How I see Refinery Balanced

2»

Comments

• SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046407:date=Dec 15 2012, 06:17 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Dec 15 2012, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Veil is an official map. It is also one of 3 maps competitive players will play seriously. docking, refinery and mineshaft all have problems. I would rank them in that order of playability.

I think 4 tech points is a lot more interesting then 5 personally. If aliens get 3 hives on any map, they are generally beating the pants of the marines any way, so why do we need a stalemate inducing extra tech point?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I'd tend to agree with you, although there are other issues on Veil such as Marines having far too easy of a time getting into vents that should be inaccessible to a lone Rambo. I'd rather see vents and doors become weldable and breakable than have the vents easily entered by soloists. Veils small size definitely lends itself to shorter games, which can be a good thing with some matches stretching out to hours on Mineshaft on a rare occasion.

And I'd agree that Docking, Mineshaft, and Refinery all have their balance issues. (Although I would order them differently than you, just a minor difference really.)

I do know that they're working on Refinery right now, which is probably the most one-sided map with Marines very rarely winning without rapid map gains in Smelting and Turbine.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I actually enjoy Docking a lot for the amount of comebacks and backdooring it can provide. Had two awesome matches on it today as marine commander.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Actually there is a trick Marines can do to counter Aliens. plant one Marine with commander supporting him on the 3rd level of Lava falls (its dark and not visited often by aliens so as long as the com drops ammo regularly a marine up there can deny the expansion to the lava falls rt points and a small force to Chasm can slow the expansion that way to turbine. the genral idea from their is the rest of the marines secure Smelting and / or work on Pipeworks.

it not idea but it can work.

The easiest thing is once the ability to weld doors is in have the hive door to falls welded shut or set it so aliens have to have infestation on the door for it to be able to open. that way while closer they have a delay to get to falls themselves meaning Marines can have got in there first.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    I think the best way to balance refinery would be to remove the path directly from the alien hive to lava falls... that would pretty much equalize the distance from marine start to double, and alien start to double.
    Yeah, Chasm is still close enough for aliens to get there. Maybe still have a vent that leads from Containment to Lava Falls so that aliens can still harass marines there without being locked down in the Chasm hallway.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having watched every map change over the beta I have no doubt this will be fixed at some point. However if reins play agressive they can win Refinary, Ive seen it. :) <3 x
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, almost pulled that agressive win as marines off on Refinery yesterday. We had Pipeworks, we held Lava Falls and had a phase gate right in front of Containment that kept pressure on them. We had two guys with GLs and Jetpacks and a forward base in Transit and a train of ARCs bombing the hell out of the Gorge fortress + Shift and Hive in Smelting.

And then the enemy team went Quad-Onos on the power node of our main base and it was "gg". Extremely frustrating to lose because of such a cheap tactic after having put so much effort into gaining foot against all odds of the map. -.-
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046242:date=Dec 15 2012, 05:29 PM:name=flyjum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flyjum @ Dec 15 2012, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adding more entrance might help that as well<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's already 4 ways into Nano does there really need to be more for aliens ?