Making EMP viable

douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">a couple ideas</div>In the current balance patch EMP's cooldown is reduced and it now takes 65% of alien energy instead of 50%. This is a start, but it's still not the most interesting feature, nor does it warrant much time/res into using it.

A better (and more interesting) alternative would be to also include a slowdown added to aliens affected by it, and remove a variable amount of energy. Aliens close to the MAC will lose all energy and experience a long slowdown, aliens far away from the MAC will lose a small amount of energy and experience a very short slowdown.

Also, to prevent super overpowered offensive MACs, there should be some sort of siren or light that goes off prior to the EMP and a half second or so prior to the actual EMP so quick and smart aliens can get away.

This could bring about the use of offensive MACs, instead of only using them to support exos.

Comments

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    MAC's are support bots they have ARCs for offensive purposes
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    besides, I find the EMP strong as is.
    Its one of the features I try to use versus a bile gorge, asuming I notice him/her.. works great. The little buff it gets in the next patch will surely make it used more often.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Problem with EMP is that MACs go down so quickly to a gorge bilebombing. And usually you have a gorge bile bombing where there are macs (exos, arcs, base). Sure, you can use the EMP against the gorge, IF you close the distance (though I dunno what the range of EMP is). That mac will quickly become a target though just because how quickly they go down to bile bomb.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    EMP is just way too situational to be used in a good way. The fact that it costs 15 res to actually enable it on MACs makes it even less attractive since there are tons of things that are better investments. It is probably the single update that I am always researching at the very end, if I research it at all.

Maybe the cost should be decreased to 5 res. Just 'cause.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    in my opinion, there should be option for commander to make this ability launch automaticly without activating it as soon as there is alien in range, whatever it's onos or skulk.

ofcourse, for those who wants to launch it manually there should be option for it.