Stealing commander seat

JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
is there anyway to give commander ability to tie him self to the chair even if you leave it to help your team ( ie, defending certain phasegate or powernode or hive, whatever ) so no one can steal the chair while you are away ?

ofcourse, commander should be able to switch this ability off if he wants someone else to command and if that person leaves the game it goes off automaticly.

there is nothing more annoying than if you are asking someone to defend phasegate and no one does and you have to do it your self ( and weld it ) and once you're done some smartass has decided that your team doesn't have enough turrets or whips and starts to spam them everywhere and once you finally get your team to vote him out he's wasted 150 tres.

now, i can't think any problem this could make ? only thing i can think of is that someone could troll and leave the chair to give himself shotgun / jp and not letting anyone to go in chair, but come on, there is already so many ways to troll in this game that this shouldn't be a problem, and voting commander out would ofcourse break the tie.

Comments

• SaltSalt Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This really is a non-issue, If someone takes your chair, and you ask them to give it back to you and don't. then they're trolls, And you warn or ask an admin to either resolve or kick his ass out. (or get the whole of the team to eject him through the menu)

If you're being bad, and someone takes over by voting to eject you then you're just gonna have to take that loss. and hope he can do better than you.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    A reoccuring issue I have encountered is butt-heads running off in all directions then taking the chair either by ordering ejection or when I get out to defend or build all because I want to build my armory more than 10 meters from spawn portals. I think it might be in the water or something. I haven't drunk from tap in a few years, but why are AUSNS so stupid?
    Bob?
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Locking down the chair so that only one person can access it can lose you the game.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    I think it would be good if you could leave the chair with a temporary lock say 30 second lock out on it and nothing more, stop people simply nipping in when you leave but also stop people locking in permanently and trolling but then not commanding at all
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054556:date=Jan 1 2013, 11:15 PM:name=Salt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Salt @ Jan 1 2013, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This really is a non-issue, If someone takes your chair, and you ask them to give it back to you and don't. then they're trolls, And you warn or ask an admin to either resolve or kick his ass out. (or get the whole of the team to eject him through the menu)

If you're being bad, and someone takes over by voting to eject you then you're just gonna have to take that loss. and hope he can do better than you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

problem is not getting the seat back( unless your team is full of rookies who don't know how or why eject commander ), but it's the annoyiance what they do with tres while they are in there and that you are not able to follow / support your team like you need to, as marine it's less of an issue because you can just recycle everything he has done, but as alien khammander it can be devestating, if he drops hive in middle of marines or spams whips, there is no way to get resources back.

<!--quoteo(post=2054583:date=Jan 2 2013, 12:15 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 2 2013, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Locking down the chair so that only one person can access it can lose you the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i really can't see how, if it would be simple button in commander UI to cross over "tie chair" or uncross it so everyone can go in, if commander forgets to untie it so someone else can hop in well, then it's their stupidity.

i could turn this around againts your self, if some noob hops into chair while you are defending your base and starts spamming whips or shotguns that can also lose you a game.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054726:date=Jan 2 2013, 09:43 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Jan 2 2013, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really can't see how, if it would be simple button in commander UI to cross over "tie chair" or uncross it so everyone can go in, if commander forgets to untie it so someone else can hop in well, then it's their stupidity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well what happens when a comm's computer crashes or locks up? Well there goes the game cause sometime the players actually stay on the server for while after crashing and they appear frozen to others but their really gone.

<!--quoteo(post=2054666:date=Jan 2 2013, 07:26 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Jan 2 2013, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be good if you could leave the chair with a temporary lock say 30 second lock out on it and nothing more, stop people simply nipping in when you leave but also stop people locking in permanently and trolling but then not commanding at all<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually not a bad idea.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    You know what I do to fix this problem?

I tell my team on voice chat "Ok guys, I am just getting out of the chair for a moment to build this structure in the base. I'll be back for your needs in a few seconds". Never actually had a problem with someone snuggling a chair from me. If we lose the main command chair in base and the commander takes a moment to respawn, I sometimes take over the second command chair to set up some counter measures and give the commander his chair back as soon as he requests it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2054797:date=Jan 2 2013, 11:53 AM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 2 2013, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what I do to fix this problem?

I tell my team on voice chat "Ok guys, I am just getting out of the chair for a moment to build this structure in the base. I'll be back for your needs in a few seconds". Never actually had a problem with someone snuggling a chair from me. If we lose the main command chair in base and the commander takes a moment to respawn, I sometimes take over the second command chair to set up some counter measures and give the commander his chair back as soon as he requests it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then you must not have played on the UWE servers w/ the recent trend of trolls who jump in the chair and do nothing and vote kick out all other comms. There was a big influx recently about a group of trolls doing this, not sure if it's still happening or not.
    <!--quoteo(post=2054736:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:57 AM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 2 2013, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well what happens when a comm's computer crashes or locks up? Well there goes the game cause sometime the players actually stay on the server for while after crashing and they appear frozen to others but their really gone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same thing would happen whatever this system would be in the game or not ? team would have to kick out the commander to get chair, and if player leaves the game with tied chair, then ofcourse it wouldn't be tied anymore.
    True, all I'm saying is that it shouldn't be locked to a player permanently if they hop out. If anything the 30 second timer would be a nice addition.
    <!--quoteo(post=2054855:date=Jan 2 2013, 12:38 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 2 2013, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, all I'm saying is that it shouldn't be locked to a player permanently if they hop out. If anything the 30 second timer would be a nice addition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i still don't see as... why not ?

i mean, if they cross that box in UI that they want to com whatever they leave the chair or not, i don't see any harm in such system, there could be failsafe system if commandstation is destroyed where commander was during that time, that tie is broken so team can build new ip's if neccesary.
    Well I just don't see a reason we need it. With over 300+ hours I have yet to see a game where somebody stole the comm chair on someone else when they jumped out for a second.
    I'm sure it's probably happened but it's not like it's an out of control problem.