and cara was more or less a must for fade/onos. Camo was nearly useless, crags were JUST UTTERLY useless. They took about 30 minutes (exaggeration) to heal 50% on a hive, even with heal wave on, and you were better off running back and forth to a hive as onos or even fade rather than waiting for a couple of crags or even 3 to heal you and risk actually dying next to them. Blink had a delay after exit before swipe, making fade extremely annoying to play.

Changes are desperately needed to make regen and the shade hive more attractive. I really wish they'd fix feign death and put it back in, it really made shade hive more worthwhile for lerks/fades.
  • g0dAr1esg0dAr1es Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171558Members
    edited November 2012
    So I really think this thread has run its course. As there was all ready a response from the devs.

I have increased my wins with marines by finding out a few things about how to not only better command, but understand more of what/who you are commanding. Depending on the sever of course, it still demands higher micro management to achieve the same results than that of aliens. When I do command I find myself sometimes seeming like a over controlling boss, which is no fun for me, or the players that I am giving orders to.

I still very much enjoy the game, and though at the beginning, I seemed very angry, it really is still frustrating. There are very valid points that have come up here and on other threads. I have taken some of the suggestions and have found some mild success.

I do feel a few things though that are quite bothersome, but it seems they are being addressed.

As for suggestions of problems here are my thoughts:

I do believe regen was very much never used, and needed something to make it better, it just became to good.
    Suggestion:
    Heal does not work in battle (taking damage). Instead there is a (x) second delay until healing occurs, healing at a rate of (x) if below 50% hp, and healing at (x) rate if above 50% hp.
    The heal if below 50% is higher than the heal if above 50% health.

This still encourages the hit and run tactics, but provides the risk for both players. Aliens still can attack and regen, but not as quickly (in full hp). But, if you choose to go back in you have enough hp to actually accomplish a goal. For marines, this gives more time realizing that if you didn't score enough hits before they ran away, that you can still have time to recover if they come in for a second attack.

Thoughts? Does it make since?
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026196:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:31 PM:name=g0dAr1es)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g0dAr1es @ Nov 16 2012, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I really think this thread has run its course. As there was all ready a response from the devs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably. I'll say this to you though, I'm a crappy skulk yet I'm a fantastic Aliens commander. You might be a crappy Marine, but a great Commander too. Find your groove and you'll be a lot happier in Natural Selection.

(I do admit I love playing Gorge. I'm just not really great at instant reflexes, but I have a brain. This game allows me to compete in spite of my handicap, which I enjoy.)