Editor update: Bug fixes and performance

SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey folks,
With the latest Steam update, hopefully a lot of the deletion/crashes/bugs are fixed now. And vertex welding should be PERFECT AND STABLE... let's hope ;P And everything else should feel a bit faster. There's still a good amount of performance I want to fix as well.

Cheers, and happy holidays.
--Steve

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the fixes and improvements, Steve. You're adding plenty of merriment to the mapping forum this holiday season. \o/
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    NO MORE CRASHES. lol. I was wondering if we could see a list of features you are looking to add? christmas gift for us maybe:).
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2048143:date=Dec 19 2012, 10:57 AM:name=jstoia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstoia @ Dec 19 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NO MORE CRASHES. lol. I was wondering if we could see a list of features you are looking to add? christmas gift for us maybe:).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well there's a lot of random things on my list, but a big one is smooth edges (same effect as "smoothing groups"). So you can make curved things, like pillars, and the lighting will look smooth between faces (due to normal interpolation).

Some more performance...it still feels sluggish to do simple things on large maps.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Next patch, you can look forward to:

- Fixed the grid drift issue (vertices not staying on grid-snap over time)
    - Made cinematic preview optional.
    - Smoothing groups/edges
    - Snap Selected Vertices to Grid

No promises, but will try:
    - Align texture to edge
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    My face lit up like a christmas tree when I saw the bottom one! That'd be so awesome!

I think there are some usability points that could be improved but I can't really think of any now ( I'm at work, obviously ;) )

The one thing I can think of is the "edit-window" popping up and going away when using different tools, it's kind of annoying.. Don't know if others have noticed this and found it as annoying as I did?

Thanks Steve and Co. ! best editor 2013 here we come :) Happy holidays, enjoy!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Steve, you sure know how to make mappers happy. :D
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you so very much! :D
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Ahh shame there won't be any patch until new year, it could been the best x-mass ever ;)
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048435:date=Dec 20 2012, 07:43 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 20 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Next patch, you can look forward to:

- Fixed the grid drift issue (vertices not staying on grid-snap over time)
    - Made cinematic preview optional.
    - Smoothing groups/edges
    - Snap Selected Vertices to Grid

- Align texture to edge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good stuff!

Don't forget there's still the minimap bug missing stuff, you can test using my <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106050884" target="_blank">map, </a>it happens every time on the alien side, also while i know it's not needed by many mappers at the moment, a NoGorgeBuild and NonStick group would be really useful, hopefully they're on your list?

Oh yeah i was playing around with the button entity and it didn't seem to work, i set the right channel and a simple on message, same with the sound and cinematic but nothing happens in game when you go to press it?
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2048430:date=Dec 20 2012, 08:29 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 20 2012, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well there's a lot of random things on my list, but a big one is smooth edges (same effect as "smoothing groups"). So you can make curved things, like pillars, and the lighting will look smooth between faces (due to normal interpolation).

Some more performance...it still feels sluggish to do simple things on large maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That seriously is a Christmas gift and a half Steve!! Something I've been looking forward to for years.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It has to be a gratifying position you're in now, Steve, where everything you do pleases everyone it affects. No balance changes in-game where you may piss off a portion of the players who liked how it was before. You only get love from your audience. :D
    lol steve is the man. I Love these changes. still waiting on rotate on grid tho. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2048435:date=Dec 20 2012, 07:43 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 20 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Next patch, you can look forward to:

- Align texture to edge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would make geo supports and crazy geometry so easy to texture... I await this feature the most.
    <!--quoteo(post=2048570:date=Dec 20 2012, 08:41 AM:name=Flaterectomy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flaterectomy @ Dec 20 2012, 08:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has to be a gratifying position you're in now, Steve, where everything you do pleases everyone it affects. No balance changes in-game where you may piss off a portion of the players who liked how it was before. You only get love from your audience. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha yeah I don't envy Charlie's position at all. I don't even know how I would handle all the opposing points of view that he has to deal with.

Thanks for all the positive feedback and constructive criticism :)
  • boobs!boobs! Old-School Competitor Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8504Members
    Extrude multiple faces.
    <!--quoteo(post=2048866:date=Dec 20 2012, 04:39 PM:name=boobs!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (boobs! @ Dec 20 2012, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Extrude multiple faces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm good idea. I'll give it a shot.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048507:date=Dec 20 2012, 02:47 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Dec 20 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] Oh yeah i was playing around with the button entity and it didn't seem to work, i set the right channel and a simple on message, same with the sound and cinematic but nothing happens in game when you go to press it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got it to work. You have to use the button_emitter together with the sound_effect entity. Make sure that the channels are the same and that the 'emit message' and the 'the sound effect will play when this' field have the same "text" or it won't work. After setting this up, ingame should appear a use hint at the location of the button. Use it and the sound_effect sound will play. But I didn't find a way to change the volume of the sound. Maybe you have to try it with a louder one if you don't hear anything.

I rly rly whish we would get real triggers that would allow us to create our own doors or elevators or weld-/breakables etc :P But the button is a nice idea. I added it already to my latest map at some blocked doors. But it is only atmospheric, I need more options to play with my own ideas in the editor ^^
    ABILITY TO MOVE LAYERs already made!!!!! please.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052359:date=Dec 28 2012, 07:15 PM:name=jstoia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstoia @ Dec 28 2012, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ABILITY TO MOVE LAYERs already made!!!!! please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This one's pretty dear to me as well. That and layer folders, or collapsible/expandable layer groups.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for the editor love, Steve!

Something I would love to see is the option to draw with two clicks (click once for starting point, again for final point) instead of click-dragging. Many, many good reasons for this:
    - it's easier to move the mouse accurately when you're not holding down a mouse button
    - it's much easier to use the right and middle mouse buttons while drawing (i.e. to move the viewport while drawing)
    - Google Sketchup uses this set up to also allow the user to enter numbers to specify exact dimensions (e.g. you could type 128" as you drag a line and the line will be exactly that length)
    - Spark could add to that the ability to change snap options while dragging (e.g. snap to axes on/off, snap to vertices on/off, etc.)

The option should also work with the move, scale and rotate functions, and I think would make map creation and editing a LOT easier.

If you haven't checked it out, Steve, I urge you to try out Google Sketchup for an hour or two (there's a video tutorial that's really easy to go through in 30 minutes) just to see some of the interface niceties that they provide. Particularly useful are their snapping tools, where you can align points to each other without drawing guides or using grids at all. I think those snapping tools, along with the option mentioned above, would cut dev time for NS2 maps in two, if not more!

Thanks Steve and keep up the awesomeness!
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    sorry for the bump, but I thought of a function the Spark editor should have.. while trying to sleep.. and not having played/thought of ns2 for 2 months...

Ok , so , I think it'd be a huge help for mappers to have a Clipping plane, which just clips everything in a sphere around the camera after a certain distance. from a list of like 0 , 1024, 2048 etc.

gl hf ;)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    For optimization you should use groups and layers,
    I'd put a higher priority on getting more modeling features such as face inset, edge bridge and target weld.
    Also EXPORTING is really important to my personal workflow, I don't care about the format just as long as i can get stuff in 3d max without having to write loads of dimensions down for references of scale.
    Thanks
    There is a clipping plane if you go to Edit Preferences.