Problem I saw with new cyst range

_Sy_Sy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180016Members
Just played a game on summit where a comm ran into not being able to cyst across the to the RT platform in Atrium. Due to the new 6m range and his placement of a couple nearby cysts under the walkway...he effectively locked himself out of being able to grow infestation across the platform to cap the RT. Warning for alien comm's reading this. Plan your cysts accordingly, a meter to close on a lower level may leave you wondering why you can't cyst across upper walkways.

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I had similar problems as well.
    They should cut it to like 4 m.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    <sup><!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->You need to learn to be more constructive. - Angelusz<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    What's the point in the minimum cyst range anyway, to prevent a comm from slowing down the marines expansion by filling a room with cysts? That sounds like a valid (high-cost) strategy to me rather than something to avoid.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061860:date=Jan 17 2013, 12:01 AM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 17 2013, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the point in the minimum cyst range anyway, to prevent a comm from slowing down the marines expansion by filling a room with cysts? That sounds like a valid (high-cost) strategy to me rather than something to avoid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't really see how cyst spam could be considered less valid than armory wall-offs.
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    No its a cyst spam thing.

My clan recently had a scrim where we pressured the forward marine base in repair (TRAM of course), while the skulks and fades annoyed the marines I was able to spam the bejesus out of repair, killing mines and so much in fact I was able to grow two whips in behind the com chair they built without them knowing, I kept the marines busy by shooting the cysts I was dropping at their feet. By the time they knew my whips were up it was too late, i just unrooted them and brought them up to whip the marines.
    IF you have the res, cyst spam is very effective at keeping marines busy.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2061865:date=Jan 16 2013, 11:20 PM:name=billet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billet @ Jan 16 2013, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No its a cyst spam thing.

My clan recently had a scrim where we pressured the forward marine base in repair (TRAM of course), while the skulks and fades annoyed the marines I was able to spam the bejesus out of repair, killing mines and so much in fact I was able to grow two whips in behind the com chair they built without them knowing, I kept the marines busy by shooting the cysts I was dropping at their feet. By the time they knew my whips were up it was too late, i just unrooted them and brought them up to whip the marines.
    IF you have the res, cyst spam is very effective at keeping marines busy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I realize it's effective, but it's very time intensive, costs a good amount of res, and only works either as or with a distraction. It's also hard-countered by a single flamethrower who can still fight the aliens at the same time. Overall it sounds valid rather than nerfworthy.

The only other thing I can think of is the potential lag caused by excessive amounts of cysts, but I haven't actually seen that happen either.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    cyst spam destroys server performance
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061870:date=Jan 17 2013, 07:38 AM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 17 2013, 07:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only other thing I can think of is the potential lag caused by excessive amounts of cysts, but I haven't actually seen that happen either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It won't lag, but your FPS will drop like a stone. Happened once, I was marine commander, khamm spammed so many cysts he hit entite limit and was unable to drop the hive in cargo. While I was hovering over cargo my FPS dropped by ½ compared to any other place on the map. There is alrdy an preformance problem, no need to help that out by spamming cysts even if its a valid "tactic".
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    Cysts and cyst spam is pretty annoying and lame overall; It's just no fun for anyone to see them spammed and actually try to kill them when there's 4 around one rt. FL is a hard counter for them but that's the only thing that weapon is good for so it's never worth upgrading. This change is good tune for the overall game flow and I approves. But placing them now can become a tiny problem but it creates a nice little puzzles for all of you to solve <3
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited January 2013
    It's ###### on some maps like mineshaft where you place a cyst too close to the area just above the south side RT in central and can't place another next to the actual node. I'd like to see it dropped by a 1m because I like to double/triple up cysts on RTs I hold but completely understand why it was implemented, nothing fun about being cyst spammed by an alien comm with nutrient mist up maturing everything faster either at a contested RT or in your base.

edit: really, <sup><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->*SNIP* And by dodging the filter, you earned a warning!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup> is an offensive word, what the hell kind of filter is this.

<sup><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->If you're honestly looking for an answer, PM about it. Don't post it in a random thread. - Angelusz<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061844:date=Jan 17 2013, 06:27 AM:name=_Sy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Sy @ Jan 17 2013, 06:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just played a game on summit where a comm ran into not being able to cyst across the to the RT platform in Atrium. Due to the new 6m range and his placement of a couple nearby cysts under the walkway...he effectively locked himself out of being able to grow infestation across the platform to cap the RT. Warning for alien comm's reading this. Plan your cysts accordingly, a meter to close on a lower level may leave you wondering why you can't cyst across upper walkways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here. Different map, bit the potential for locking oneself out of a key spot is muh much bigger now. Not only I locked myself out of a Ressource Point in a game yesterday but also locked myslef out of a couple sweet spots to drop an advance healing outpost for Onos in their final attack. This forced me to drop the crags and shades in the middle of a corridor completely vulnerable to any off marine deciding to randomly shoot from the other end... sigh.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061865:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:20 AM:name=billet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billet @ Jan 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No its a cyst spam thing.

IF you have the res, cyst spam is very effective at keeping marines busy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why buy time with cysts to let whips grow when you can just teleport them in fully matured instantly through shift, propably more cost effective and reliable at same time too.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    what if he had no fully mature shift at the time? what if he had no shift hive? :o
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited January 2013
    Have to admit considering cysts are a res drain I dont get the change.

If your base being cysted is an issue..buy a FT or welder (lots of people sit there shooting even though both are available at armoury) as they both make total mince meat out of cysts faster than most khamms can afford.

The issue of aliens needing to build on infestation when coupled with the new limit does present some major challenges for a khamm.
    You almost need to know where you want every cyst on the map to ensure the best coverage of a map.

Whilst I agree this is no worse than armoury walling, I will even go further and say I think its actually more like being arced in locker from Bar, or in deposit from central.
    A well prepared marine team has a counter...just as that alien team also has to have a plan to counter these arcing strats.

Cysts, or rather infestation, are/is so crucial to the alien team that risking them being locked out of a res node due to it is unacceptable.
    I can only assume that the cyst limit has some sort of performance gain (as alien wins often seem laggier..esp when heavily cysted).
    As the risk of a khamm locking out a res node due to this limit increases as it does, this strikes me as unintended move that restricts the alien economy.

Perhaps harvesters could be built off infestation if within a certain distance from infestation (to avoid khamms harvesting the map at the start) and generate a small patch of infestation (radius matching distance they could be built off).
    That way as long as can get infestation to within x metre (maybe 0.5 -1) of res node it will be dropped, build and connect up, so the cyst range limit wont have this impact as easily.
    Could even be considered for other structures, it could be viewed as a really expensive way to spread infestation. Not something you would want to do (cysts are cheaper than crags, whips harvesters etc) but if you cant place another cyst yet need more infestation this could be a way to reduce the issue.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Being able to recycle cysts would solve this problem I guess. Limiting cysts is a good change in my opinion, but if these problems occur, there must be a way out.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    isn't this more of a bug that some how the 'z' axis is being used to calc min cyst distance?

just cal it differently? (using whatever 'pathing' is used to drop cysts in the first place)
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Seems to me that UWE is simply taking away another tactic that, alien commanders can use to win games.

Now if they want to keep it fair then place restrictions on how close marines can build identical building next to each other i.e. armory walls and placing buildings so close to power nodes that aliens can't hit them.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Simple fix: Calculate the distance of cysts the same way, the available drop area is calculated. (AI pathing algo)
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    edited January 2013
    I've had serious issues alien commanding with this change of locking myself out of entire routes let alone individual RT's. Being unable to remove cysts as Alien Commander makes this especially problematic.

There needs to be a way to remove cysts or alter the mechanic in placing them so you do not lock yourself out of placements.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Like I said before the patch hit, 2m to 6m feels too big of a change.

Placing cysts feels clunky now.

Should have tried 4m first.
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    What if it was changed to dynamically heighten the range if more cysts are about?
    so if 1 cyst in range, minimum is 2yards, if 2 cysts in range then 4 yards, etc
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2061989:date=Jan 17 2013, 03:28 PM:name=AshTrai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AshTrai @ Jan 17 2013, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if it was changed to dynamically heighten the range if more cysts are about?
    so if 1 cyst in range, minimum is 2yards, if 2 cysts in range then 4 yards, etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too complicated, would only make things very confusing for commanders.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited January 2013
    I like the current cyst distance limit. It gives marines a chance to clear a room of infestation where as before it could be almost impossible. It feels more balanced now... That being said, what if the khammander had a special cyst they could put down that defies the minimum distance rule and it costs a good amount of res (considerably more than a regular cyst)... This way they would not get stuck in not being able to cyst an area effectively. It gives them a way out and at the same time promotes better thinking before you cyst behavior :)
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062000:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:54 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jan 17 2013, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too complicated, would only make things very confusing for commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i don't think so because the only time they would come in contact with the restriction would be if they are spamming the area with cysts which is what the current limitation is trying to prevent anyway.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    It does indeed feel clunky.
    I tend to keep cyst routes as clean as a can, with only some backup cysts at some key locations, and when I want to place a cyst under cover of a object.

The second is proving to be a lot more difficult with this mechanic, as is clean routes
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    This is indeed a problem, I've passed it up so the appropriate mapper can take a look at it. Thanks for mentioning it.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    I've had the same problem as an alien commander in Veil, especially in the area from sub to overlook (where you have to cyst up and around the staircase).
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    i'd say, if it's a decision tied to performance, than it's an especially ugly decision. if it's tied to cyst spam... i don't know what to say about that, you're nerfing like, one of 3 things khamms can actually micromanage early game. again, i don't see how cyst spam is different from a walloff. or power node fortification.

it feels like you're throwing on artificial and arbitrary constraints, because you didn't envision and account for this form of delaying tactic. which, you know, not that big a leap of imagination. again, it uses res, a marine can take out like 2-3 of the newly dropped ones, with a single clip... so lets say, a marine can shoot something like 10 of these buggers before he's empty. and he can get topped off with a 1t-res ammo drop. seems like an excellent trade.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep in mind that Cyst initial health was just dropped to 50 (from 100 before), so a full lmg magazine can technically take out 10 newly formed cysts.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062220:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:40 PM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StixNStonz @ Jan 17 2013, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep in mind that Cyst initial health was just dropped to 50 (from 100 before), so a full lmg magazine can technically take out 10 newly formed cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They start gaining health instantly and continue to do so even when being fired on, so it will take at least 1 extra bullet per cyst even with absolutely perfect aim, timing, and trigger discipline (without w1).

Either way, I still think cyst spam is a perfectly fair tactic. Not so unfun for the marines to deal with either since it inflates their score.