Skulk view

MrEntityMrEntity Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176489Members
I find latching to walls and ceilings very difficult as a skulk. The most aggravating part of the latching process is the fact that half the time you can see the "ground" you're walking on.

I think it would be much much easier if when you latched to a surface your POV shifted to accomodate your new sense of down - i.e. when you walk onto a wall your view shifts 90 degrees and the wall looks like the floor. You know, as it would look if your eyes were where the skulks eyes are.

Comments

• AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    They tried this I think and found it too nausiating. Would be nice as an option cause of what you mention.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    consider this skulks bets way to attack is to jump on walls and run on the ceiling if the POV is here the skulks eyes are players will be so confused and disorientated a little fix is to have the POV switch slow or not at all
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    consider this skulks bets way to attack is to jump on walls and run on the ceiling if the POV is here the skulks eyes are players will be so confused and disorientated a little fix is to have the POV switch slow or not at all and maybe you are not good asa skulk
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    I do think its a shame that couching doesn't sort of forcefully stick you to the wall and stop you falling off from a simple silly movement.
  • Frost SpectreFrost Spectre Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176644Members
    in AVP 2 by Sierra and Monolith, it did work... Tho wallwalk was sticky, and needed to click or hold button to wallwalk.
    AVP2 had Wallwalk- and WallwalkToggle Buttons, also hud arrow that pointed to "gravitational fall" direction. This was improved from the first AVP by Rebellion.

NS2 Skulk wallwalk is abit different, only required good reflexes to react on changing surfaces, is not sticky wallwalk and is always on.

If AVP2 style wallwalk would be implemented, tho it's very unlikely, it would be optional.
  • TalVerdTalVerd Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176706Members
    personally, what I would like would be if the current auto-wall walking stayed in but with the addition of if you hold shift like you are sneaking, that then you would truly stick to the wall and not be able to randomly fall off of it. Also so that you could stealthily fall from it on purpose, they could make it so that hitting space (jump) while holding shift would make you stealthily jump off the wall as it currently does.

basically make it so that holding shift will stick you to the wall/solid surface so you can't fall and keep everything else the way it is
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053166:date=Dec 30 2012, 02:55 AM:name=TalVerd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TalVerd @ Dec 30 2012, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->personally, what I would like would be if the current auto-wall walking stayed in but with the addition of if you hold shift like you are sneaking, that then you would truly stick to the wall and not be able to randomly fall off of it. Also so that you could stealthily fall from it on purpose, they could make it so that hitting space (jump) while holding shift would make you stealthily jump off the wall as it currently does.

basically make it so that holding shift will stick you to the wall/solid surface so you can't fall and keep everything else the way it is<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeh, there is also an unstick button in the form of the left ctrl key which detaches you from the wall so that could still be used to unstick too I'd imagine
  • ZyferZyfer Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176791Members
    edited December 2012
    i agree on this aswell, it would be nice to have it as a toggle atleast, like the marines have the camera animation toggle :)
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052422:date=Dec 29 2012, 06:29 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 29 2012, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do think its a shame that couching doesn't sort of forcefully stick you to the wall and stop you falling off from a simple silly movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hold shift ;)
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    I'd really like to see the option, at least. I can't imagine that would be too hard to implement, especially if they already tried it once. I think I would prefer an AVP style view, where the camera rotates with your body, but you have a little arrow that points towards the floor at all times.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldn't mind a simple keybind to flip the orientation to whatever wall you are facing. I would probably only use it for the ceiling, anyways.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    No options. No toggles. They are design cop outs.

You test the mechanic, you get feedback. Is the feedback negative? Then the feature doesn't make it through. The feedback was negative, so this didn't make it through.

Designing a game isn't about getting a long list of possible features together and then including every single one with an on off switch. Its about determining the best solution and using it.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2053588:date=Dec 30 2012, 11:24 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 30 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No options. No toggles. They are design cop outs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So everything toggleable in the options is a design cop-out, eh?
    <!--quoteo(post=2053784:date=Dec 31 2012, 08:05 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Dec 31 2012, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So everything toggleable in the options is a design cop-out, eh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless design and testing dictates that a toggle is the best option to use.

Using information to make the choice of using a toggle is fine. Using a toggle to avoid making a choice is not.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053838:date=Dec 31 2012, 12:04 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 31 2012, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless design and testing dictates that a toggle is the best option to use.

Using information to make the choice of using a toggle is fine. Using a toggle to avoid making a choice is not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So everything toggleable in the options is a design cop-out, except when it's not a design cop-out?

Come on, now.
    <!--quoteo(post=2053891:date=Jan 1 2013, 12:34 AM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Jan 1 2013, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So everything toggleable in the options is a design cop-out, except when it's not a design cop-out?

Come on, now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you test something out, and nobody wants it, you don't include it as a toggle-able option. Thats a cop out.

When you test something out and it ends up being 50/50, then you have a possible candidate for a toggle-able option.

The problem is, 99% of players don't want rotating skulk views to even be considered for inclusion in NS2. 99% of that 1% that do also won't want it once they've tried it for 10 seconds. UWE already knows this, because UWE has already taken the time to test it. Thus the decision has been made. No Toggle.