Thoughts on SG balance?

2»

Comments

• BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028048:date=Nov 18 2012, 11:51 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 18 2012, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wider and even spread, more pellets, with adjusted dmg based on the increase to perform the same DPS at point blank range - but prevent ~150 shots from across warehouse.
    Finally a shotgun that fits it's designed role.. and increases skill requirement to perform well, which consequently makes playing fade or lerk far less frustrating / binary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you Ironhorse!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2028064:date=Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 18 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However fades need a hp buff so they can endure SG a bit, or focus so they can feel like an SG.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I tend to agree yeah, would make him also scale better in end game instead of being downed in 2 shots :/
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2028050:date=Nov 18 2012, 12:53 PM:name=xxswatelitexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xxswatelitexx @ Nov 18 2012, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A good reason for 1 shotting i is Xeno.
    I have seen 5 marines taken out with 1 xeno.

If a Skulk can do 5 kills to a ball of death with a single guy. I think 1 shot is justified deterent to suicide skulks late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Difference is that xeno is a 3 hive tech and when used (unless it has been buffed and I didn't know about it), it does rather low damage and kills the skulks regardless of if it killed any marines. An average SG marine can get more than 5 kills and is getting pres the entire time to get a new SG after they die (or go JP/Exo or a different weapon).

TBH, I think that Ironhorse's suggestion was great. Maybe changing the rof/dmg like suggested as well. Something that would get rid of stupid, BS 1-shots.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Stop trying to change the shotgun to fix problems that dont exist... The NS2 shotgun already fires comparatively quite slow, its a little over a second delay per shot. That means that if you dont get the one shot kill, against skulks of equal skill there is a good chance you will die.

Fix the fade and lerk roles first, then balance the shotgun.. Dont balance the shotgun around a fade and lerk that are not what they need to be, then your just going to have to balance it twice...
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    I think the shotgun is weaker than it should be if anything because of netcode. Most of the time a skulk in 100% one-shot chance range will be able to hit you especially if you are moving away from him because he will bite you from what you see as far away, so a skulk will always hit you once before dying with one-shots. Skulks will also one-shot <b>YOU</b> if they get 3 bites in succession, even though to you it takes that many bites to kill, you won't be able to retaliate between those bites because you will be dead by the time they get into one-shot range.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Shotgun seems Ok against Skulks and Lerks (not going to discuss how well a gorge stands up to close combat fighting). However it seems too powerful against Fades. As a skulk, you are a free lifeform, and therefore, for equal skill, should not be able to stand up against a shotgun. That being said, most shotgun marines are typically not very difficult to kill, unless you come up against someone who has good single shot aiming, in which case they deserve the reward for being good at the kind of aiming the shotgun benefits from. The Lerk simply should not be taking on shotgunners in close range. If you die that way, its your fault.

I feel the Fade costs to much to be essentially one shotted by the shotgun. If you take some wayward rifle fire while blinking into a room, and happen to be hit point blank as you attempt to attack a marine in melee (the only thing you can do) you stand a very good chance of hitting zero health in under 2-3 seconds, which just isn't fair for 50 res.