New Marine Weapon: Personal Defense Weapon (PDW)

pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">20 tres, 45 seconds researched from Armory, 20 pres to buy</div>Most combat in NS2 takes place in close quarters, where player collisions and particle effects play against Marines trying to track warping Skulks, who do not require perfect aim to deal damage. Sub-machine guns have been in use for decades, so why don't the Marines have a close quarters counter-part? I think the Marine arsenal could use some variety, and adding a Personal Defense Weapon would diversify the Marine mid-game without replacing the Shotgun.

<!--QuoteBegin-"Suggested PDW Values"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Suggested PDW Values")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Primary Fire: PDW
Function: Inflicts damage on targeted player or structure, with damage fall-off past medium range
Damage: 10
Damage Type: Normal
Range: 40
Fire Delay: 0.044 (approx)
Clip Size: 36
Description: A high recoil sub-machine gun with a high rate of fire. Effective at short range.

Secondary Fire: Burst-fire
Function: Fires 3 rounds of automatic fire
Damage: 10
Damage Type: Normal
Range: 40
Fire Delay: 0.044 (approx)
Description: The Burst Fire Trigger allows for instantaneous transition between burst and automatic fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The PDW would have a <b>20% higher DPS per magazine at medium range</b> if all shots connect. Introducing a recoil system similar to Counter-Strike or Black Ops 2 would add depth to the Marine skill curve and promote better aiming and ammo conservation. <b>It should have a quicker reload time to compensate for its -28% clip size</b>. It should be ineffective against long-range Skulks and Lerks, due to 9mm ballistics and recoil issues. The recoil should be like a cone of fire that widens after the first 3 shots, then becomes more narrow at an appropriate rate when not firing. <i>Movement should not affect recoil, only firing.</i> Many would argue that adding a recoil system introduces a certain luck factor, but this already exists in the form of Lerk spines and Shotgun spread. The Marine needs a way to deal with multiple pre-Onos life-forms using pres, and the PDW is a way to balance the mid-game. It should share the same tres and pres penalties as Shotguns due to its high DPS.

Possible Concept Art: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpul_PDR" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpul_PDR</a>
Possible Recoil Pattern: <a href="http://oi48.tinypic.com/1goyea.jpg" target="_blank">TinyPic link</a>

Comments

• kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    i am with you, marines need additional weapons fitting to different gameplay styles with certain cons and pros balancing their power; like m4a1 vs ak47 in counterstrike, both are equally deadly but ak47 has always been my favourite. i for example hated the assault rifle,(the design is cool though) its boring and repetitive and weaponary you can buy is immensely expensive and easy to lose.
    shotgun has fine mechanics and deserve its res requirement, but flamethrower is complete trash despite its cost. 25res, i would only pay 5 res for it...

a sub machine gun with high mobility, less damage would be cool. or a battle rifle with low mobility high power would also be cool.

also whats wrong with the switchaxe? you can't hit a moving object unless you duck?
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    edited November 2012
    The gun you're suggesting literally has the same ROF and same damage as the LMG, but smaller clip size and range(?). And recoil?

Nobody would use this gun over the LMG.

EDIT: And marines don't need an anti-onos gun, that's what Exos are.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    its missing an iron sight
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The gun you're suggesting literally has the same ROF and same damage as the LMG, but smaller clip size and range(?). And recoil?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.

Eliminate the recoil, but give it a higher rate of fire, lower damage, and lower ammo capacity and you might have something. In the end it comes down to- does it have a higher damage per second than the LMG? If so, it will need to cost some money - like 10 res.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Who would buy a weapon with a smaller clip than the lmg? The lmg's damage is already pretty high, the difficulty lies in getting all the bullets on target. If anything, the marines could use to see the hmg back in action but lets first look what the railguns are going to be like.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    edited November 2012
    The gun I am suggesting <b>has a higher ROF than the LMG</b> <strike>(0.08 PDW to 0.1 of LMG)</strike> (0.044 PDW to 0.055 LMG) and therefor is a bit more powerful at close range. Because of the low magazine size, it would be less effective at killing Onos than other weapons. It would be more effective at ranges where the full-auto spread could hit low-hp Skulks because of the high fire rate. It would also empty its 36-round magazine in ~1.6 seconds.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    LMG fires at a rate of about 0.055, 18 bullets/second, or 2.8s/mag