New Marine here

ValheruValheru Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63387Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How can I improve?</div>Hey all, played NS1 a long while back, and haven't really touched an FPS since. I've been enjoying NS2 a lot, and I'm still kind of learning the ropes as far as how things work, but I think I have a pretty good hang of it. I've decided to stick with just going Marines for now until I'm pretty solid, and I'm looking for any helpful tips some more experienced players can give.

A few questions/experiences come to mind:

1) Rifle vs Skulk, 1v1, what's the best way to kill the damn thing if it ambushes you? Is jumping around recommended? Or do you just try to stay calm? I decided to go against my instincts and just burst fire, even if the Skulk is right on top of me and that seems to help a bit. Should I be jumping off the walls? Crouching? Moving backwards? Standing still?

2) Is it ever recommended to move somewhere alone? If so, in what situations? If I'm in a room alone with an empty RT, should I ask the Comm to drop an RT, or wait for one more marine to cover while building?

3) Do flashlights blind Aliens as much as they blind me/my teammates? They seem pretty... bad right now.

4) If I'm walking over Cysts/Infestation, do the aliens/Khamm have vision of me?

5) Should I be attacking random Cysts along my route? I feel pretty vulnerable hacking away at stuff directly below me with an Axe... lol. On a similar note, as a Rifle, should I be wasting my ammo on structures? Again, Axes leave me feeling extremely vulnerable, but emptying an entire ammo clip and then having Aliens attack on the reload seems even worse.

6) There is a HUGELY noticeable difference between a good Skulk and an average one in the way they zip around while attacking. How in the FLYING F do I hit these things? The good ones are hard to hit even from a distance while they are attacking a teammate! I always feel like I've failed my teammates when I can't kill a Skulk in time. The really good ones will then turn around and kill me too... o_o

7) What's a standard starting build order for a Commander, in-case I'm ever forced to Comm at the start? Nothing too detailed, that's a whole other monster for a later date. Just to get us off the ground.

I'm pretty sure I had more questions, but that's all I can remember for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2012
    1) Most encounters I tend to dodge by circle strafing, and start jumping then they're within biting range. It works pretty well most of the time. When ambushed I skip the first part and go straight to jumping around while emptying my magazine. No point in burst firing or fancy manoeuvring when they're already in your face imo. :)

2) If your team is too focused on one part of the map. It might be wise to scout some distant resource nozzles/tech points and take some out. For building RTs on your own, it depends on the situation. Is there alot of action in that area? How far away are you from the rest of the team? I do recommend building the power first. If you get ambushed while building the comm won't lose 10 res.

3) Not really.

4) No, but drifters can spot you.

5) Certainly not. Attacking random cysts will notify the khammander of your position. It's better to keep moving and only attack significant structures. And don't waste ammo on structures unless you have no choice or an armory is right by. An axe will take out structures faster anyway. Being vulnerable is part of the deal.

6) Practice makes perfect. I'm no pro myself.

7) For me, armory and obs first. Then the two nearest RTs. Optionally a second IP, when you're in a big server. You can mix things up from there. Just don't build a robotics factory early game, unless you're trying an arc rush.

Hope it helps.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 06:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey all, played NS1 a long while back, and haven't really touched an FPS since. I've been enjoying NS2 a lot, and I'm still kind of learning the ropes as far as how things work, but I think I have a pretty good hang of it. I've decided to stick with just going Marines for now until I'm pretty solid, and I'm looking for any helpful tips some more experienced players can give.

1) Rifle vs Skulk, 1v1, what's the best way to kill the damn thing if it ambushes you? Is jumping around recommended? Or do you just try to stay calm? I decided to go against my instincts and just burst fire, even if the Skulk is right on top of me and that seems to help a bit. Should I be jumping off the walls? Crouching? Moving backwards? Standing still?

2) Is it ever recommended to move somewhere alone? If so, in what situations? If I'm in a room alone with an empty RT, should I ask the Comm to drop an RT, or wait for one more marine to cover while building?

3) Do flashlights blind Aliens as much as they blind me/my teammates? They seem pretty... bad right now.

4) If I'm walking over Cysts/Infestation, do the aliens/Khamm have vision of me?

5) Should I be attacking random Cysts along my route? I feel pretty vulnerable hacking away at stuff directly below me with an Axe... lol. On a similar note, as a Rifle, should I be wasting my ammo on structures? Again, Axes leave me feeling extremely vulnerable, but emptying an entire ammo clip and then having Aliens attack on the reload seems even worse.

6) There is a HUGELY noticeable difference between a good Skulk and an average one in the way they zip around while attacking. How in the FLYING F do I hit these things? The good ones are hard to hit even from a distance while they are attacking a teammate! I always feel like I've failed my teammates when I can't kill a Skulk in time. The really good ones will then turn around and kill me too... o_o

7) What's a standard starting build order for a Commander, in-case I'm ever forced to Comm at the start? Nothing too detailed, that's a whole other monster for a later date. Just to get us off the ground.

I'm pretty sure I had more questions, but that's all I can remember for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1: Jump in a direction but make sure you look at it and then turn around to shoot at the skulk. Wait about half a second after you land and repeat.
    2: You could move alone to try and attack harvesters, but it's still much better to be in a group.
    3: They don't blind aliens, turn them off
    4: No, just don't shoot them
    5: Shoot unless it's really early in the game. It's better to just shoot harvesters rather than bother with cysts though.
    6: Don't waste all your ammo immediately, tap it if you need to; skulks only require 10 bullets
    7: General starting order is Armory > 2 Adjacent Resource Towers > Observatory > Phase Gate Research. From there it depends on the game, but after you get phase gate up and some RTs you should do Weapons Lab > Armor 1 > Weapons 1 > Weapons 2 > Weapons 3
  • ValheruValheru Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63387Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044385:date=Dec 12 2012, 09:22 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Dec 12 2012, 09:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4) No, but drifters can spot you.

5) Certainly not. Attacking random cysts will notify the khammander of your position. It's better to keep moving and only attack significant structures. And don't waste ammo on structures unless you have no choice or an armory is right by. An axe will take out structures faster anyway. Being vulnerable is part of the deal.

6) Practice makes perfect. I'm no pro myself.

7) For me, armory and obs first. Then the two nearest RTs. Optionally a second IP, when you're in a big server. You can mix things up from there. Just don't build a robotics factory early game, unless you're trying an arc rush.

Hope it helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, didn't know about Drifters until I looked them up just now... Solid advice!

<!--quoteo(post=2044387:date=Dec 12 2012, 09:26 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 12 2012, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1: Jump in a direction but make sure you look at it and then turn around to shoot at the skulk. Wait about half a second after you land and repeat.
    2: You could move alone to try and attack harvesters, but it's still much better to be in a group.
    3: They don't blind aliens, turn them off
    4: No, just don't shoot them
    5: Shoot unless it's really early in the game. It's better to just shoot harvesters rather than bother with cysts though.
    6: Don't waste all your ammo immediately, tap it if you need to; skulks only require 10 bullets
    7: General starting order is Armory > 2 Adjacent Resource Towers > Observatory > Phase Gate Research. From there it depends on the game, but after you get phase gate up and some RTs you should do Weapons Lab > Armor 1 > Weapons 1 > Weapons 2 > Weapons 3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks! I will definitely give your jump/turn a try! This is the area that I need the most improvement in IMO, my aim just sucks horribly (sometimes).
    <!--quoteo(post=2044402:date=Dec 12 2012, 07:51 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 07:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, didn't know about Drifters until I looked them up just now... Solid advice!

Thanks! I will definitely give your jump/turn a try! This is the area that I need the most improvement in IMO, my aim just sucks horribly (sometimes).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's important you are facing the direction you jump or else you get a large decrease in distance traveled. You aim will get better, don't be afraid to switch to pistol. Don't shoot unless you think you're going to get a shot, though. Pistol aiming is slightly more difficult IMO.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044403:date=Dec 12 2012, 09:52 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 12 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's important you are facing the direction you jump or else you get a large decrease in distance traveled. You aim will get better, don't be afraid to switch to pistol. Don't shoot unless you think you're going to get a shot, though. Pistol aiming is slightly more difficult IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Got it. So just facing the direction does the trick, does having momentum help, or can I do it from standstill? Ha, I guess I could just test this out right now, sorry for the silly questions :P

The pistol is my freaking savior! Such a great weapon. I find that taking a second to aim before firing has drastically improved my accuracy with it, even at close range.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044405:date=Dec 12 2012, 07:55 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Got it. So just facing the direction does the trick, does having momentum help, or can I do it from standstill? Ha, I guess I could just test this out right now, sorry for the silly questions :P

The pistol is my freaking savior! Such a great weapon. I find that taking a second to aim before firing has drastically improved my accuracy with it, even at close range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Momentum doesn't matter, but if for some reason you had your knife out you would go slightly farther. I don't recommend it though, it's a just if you have your knife randomly out (switch-axe, but I call it knife).

You should use your pistol for trying to hit far off aliens, it's basically a sniper rifle. Really good for lerks in my opinion.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044408:date=Dec 12 2012, 09:56 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Dec 12 2012, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Momentum doesn't matter, but if for some reason you had your knife out you would go slightly farther. I don't recommend it though, it's a just if you have your knife randomly out (switch-axe, but I call it knife).

You should use your pistol for trying to hit far off aliens, it's basically a sniper rifle. Really good for lerks in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool. I have yet to really try the pistol vs Lerk, but it has been giving me a lot of problems. Will try :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Phasing to New Player Forum.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey all, played NS1 a long while back, and haven't really touched an FPS since. I've been enjoying NS2 a lot, and I'm still kind of learning the ropes as far as how things work, but I think I have a pretty good hang of it. I've decided to stick with just going Marines for now until I'm pretty solid, and I'm looking for any helpful tips some more experienced players can give.

1) Rifle vs Skulk, 1v1, what's the best way to kill the damn thing if it ambushes you? Is jumping around recommended? Or do you just try to stay calm? I decided to go against my instincts and just burst fire, even if the Skulk is right on top of me and that seems to help a bit. Should I be jumping off the walls? Crouching? Moving backwards? Standing still?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are alot of tiny tricks but the biggest thing is aim THEN shoot. If you aren't hitting don't keep firing or you'll be reloading right when the skulk wants you to.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Is it ever recommended to move somewhere alone? If so, in what situations? If I'm in a room alone with an empty RT, should I ask the Comm to drop an RT, or wait for one more marine to cover while building?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, absolutely. If you see a big alien push on one side of the map a lone marine can easily make it to the alien upgrade chambers (in the hive ususally, duh) or one of their RT's. If you're in a room alone with an RT I always try to build it unless I suspect an ambush. Unless your team is communicating well waiting for that other marine might never happen. Sometimes it's worth it to skip the RT and move farther in for a phase gate / enemy base raid. A little trick is to drop your rifle and/or pistol. With less equipped you will run MUCH faster but be defenseless. In very specific circumstances this can mean a sneaky phase or downed enemy buildings, in all others it means you wasted your spawn.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) Do flashlights blind Aliens as much as they blind me/my teammates? They seem pretty... bad right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all. Alien vision doesn't show lighting so flashlights don't effect them at all. I personally ALWAYS have alien vision on.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4) If I'm walking over Cysts/Infestation, do the aliens/Khamm have vision of me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not anymore unless you attack, so use that sprint button and start hitting valuable targets QUICK! You'd be surprised at how often you can get an RT or even 2 upgrades down because the aliens aren't on the ball.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5) Should I be attacking random Cysts along my route? I feel pretty vulnerable hacking away at stuff directly below me with an Axe... lol. On a similar note, as a Rifle, should I be wasting my ammo on structures? Again, Axes leave me feeling extremely vulnerable, but emptying an entire ammo clip and then having Aliens attack on the reload seems even worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The cysts only if you know they just dropped because 3 pistol bullets will kill it. Otherwise only hit occasional node deeper in to make the Khamms life more difficult. I axe structures but if they are protected by a whip I'll shoot and ask for ammo. Again, it's about time. The faster and harder you start hitting the target the less likely a skulk is gonna come ruin your fun.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->6) There is a HUGELY noticeable difference between a good Skulk and an average one in the way they zip around while attacking. How in the FLYING F do I hit these things? The good ones are hard to hit even from a distance while they are attacking a teammate! I always feel like I've failed my teammates when I can't kill a Skulk in time. The really good ones will then turn around and kill me too... o_o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very Carefully. Again, Aim then shoot. Try to position yourself in a way where the skulk can't take advantage of cover/walls. Especially walls since good skulks will be climbing them and jumping off for a speed boost.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->7) What's a standard starting build order for a Commander, in-case I'm ever forced to Comm at the start? Nothing too detailed, that's a whole other monster for a later date. Just to get us off the ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    RT's - armory - obs - phasetech & gates - armslab and upgrades. The value of upgrades cannot be understated. Every free marine who spawns will be harder to kill and will also kill easier. Phasetech is similar...the ability to get those upgraded soldiers from the spawn back to the front line with minimal downtime wins games. Don't forget an extra IP if people are dying much.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure I had more questions, but that's all I can remember for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) Do flashlights blind Aliens as much as they blind me/my teammates? They seem pretty... bad right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you turn off atmospherics, flashlights won't blind you.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4) If I'm walking over Cysts/Infestation, do the aliens/Khamm have vision of me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You won't show up on the minimap, but if the alien commander is looking he might see you as a dark cloud. It's best to assume you'll be spotted soon.

<!--quoteo(post=2044366:date=Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Valheru)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valheru @ Dec 12 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5) Should I be attacking random Cysts along my route? I feel pretty vulnerable hacking away at stuff directly below me with an Axe... lol. On a similar note, as a Rifle, should I be wasting my ammo on structures? Again, Axes leave me feeling extremely vulnerable, but emptying an entire ammo clip and then having Aliens attack on the reload seems even worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you have a flamethrower and a jetpack, absolutely, it takes like a half second of flame to kill the cyst (with the DOT). Otherwise, no. Note that mature cysts can blind you for a moment if you're too close to them and the alien commander is paying attention (Rupture).
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Rifle vs Skulk, 1v1, what's the best way to kill the damn thing if it ambushes you? Is jumping around recommended? Or do you just try to stay calm? I decided to go against my instincts and just burst fire, even if the Skulk is right on top of me and that seems to help a bit. Should I be jumping off the walls? Crouching? Moving backwards? Standing still?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The best way to fight skulk 1v1 is by treating them like a bull and you're a matador. Always be tracing the skulk and trying to mimic it's movement... makes it easier to trace. Obviously always try to fight on your terms if you expect an ambush or hear a skulk moving in your direction run to an open place or to the end of a long hallway. TURN UP YOUR VOLUME!! You can hear skulks moving from practically across the map. If ambushed the best way is the use the [s and d] or [s and a] keys while jumping. Using only [s] is a quick way to die because you don't move nearly as fast as while both strafing and going backwards. Stay as calm as possible even while being ambushed... if its 1v1 and you're calm and connecting shots you'll when against average skulks... now if you're ambushed by a pack or a really good skulk player, the best option is to bend over and kiss your butt goodbye, unless you're an amazing shot! Last bit of advise when moving as a marine... always check the spots you'd be if you were a skulk... mostly above doorways!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Is it ever recommended to move somewhere alone? If so, in what situations? If I'm in a room alone with an empty RT, should I ask the Comm to drop an RT, or wait for one more marine to cover while building?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Moving out by yourself is never recommended; however, it is necessary in some situations. If say you spawn and a close rt is being hit or just went down you can go by yourself... always try to keep tabs on where the alien players are... if they're all on one side of the map being held up by your other teammates it can be a good idea to go to the "weak" side rebuild rts... or pressure enemy rts. Again if in pubs try to not venture by yourself though... one extra partner will make the world of difference in any encounter you find.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) Do flashlights blind Aliens as much as they blind me/my teammates? They seem pretty... bad right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think someone has already said this, but I'll repeat it. Any good alien is using alien vision and as such your flashlights are not doing a thing. If it is truly bugging you and causing problems, or you really don't care about how "pretty" the fog looks in your flashlight you can always turn atmospheric off in your settings. I personally do it, because for one it helps with the flashlight and other atmospheric problems and for another i want the most fps i can get so turning it off helps.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4) If I'm walking over Cysts/Infestation, do the aliens/Khamm have vision of me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The alien comm can not necessarily see you but he/she can hear you. Any marine structure, medpack, ammopack, or marine will show up as black smoke every once an a while if the alien comm is looking for it. The comm will most like not notice it unless you put a bullet into on of his/her structures, even cyst.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5) Should I be attacking random Cysts along my route? I feel pretty vulnerable hacking away at stuff directly below me with an Axe... lol. On a similar note, as a Rifle, should I be wasting my ammo on structures? Again, Axes leave me feeling extremely vulnerable, but emptying an entire ammo clip and then having Aliens attack on the reload seems even worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Random cyst... no, don't bother unless you need to clear them to build a structure or if you can cut off a valuable cyst chain early game... Take Veil for example if the aliens spawn in cargo or sub they're most likely pushing for nano... now if you've got a good team and can make it to ether system waypoint (for sub spawn) or y-junction (for cargo spawn) kill those cyst!! If you can hold this position for a long time this will effectively cut off the alien comm from their most valuable res nodes. Not to mention that if you hold it anything that he built there will die a slow death without you being to be in two places at the same time. As far as wether to use axe or rifle, its very situational... if your comm is not being friendly with the ammo drops or you're 90% sure you're safe use your axe otherwise call for ammo and get to work. It's always better to see aliens coming and not be cornered than to be caught reloading, because if caught reloading you should have enough distance to reload and still get the kill.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->6) There is a HUGELY noticeable difference between a good Skulk and an average one in the way they zip around while attacking. How in the FLYING F do I hit these things? The good ones are hard to hit even from a distance while they are attacking a teammate! I always feel like I've failed my teammates when I can't kill a Skulk in time. The really good ones will then turn around and kill me too... o_o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

practice, practice, practice... like the difference between a good skulk and an average one, there's a big difference between a good marine and an average one... it all comes down to tracing (with a rifle) or a good twitch shot (with a shotgun). Learning how to be a better shot is just the fun of the learning curve... a great skulk should win 1v1's against an average marine... just logic.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->7) What's a standard starting build order for a Commander, in-case I'm ever forced to Comm at the start? Nothing too detailed, that's a whole other monster for a later date. Just to get us off the ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For marine comm it's pretty standard start... at start, drop armory, drop res nodes closest to base, drop obs, research phase and mines. Mines are sorely under used in pubs... 3 mines set up around a phase gate will help tremendusly. Then upgrades... typically a1 -> w1 -> w2..., unless you're team is winning a lot of engagements, then w1 -> a1 -> w2... The best advice I could give as marine comm is be as aggressive as possible early games... the more you harrass the aliens and take out there res the better... If an alien team has been sitting on 3 res nodes for a long time and you haven't taken any of them down, you've pretty much loss, cause the onos is coming soon (p-res). Attack, attack, attack... pressure hives, kill upgrades, and kill harvestors. Place phases close to their bases, at central locations, and close to the aliens next logical expansion. If all else fails arc train! :)

I hope this helps... I know it's extremely long and i'm sorry, but i've learned a lot and wanted to help! Thanks for reading and now i'm going to ice my hands. :)
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Abysmalnight?feature=mhee" target="_blank">Here are some videos I found useful.</a>