Why doesn't it cost team resources to spawn players?

BronyBrony Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173165Members
Its hard to say what the ramifications of putting a team res price on spawning marines and aliens would be, but I think it makes sense. In any RTS game all units cost resources to produce. This means that whenever you kill an enemy unit you know you have affected their economy.

In NS2 killing enemies does not affect the opponents economy, it only stalls them a bit. When you hit a base, killing off enemy players feels like a waste of time. You only need to kill them to defend yourself not to move the other team closer to losing.

This would also help with games dragging out in the end with a marine team turtling with one resource node. They would soon become resource starved and not be able to spawn marines fast enough.

Obviously other numbers may need to be tweaked to balance such a thing. Just wanna toss it out there for discussion.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    You're talking about late game what about the start of the game when res is scarce
  • BronyBrony Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173165Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040907:date=Dec 6 2012, 11:38 AM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Dec 6 2012, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're talking about late game what about the start of the game when res is scarce<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that's what I meant with "Obviously other numbers may need to be tweaked to balance such a thing".

Resource gather rate would have to be increased. But I still like the idea, even early game, that if your team wins many 1vs1 you will get a slight economical advantage. Just hit me though that in the end this is very close to "res for kills".... which have been discussed quite a bit :s
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    dead players cannot defend resources
    dead players cannot hurt the enemy economy
    it's working fine
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    There are already costs to spawning. Aliens need to spawn Shift eggs if they die too often in order to not get egg-locked. Marines have to build more Infantry Portals to not get stuck in respawn queue if they die a lot.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is kind of an indirect idea of res for kill, which I like more. But reslocking Aliens would be a far more common thing than it is now. And it gives Aliens a way to hard time to recover from an attack. Besides egglocking you now can directly reslock Aliens if you missed to destroy some eggs. Maybe respawning should be a pres cost so your lack of skill wouldn't affect the whole teams advancement. How would it scale with the Marines? Would be a beacon with more players become more viable and cost effective than paying individually for each respawn?
    A lot of things had to be reconsidered.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    mmmmmm res for kill nom nom :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've always like the ticket-system used in the BF-series and Empiresmod. I think it would work well in NS2 and accomplish much of the same as making spawning cost resources.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Brony:</b></u>

It already costs res to create a higher spawn rate

Aliens basically hemorrhage resources if they want it, but shifts still are winning a lot of games when used right

Having a reoccurring cost for marines would stagnate gameplay
    Beacon spawning everyone was already removed

What you're asking for won't fit into the games model at all at this point
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Dying already costs pres.
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2040991:date=Dec 6 2012, 02:43 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Dec 6 2012, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2040991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dying already costs pres.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1. Killing enemies hurts their pres economy indeed.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Surely it costs enough res to lose your 50pres fade, or 30 pres GL and Jetpack or am I missing the point?

Pres per kill would be awful idea, the idea is to play as a team not reward rambo like sprees. <3 x
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    Plus players lose their pres investment in lifeforms and weapons ontop of the pause in pres acquisition while you're out of the game. The reduced weapon "stay" on death is so short i rarely get to retreive my weapon unless it dropped into the room next to where i spawn. It's actually kinda annoying.

Plus as previously mentioned, there are a lot of deaths in the early game when there are fewer higher life forms going back and forth with higher armour values keeping them alive longer. If 1 player cost 1 tres and a team of 6 lost say 4 players you can pretty much prevent that team from ever getting any harvesters or extractors up.

Dying already has it's punishments, some more direct than others. This is an FPS/RTS hybrid, there's no need to use every RTS element in the game.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Aliens already have random pres penalty for death.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    oh yes please give more incentive to new players to not do whats best for the team because they could die...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Individual players costing TRes in any form is a mechanic that does not scale with player size, which goes against the whole design of the system. Players already lose PRes for dying.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Costing 1 PRes to respawn would probably scale better than halting PRes while in queue, wouldn't it? It wouldn't punish a player when the whole team is egg-locked on high player servers. It would also put a shorter timer on res-lock situations.
  • Vile | FriskyVile | Frisky Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166873Members
    It does cost PRes to spawn, just not in the literal sense. If your teammates earned 2 PRes while you were dead it essentially cost you 2 PRes to re-spawn. Quite frankly I think the spawn mechanics are very balanced (except during Team Auto Balance...).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2041026:date=Dec 6 2012, 07:17 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Dec 6 2012, 07:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens already have random pres penalty for death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, but its not much of a drain on the RTS-side of the game (i.e. there is no TRes cost between a marine respawning once and respawning a thousand times). NS2's spawn system would be akin to a barracks in SC1/2 pushing out a marine every 10s until you hit your unit cap.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    In a game like starcraft, if you have more money, you have more units on the field. If you apply that to NS2, what are the other 8 players supposed to do while the 2 you have enough res to spawn are playing the game?

You can't just field more players because you have more money in NS2, if you only have 6 players on your team, that means you get 5 in the field, no matter how much you save in the bank.

Because player numbers are fixed, you lose quite a bit of time and map control losing a player in the field. There is a cost to being careless with your life in the game. We don't really need more mechanics in place just to copy other games.
    <!--quoteo(post=2041211:date=Dec 6 2012, 02:14 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 6 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In a game like starcraft, if you have more money, you have more units on the field. If you apply that to NS2, what are the other 8 players supposed to do while the 2 you have enough res to spawn are playing the game?

You can't just field more players because you have more money in NS2, if you only have 6 players on your team, that means you get 5 in the field, no matter how much you save in the bank.

Because player numbers are fixed, you lose quite a bit of time and map control losing a player in the field. There is a cost to being careless with your life in the game. We don't really need more mechanics in place just to copy other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's why I favor a ticket-system over a spawning cost's TRes-system. Its brings over the RTS-concept of spawning units costs resources while having a minimal impact on the FPS part of the game.

Also, the benefit of 'spawning-costing-res' system is that it adds strategic depth (e.g. ticket-management) while reducing the number of turtling stalemates (i.e. one team is likely to run out of tickets first, making so they can't spawn and quickly lose). I had some very fun games in Empiresmod where a comm would employ a strategy of getting the enemy to waste their tickets, then making a late-game push to win.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I know they're popular, but I've never liked a ticket system game. It feels so dissatisfying making your opponents ticker tick down "Yay! you won because your number was a better one than the other guys!",

I really love games where you choking them off, squeezing the life out of them, and then crushing their last line of defense. That's one of the things I adore in traditional RTS games (although I don't really mind players GGing out of the game either, I guess that's a bit weird)
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    why people all over this game enjoys punishing people rather than rewarding people? they are against RFK but then the punishment is exactly the same thing just in another direction, the relativity is the same.