fed up with mod system

john_bjohn_b Join Date: 2011-03-10 Member: 85608Members
I'm just coming here to say how frustrating it all really is:

The Objective: Once bigger and better parts of my map are done I'd like to boot up a server and have my friends join it, auto-downloading the map.
The problem: It doesn't work.

I just unsuccessfully tried publishing the level to the steam workshop. It's so unnecessarily complicated just to download a level that just uses the default gamerules and settings.

Why is it unnecessary? Because in Half life 1 & CS, when you joined a server that had a custom map going and you did not have the map, it auto downloaded it. Oh my god!
A game over 10 years old had this feature, but NS2 does not.

One of the reasons cs, tf and even ns1 stayed popular and fresh over the years for so long was because of features like this.

I don't even care whos fault it is, I'm just pointing out whoever made this system took a perfectly good system, scrapped it and implemented a confusing arduous process.

Comments

• bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    What does NS2 stand for in your post? Because it sure isn't Natural Selection 2.

Steam workshop may be slow and unreliable at times, but it is <b>easy </b>and maps <b>do auto download</b>. They even <b>auto update</b> once installed on a server, without you having to reinstall the map or even restart the server.

Also, if uploading to steam workshop fails the first time, just try it again. Thats what I do and it works the second time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So you're requesting a system in NS2 that's already in game? The Steam Workshop does everything you need as bp2008 said...
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    Guys I think this might be bugged then. Maps I download disappear all the time from lists and I have to reactive them. If I join a server and I don't have a map, I get booted saying mod has not been downloaded when all I was missing was a map. There has been multiple times I have re-enabled mods just for them to not work again and I can't join many servers. Sometimes I have all of the server's requirements but I get an error that my version differs from the server. In the last 10 times I tried to play ns2 I have ran into these errors. To be honest its why I stopped working on my map because I can never play it.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Are you behind a proxy or any other kind of firewall? It may be that the connection to the Workshop is being blocked in your case... I had similar problems in the past when I was using ZoneAlarm, which I have to switch to Game Mode to publish things.
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    I disabled my firewall and I still have the issue. No proxy.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    I've had a similar issue when trying to play combat.

It wouldn't let me download the workshop content while joining from the server browser, but if I activated the mods manually they would download fine from workshop.

Maybe the system needs a looking at.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    There is definitely something broken.

I'm having the same problem - I can't join modded servers because the attempt to download the mod fails. But if I go into Steam Workshop and manually subscribe to the required mod, then I can join the server.

Several other people are having the same problem, as noted in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127237" target="_blank">this other forum thread</a>.

So, to john_b (the OP): NS2 is <b>supposed</b> to work the way you were expecting it to, and it <b>has</b> worked this way in the past, but it looks like something recently broke. Hopefully someone will fix it soon, because I agree, it's annoying.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Frequently when you get the missing mod messages, the console will show error 16 for the download attempt(s). Happens to me a lot, too, particularly on servers that run a lot of custom maps so you have a whole bunch of chances for it to fail.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I got quite confused by the system as well, such as had issues with maps not being sent along with the rest of the mod, or when I join a server, sometimes it downloads the mod from there, while other times it kicks me as I differ and I have to enable a new item in the menu.
    Sometimes I can enter servers without disabling mods, as they are not used anyway, while at other times the server decides to kick me, even had some servers that work on rejoin, and some that doesnt work unless I retry thrice after disabling those mods :S
    Something feels counterintuitive at the least...