Build 236 postponed

nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
<div class="IPBDescription">true or false and do we get content in the meantime?</div>Ok guys. The title says it all. I heard on NS2 twitter that build 236 is being postponed.

My question is?

1. What happened?

2. Does this mean we won't be getting new content until build 236 is ready?

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited January 2013
    1) It seems hugh was a plant from a rival developer. Possibly the Israel based developers of Aliens: Colonial Marines. Hugh has uploaded the suxtnet virus. UWE has lost control of the centrifuges. This means that the marines will not be getting the game ending nuke anymore. My contact at the KGB confirm this. Frankly, the damage seems irreparable. The railgun exo was also dependent of the centrifuges for the waste byproduct of the depleted uranium. Without this super dense material, UWE will need to use their backup railgun ammunition, fruitcake. Its not ideal, and lacks some of the penetrative power of the depleted uranium, but at least we have a post-holiday surplus of fruitcake.

2) Let me ask you this.... If we get new content when UWE releases a new build, and UWE has postponed the release of the new build. Will we get new content before the release the build?

:P

PS

1) Hugh oopsied. hopefully not a major setback.

2) patch delayed, therefore, content delayed.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Patches are released as builds, so until b236 is ready you won't see any new content. It's already in open beta testing so I imagine it'll come pretty soon.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    <a href="https://twitter.com/NS2/status/290949188227837952" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/NS2/status/290949188227837952</a> XD
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Hughs dropbox must have had a different version of the 236 build and instead of downloading the last build it started to upload his version which got shared to everybody else => lots of changed files => pretty much a broken build.

I dont think the build that is shared for playtesters etc is the main place devs work in. (there must be some local backup/version control something - right?)
    This means UWE just has to push a fresh version and every playtester has to redownload it. (at least it feels like this would be the easiest thing to do)

Something like that. (shouldnt be as big of a deal as it sounds)

Worst case would be that hugh now has to clean up the ###### and go trough thousands of files and revert them back in the dropbox history to the correct version i guess? (tho maybe its a lot easier than that, havent had the pleasure to deal with such a problem ever and also never used the dropbox for teams)

But i could be wrong with all of that, anyway - poor hugh :/
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    it is surprising, isnt it?
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060836:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:21 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 15 2013, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hughs dropbox must have had a different version of the 236 build and instead of downloading the last build it started to upload his version which got shared to everybody else => lots of changed files => pretty much a broken build.

I dont think the build that is shared for playtesters etc is the main place devs work in.
    This means UWE just has to push a fresh version and every playtester has to redownload it compleatly again. (at least it feels like this would be the easiest thing to do)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Koruyo, thank you. This is the answer I was looking for. :D
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    236 will be out very soon. Hugh did a great job in making sure it's done when it's done ;)
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    just like every time you say the words fat and gaben on steam in the same sentence HL episode 3 gets delayed, Hugh found a way of doing this whenever someone mentions the Hughnicorn.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2060836:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:21 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 15 2013, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hughs dropbox must have had a different version of the 236 build and instead of downloading the last build it started to upload his version which got shared to everybody else => lots of changed files => pretty much a broken build.

I dont think the build that is shared for playtesters etc is the main place devs work in. (there must be some local backup/version control something - right?)
    This means UWE just has to push a fresh version and every playtester has to redownload it. (at least it feels like this would be the easiest thing to do)

Something like that. (shouldnt be as big of a deal as it sounds)

Worst case would be that hugh now has to clean up the ###### and go trough thousands of files and revert them back in the dropbox history to the correct version i guess? (tho maybe its a lot easier than that, havent had the pleasure to deal with such a problem ever and also never used the dropbox for teams)

But i could be wrong with all of that, anyway - poor hugh :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they really use dropbox I can't even start to express how wrong this is.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    please tell me this is a troll

I will faint if I find out UWE uses dropbox and doesn't back up things
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    they use dropbox for delivering the nda beta versions to the betatesters i guess...

years ago they had a post about code and version control software they use...

was about git i guess?
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Don't think I can comment on things that much but pretty sure it'll be ok.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2060839:date=Jan 15 2013, 07:34 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Jan 15 2013, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hooves for hands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LOL that got me good

@ op it was only a minor 20 minute setback for most. :) which is nothing in "PT time" hehe
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    edited January 2013
    Also, there seems to be some confusion. Build 236 NOT the content patch, this is more of a big fixing patch. You can even beta test it if you want.

The big content patch with the Exo's rail gun, gorge tunnels, and the new map will be another patch slated for "late January/early February", so expect it in March.
  • MakasMakas Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179678Members
    <a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151247397868105&set=a.95246163104.83850.87948998104&type=1&relevant_count=1" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...elevant_count=1</a>

Something's not right here.