Migrating between versions

QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
I know how source controll systems work but i was wondering how do other modders / mods do this?
if a new version of NS2 is released its likely a lot of current mods break as its build upon the code of the old version

ofcourse i dont want to redo each change manuely, automerging probely works best here.

however i dont thier main code as a ropository.

Comments

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I have a local Git version control repository on my PC which just hosts the 'lua' folder. Whenever a new version of NS2 comes out I make a new commit on it and it allows me to see a log of what has changed on each version of NS2 (very handy for debugging stuff when a new version comes out).

In terms of keeping your code maintained in the long-term, by far the easiest way to do it is to make sure to use hooks, (either fsfod's or sewlek's framework) or to change as few files as possible so that you don't need to keep updating often.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Previous build's Lua files are zipped up in the "builds" folder if you want to create repository to merge you modified files into.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    hmm yeh i was thiking of creating my own git repo t host the clean lua source, and put by own code in a different brance and just keep rebaseing the changes.

but hooking is also a nice idea i didnt consider before
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Anyone got a copy of the build 235 code you could zip up and send me?

UWE managed to ship the some half updated frankenbuild 236 in both build_235.zip and build_236.zip, which I relied on to find if anything has been broken in mods...

Edit: Got it, thanks.