Dedicated servers and multicore support

silentsushix3silentsushix3 Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178337Members
So whats going on with the future of ns2! Will we finally see multi core support or is there any help about boosting performance.
My processor is at 7% with a full 24 man server but the first core is like 96% and may lag at times? How can i fix this or what is going to be done to fix this?

Comments

• krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    edited January 2013
    The best thing to do would be to reduce CPU usage on the main thread. Complete multicore support would be nice but it's not an easy thing to do which is why you don't see any games support it.

Until then your only real option is to throw fast hardware at it.
  • silentsushix3silentsushix3 Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178337Members
    Yes i completely understand that! But I think it is time to start utilizing the technology of today not last year! Multicores and hyper threading have been out for quite some time! I know its hard and may be time consuming! But the outcome i believe would be well worth it to the natural selection 2 team!
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited January 2013
    It's not impossible. I believe the Unreal 3.0, Serious 3.5 and Chrome 5 engine games support multi core on dedicated servers. I know that the unreal engine has full quad core support... Not too sure about the other two yet.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058552:date=Jan 9 2013, 10:26 PM:name=silentsushix3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silentsushix3 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So whats going on with the future of ns2! Will we finally see multi core support or is there any help about boosting performance.
    My processor is at 7% with a full 24 man server but the first core is like 96% and may lag at times? How can i fix this or what is going to be done to fix this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As for now. Disable hyper threadening and use any core you would like BECIDE the first one (core 0). Use high priority on that core you choose for your game server.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058732:date=Jan 9 2013, 10:02 PM:name=silentsushix3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silentsushix3 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes i completely understand that! But I think it is time to start utilizing the technology of today not last year! Multicores and hyper threading have been out for quite some time! I know its hard and may be time consuming! But the outcome i believe would be well worth it to the natural selection 2 team!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I agree it would be great for more companies to utilize full multicore support in there games it could open up a door server providers don't want to see. Very intense and unoptimized games would probably become more common since they could take advantage of multiple cores but that wouldn't make them any cheaper to run, therefor hurting the consumer.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I do not think wither or not Unknown Worlds decides to use multi threading is going to effect the entire gaming industry's usage of said technology...

I think they need to be focused on optimizing their game and not worrying about what sort of BS some other company would do.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059308:date=Jan 11 2013, 08:47 AM:name=ZEROibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZEROibis @ Jan 11 2013, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do not think wither or not Unknown Worlds decides to use multi threading is going to effect the entire gaming industry's usage of said technology...

I think they need to be focused on optimizing their game and not worrying about what sort of BS some other company would do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was speaking more in general there, the more people that start doing it the better chance it could become standard. I agree that focusing on optimizing would be better then multicore support.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058926:date=Jan 10 2013, 07:01 PM:name=kraze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kraze @ Jan 10 2013, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I agree it would be great for more companies to utilize full multicore support in there games it could open up a door server providers don't want to see. Very intense and unoptimized games would probably become more common since they could take advantage of multiple cores but that wouldn't make them any cheaper to run, therefor hurting the consumer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed with you 100%.

<!--quoteo(post=2059352:date=Jan 11 2013, 07:02 PM:name=kraze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kraze @ Jan 11 2013, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059352"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was speaking more in general there, the more people that start doing it the better chance it could become standard. I agree that focusing on optimizing would be better then multicore support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. Absolutely.

Bottom line is, most people will not dedicate all cores in a machine for ns2. It needs to be further optimized for 1-2 thread operation.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058708:date=Jan 10 2013, 04:20 AM:name=kraze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kraze @ Jan 10 2013, 04:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best thing to do would be to reduce CPU usage on the main thread. Complete multicore support would be nice but it's not an easy thing to do <b>which is why you don't see any games support it. </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All the client side games support this nowadays. Servers mostly aswell, and they do support more then 1 core you can set the affinety therby setting it to still run on a single core.

<!--quoteo(post=2058926:date=Jan 10 2013, 08:01 PM:name=kraze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kraze @ Jan 10 2013, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I agree it would be great for more companies to utilize full multicore support in there games it could open up a door server providers don't want to see. Very intense and unoptimized games would probably become more common since they could take advantage of multiple cores but that wouldn't make them any cheaper to run, therefor hurting the consumer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Server providers won't mind. Nowadays most servers are virutal servers which most of the time use shared resources. They would rather have a 2 core server run both it cores at 50% percent then 1 core @ 100%. Escpecially VPS servers which share recourses.

While it is harder to implement multicore support I do see why the NS team chose to not implement it at the start. It would have meant a lot more work. The servers could indeed handle more players easily but this game is not a "16vs16 game". The maps are not made for that and the teambalance isn't aswell. I played a hacked 32 player server once and believe me that was no fun. I tend to avoid 24player games for the same reason.

Now you could say they could make larger maps, but that is where te limitations of the spark engine khick in. With a visibility of max 45 meters larger maps are kinda out of the question.

So while I do believe one day the NS team will improve the server performance I still doubt their main focus will be multicore support.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently I run three to four 20-slot NS2 dedicated servers on a single 4.8ghz i5 box and it runs beautifully, however not everyone out there has access to high clockrate machines. It would be amazing if you could run a couple of servers on near current gen intel machine with approx 3.3ghz clock rates such as common on older xeon based systems. I've got spare quad core i5 PCs running at approx 3.0ghz to 3.4ghz that cannot be overclocked (HP desktop bios) and I simply can't put them to good use as they struggle to run a single 18 slot server's endgame. I also have friends with access to great internet connections who have spare xeon machines running at around 2.4 to 3.0ghz who have also tried hosting servers but get the same performance issues.

I'm thinking multicore utilization could possibly remedy all this? But again I do understand this is potentially a huge time and money investment by UWE but... perhaps the payoff is worth it?

Food for thought.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061657:date=Jan 16 2013, 03:14 PM:name=AussieKid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AussieKid @ Jan 16 2013, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently I run three to four 20-slot NS2 dedicated servers on a single 4.8ghz i5 box and it runs beautifully, however not everyone out there has access to high clockrate machines. It would be amazing if you could run a couple of servers on near current gen intel machine with approx 3.3ghz clock rates such as common on older xeon based systems. I've got spare quad core i5 PCs running at approx 3.0ghz to 3.4ghz that cannot be overclocked (HP desktop bios) and I simply can't put them to good use as they struggle to run a single 18 slot server's endgame. I also have friends with access to great internet connections who have spare xeon machines running at around 2.4 to 3.0ghz who have also tried hosting servers but get the same performance issues.

I'm thinking multicore utilization could possibly remedy all this? But again I do understand this is potentially a huge time and money investment by UWE but... perhaps the payoff is worth it?

Food for thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can, I'm currently running three 20 slot servers on a E5-2690 in a virtual environment(six dedicated HT cores), I've also tested with E3-1270's. All servers run just fine.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    After monitoring a servers cpu for hours and memory usage I could not find any correlation between tick rate and either of those two values.

I wish there was some sort of way to run server side (client side would be nice too) benchmarks that could help to test what and where we are having issues. In CSS for example I would just fill a server with bots to simulate load and test out different scenarios to then see how mods ect effect the performance and test for memory leaks.

Currently from what I have seen the largest bottleneck is either in memory bandwidth/size or in IO (possibly due to extensive logging combined with lack of append feature).

Example right now: (both full)
    18 player ns2 server 646,144k and 16cpu (memory usage here is lowest I have seen in days/weeks usually over 1gb)
    40 player zombie server 479,972k and 19cpu
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    You could run the server with a p_logall console command and run that server *.plog file (%appdata%\Natural Selection 2) through the perfanalyzer

\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\utils\PerfAnalyzer

I'm not entirely sure which version of Python you'd need though (or how it actually works :P)