Balance

2»

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040317:date=Dec 5 2012, 06:03 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Dec 5 2012, 06:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure -- my gut feeling is that it's pretty balanced right now. The "hitreg" (I use quotation marks because I don't know that it necessarily has anything to do with hitreg) problems have made a huge impact. It basically means one or two good marines can't lock down areas in the early game anymore. We have been able to adjust to it, though, more or less. I can't remember losing any marine rounds in practice, except for a baserush a few weeks back, but I do remember losing a couple of alien rounds, so I guess it might still slightly favor marines at higher levels.

Although the disconnect between public play and higher level comp play is significant, top level play isn't really pushing the envelope yet. At lower levels of comp play, the disconnect with public play is much smaller. They generally make many of the same mistakes public commanders do and player skill is not that much higher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would onos nerfs hurt the current competitive metagame much? Likewise, would fade buffs help it? I think both could take place while still shifting the win ratio towards marines more in the public scene.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>ZIsef:</b></u>

Comebacks will happen a lot more on marines if you get in with some of the better commanders

When you +3/+X you can blaze down hives very fast
    I've seen games where the commander beaconed and everyone shot down a hive only to get beaconed immediately to go run and shoot down another

I will agree though that the organization doesn't need to be nearly that good on aliens with stuff like camo + adrenaline + bilebomb
    One gorge well placed in a ceiling just out of obs radius can level a power node and just ask for backup while it's in progress

Marines need a commander to rally usually or someone on foot who's watching the map enough to call tactics <i>(even rarer)</i>

I'd be happy to listen to suggestions though
    Marines have lost a lot of stuff over patches for balance reasons already. . . nano-construct and portable batteries were obscene for a while
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited December 2012
    i think a lot of this thread is chaff.

bottom line is that 99% of pub marines can't aim for s***. if you can't aim, you can't beat skulk in a 1v1... if you can't beat a skulk in a 1v1 then wtf chance do you have in a 1v1 against a lerk, fade or onos.

get decent fps and learn to aim, then we can accurately judge balance issues. maybe if it wasn't so effortless to connect with your bite attacks then it would help balance a little, not sure myself because apparently i don't find it very troublesome to aim compared to 99% of pubbers.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2039623:date=Dec 4 2012, 03:56 AM:name=ZIsef)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZIsef @ Dec 4 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play in a more talented server...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I read to here then gave up on this thread.

<!--quoteo(post=2041819:date=Dec 8 2012, 01:23 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Dec 8 2012, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think a lot of this thread is chaff.

bottom line is that 99% of pub marines can't aim for s***. if you can't aim, you can't beat skulk in a 1v1... if you can't beat a skulk in a 1v1 then wtf chance do you have in a 1v1 against a lerk, fade or onos.

get decent fps and learn to aim, then we can accurately judge balance issues. maybe if it wasn't so effortless to connect with your bite attacks then it would help balance a little, not sure myself because apparently i don't find it very troublesome to aim compared to 99% of pubbers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whilst writing my sarcastic post I noticed that this lovely person essentially says what I cannot be bothered to write out.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2041774:date=Dec 8 2012, 01:02 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 8 2012, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would onos nerfs hurt the current competitive metagame much? Likewise, would fade buffs help it? I think both could take place while still shifting the win ratio towards marines more in the public scene.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Onos nerf wouldn't make any difference. Fade buff would be significant.