PC Gamer reviewed NS2

2»

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't thing publishers pay for review directly, they have more "subtle" ways to provide material advantage to those who write reviews that suits their commercial plans; most of these review sites live from advertisement and thus are directly dependent on publishers for their survival. They are also dependent on publishers to get invited to previews and get exclusivities, and these are crucial for your viewer based revenues and google indexing. These "journalists" get also invited in nice hotels to plays games, and receive various gifts.

This system if rotten to the bone, and is not specific to video games. If you want decent journalism you need to pay for it, or look for amateur work.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040950:date=Dec 6 2012, 08:12 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 6 2012, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone how the reviews work?

Does a big publisher pay big reviewing sites? Does a company that doesnt pay much for a review only get a lazy one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Generally, review sites compete with each other for readers. So in order to attract as much readers as possible at all times they will extensively review games that are already well known. Thus, publishers who spend alot of money on advertising indirectly "pay" to get reviewed, because the more people know about the game, the more it will get reviewed.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    At least the metacritic score is now at 81, a score UWE deserves for their hard work. Excited to see what's coming next.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Temphage:</b></u>

Your version is just painful!

Is it really that bad?
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems like a fair review to me.

To me, game plays great, been playing since alpha though so may be bias. heehee.
  • DaeicaDaeica Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2040950:date=Dec 6 2012, 01:12 PM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 6 2012, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone how the reviews work?

Does a big publisher pay big reviewing sites? Does a company that doesnt pay much for a review only get a lazy one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some publishers like Eidos are notoriously known for trying to cheat themselves with bribes, threats and I don't know what else to get good reviews.

Others throw giant elaborate "review parties" inviting reviewers to private locations with free bars, meals, hotels and generally try to influence the first-experience of the reviewer as much as possible.

Then there are "game journalists" who owns a blog or what have you and throws every rule in the ethics book out, to get sponsors, free games/gear and what have you.

There are very few credible journalists left, sadly.

So yeah, ###### PR people.

Giantbomb is about the only site left that hasn't sold out :/
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--quoteo(post=2040701:date=Dec 6 2012, 03:06 AM:name=Brainmaggot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brainmaggot @ Dec 6 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please, just leave these forums Temphage.
    I won't speak for everyone else but I'll have my say.

Your negative outlook on everything regarding this game is awful and no one likes being around it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go to your control panel -> Manage Ignored User -> Add his user name

And you will feel instantly much better :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2041050:date=Dec 6 2012, 11:18 AM:name=Draconis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draconis @ Dec 6 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Go to your control panel -> Manage Ignored User -> Add his user name

And you will feel instantly much better :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awesome, thanks for that! :)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Daeica ... well I doubt UWE has done anything even remotely close to that soo ...
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    edited December 2012
    Tardcat gives meaning to life.

Also, it is a bit thin of a review. 90 DOES seem a bit high to me considering performance issues and such.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Review was terrible. If I had not played the game, I would be utterly confused and probably closed browser before seeing score because of not understanding these Onoses and Lerkses and commanding, commanding what? The players? How? Symbiosis? What?!?

Score was correct.

Please give me an FPS with equally interesting elements.

... *chirp* *chirp* ... ...

90 sounds high, yes, but when you think about all the other games... There's just no competition. THERE ARE NO OTHER "SMART" FPS GAMES!
  • zip_devzip_dev Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168186Members
    Agreed that there aren't many 'smart' games coming out. Some people are still considering Borderlands 2 a GotY. To that, I ask "why?"

Borderlands 1 was alright, pretty decent with a few friends. The last thing I wanted was more of the same, though. They made new maps, added robots and changed the itemization a bit. Big deal. Still the same boring and tired game/engine.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Wow, why are people ###### about this review? Oh right, because it's the internet, and it must be filled with stupid ######.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041257:date=Dec 7 2012, 01:04 AM:name=Mavick)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavick @ Dec 7 2012, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041257"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, why are people ###### about this review? Oh right, because it's the internet, and it must be filled with stupid ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you cared to read Temphage's original post in the thread, you would understand "why people are ###### about this review". He has a legitimate opinion, would you care to debate with him or call us all stupid? Which course of action is more stupid?
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I don't have to debate anyone. It was a nice review of someone who's job was to review the game, which he did, and gave it a good score. If you don't like his writing style or the fact he was clearly playing the game to get enough of a grasp to write a review about it, whatever. Not everyone has played the first game or the countless years in beta to understand it as much as everyone else. It's almost like if someone doesn't write a certifiable nytimes bestseller about the game full of insight you people won't be happy.

Get the ###### over it and stfu.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    temphage i think you would be happier in life if you unplugged your internet and stayed away from it for about 20 years.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    It's true that the review wasn't very well-written or interesting, but it wouldn't surprise me if the score got higher because of the GameSpot/Metacritic debacle. Nice gesture of PC Gamer if that's the case, since the Metacritic score have now moved above 80 % (which NS2 is indeed worthy of).
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2040719:date=Dec 6 2012, 04:09 AM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Dec 6 2012, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He didn't even mention the 6 minute Onos, he clearly doesn't know anything about the game he just reviewed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What 6 minute onos?
    That's not possible anymore.