changing ign

ThuginRealHardThuginRealHard Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172689Members
is it possible to change my in game name? im new to steam and wasnt too sure how everything works. idk how but some how i ended up with my first and last name as my ign which is also my email adress... the only place i entered that info was in the email field

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    go to the menu or type name "namehere" into console
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited November 2012
    You need to change this on Steam since it will affect all your games.

<ol type='1'><li>Open up Steam</li><li>On the top bar click "My Profile" and then "My Profile" again</li><li>On the right hand side of this page is a text box that says "ACTIONS", it has things like Games, Friends etc...</li><li>In this box click "EDIT MY PROFILE" at the top, click it.</li><li>On this page is a line for your profile name, change it, then scroll to the very bottom and click the green SAVE button.</li></ol>

You're done. :)
  • ThuginRealHardThuginRealHard Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172689Members
    tried both and it doesnt seem to change...
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2030993:date=Nov 21 2012, 03:46 AM:name=ThuginRealHard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThuginRealHard @ Nov 21 2012, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tried both and it doesnt seem to change...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What's not changing?

Open Steam, click on COMMUNITY and then click on PROFILE. Below the words 'STEAM PROFILE" do you see the new nickname you entered? If yes, and if that is not the name showing up in NS2, then perhaps exit and restart Steam. If your old name is showing up on that page, then try my instructions again. If it still won't change contact Steam support.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    you can't use spaces in the name command because UWE forgot to include the space as a character. I wish they would stop forgetting about it, it's been like 4 years....
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Open up the console(keybind to open console is in the options) and type <b>name "your new nickname"</b>. You have to be in a game for this to work.

You can also open up the game options and there is a Name field, just erase the contents and type your new name.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Go to OPTIONS. Top line there is NICKNAME. Delete and type whatever name you want.
    edited November 2012
    I did exactly that. I changed the nickname in profile and I went in game n typed name but it never changed. Ill try restarting steam later. Gn

EDIT: I tried restating n different name combinations n the name in game won't change
    edited November 2012
    If you are using Windows 7, try this...

Go to this directory:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

Find the file named options.xml
    Open it in NOTEPAD
    Do a search for the word "nickname", it should be near the bottom
    Change your nickname and then save it

See if that works.
    i dnt have a roaming folder on my drive and the only place i can find a natural selection file is a file thats only a internet shortcut and only 1kb in size
    Sorry, I made a small typo on the path name, I corrected it.

I should also have mentioned, you need to have the "show hidden files and folders" button clicked to see the appdata folder. If you don't have that set, you won't be able to see the folder. (you can change it by clicking TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS and then click on the VIEW tab, the option is there.) See if that lets you see that folder, and then you can try my post above again.
    edited November 2012
    ahhh ok ty for clearing that up. i made it to the ns2 folder inside it i found the system_options.xml file which was the only options file, once i opened it there was no nickname in the text. maybe i have to add it into the code except i dnt kno where to place it...

heres whats in the system_options file and if you could edit it for me so i kno where to place the nick it would be great :D

<options>
    <graphics>
    <display>
    <anti-aliasing>false</anti-aliasing>
    <window-mode>windowed</window-mode>
    <display-buffering>0</display-buffering>
    <shadows>false</shadows>
    <anisotropic-filtering>false</anisotropic-filtering>
    <bloom>false</bloom>
    <fov-adjustment>0.000000</fov-adjustment>
    <quality>0</quality>
    <x-resolution>1280</x-resolution>
    <y-resolution>800</y-resolution>
    <ambient-occlusion>off</ambient-occlusion>
    <atmospherics>false</atmospherics>
    </display>
    <infestation>minimal</infestation>
    <multithreaded>false</multithreaded>
    <texture-streaming>false</texture-streaming>
    </graphics>
    <voiceVolume>100</voiceVolume>
    <musicVolume>42</musicVolume>
    <system>
    <runs>24</runs>
    <build>232</build>
    </system>
    <soundVolume>40</soundVolume>
    </options>
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    And you can change your name on the fly with......... <!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro-->T<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#556B2F--><span style="color:#556B2F"><!--/coloro-->H<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro-->E<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->C<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->O<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->N<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#48D1CC--><span style="color:#48D1CC"><!--/coloro-->S<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->O<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#9932CC--><span style="color:#9932CC"><!--/coloro-->L<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->E <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Just type: Name *Your name*

FYI.... No spaces, sorry

-Daniel
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    edited November 2012
    options menu

OR

while connected to a server, in console (~): name "your name here" in the quotes for spaces.
    Like I said before I did that n it doesn't work...
    It sounds like you may have a problem in the game. Open up steam, click on LIBRARY, then in the games list right click on Natural Selection 2 and select properties. Now click on the LOCAL FILES tab and then click the VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE button. Once it has finished, try running NS2, open OPTIONS and then in the spot where it has your nickname, click your cursor on top of your name so you see a cursor at the end of your nickname, then hit backspace to remove and replace it.

If that still doesn't work then you can do a reinstall by going to that same Steam properties page and clicking DELETE LOCAL GAME CONTENT. That will remove the game and you can reinstall.

Before you do, you did change your nickname in Steam right? That did work properly, yes? (On your profile page it has your new nickname?)