How do I get my map to work.

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
Hey guys, I'm just starting to explore ns2 mapping and I am having a really tough time finding information on how to get started with mapping. Sure, there's a couple tutorials on pushing models and world geometry around, but there's not much information on getting a level actually working.

I tried playtesting it, but all I do is get a "FILE NOT FOUND" error. What am I doing wrong? How do I test a map?

Comments

• Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Hi Ironsoul :) I had the same problem as you not long ago.

I would advise you to read and install this helpfull tool <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119239" target="_blank">Ns2 Forums</a>

It allows you, with one click, to build the minimap and export the necesarry files for ns2 to run your level.

As far as I can remember you need a powernode, a tech point and a resource tower entity in order for the map to run. You also have to name your save Ns2_yourmap. Cheats 1 will start the round even with 0 players, so if you added atleast one commander camera entity you can test commander view. A minimap extend entity is also a good idea so the generated one don't include your ready room. The way to make it work perfectly is to make the entity, then have scale at "1" and shift dragging and edge in order to get a perfect square of the entity covering your map. If you just scale it to fit and make a non perfect square the ratio on the map will be messed up.

Hope this helped you a little :) Maybe there is something I missed but then the pro's will elaborate on my post, im sure :)

GL with your mapping <3
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Is the .level file in the ns2/maps folder? I mean what file is not found, the .level file or is something missing in your map?

The smallest setup for a maptest would be a single room with a readyroom start entity in it. Add 1 gamerules, pathing and maybe skybox entity somehwere in the level (near the readyroom makes the most sense).

If you start your level then you should find yourself inside a dark black box. If that is still not enough, the level requires a second seperated room with 2 techpoint entities and resourcepoint entities inside. Set one techpoint to alien spawn, one to marine spawn. Then add player_join entities to your readyroom and set them to join rines and the other one to well, aliens :D Add some lights to your map and see if that works. Everything else starts from that.

If you open the console, it can tell you important things like what is missing in your map or what is causing problems. Keep asking if I missed your point or if it isn't working ^^ We will guide you, and welcome in the world of sparks :D

Oh and don't believe the mapping guide. It is usefull for starters, but very old. You don't need waypoints for example.
    <!--quoteo(post=2065369:date=Jan 23 2013, 05:08 AM:name=[AwE]Sentinel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([AwE]Sentinel @ Jan 23 2013, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Is the .level file in the ns2/maps folder? I mean what file is not found, the .level file or is something missing in your map?

<b>The smallest setup for a maptest would be a single room with a readyroom start entity in it. Add 1 gamerules, pathing and maybe skybox entity somehwere in the level (near the readyroom makes the most sense).</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn I knew I forgot something :D
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    thanks guys, I got some stuff working so that's great.
  • NeoadNeoad Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15682Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    +1 for info in this thread.

I am a fairly experienced mapper using Hammer mainly, but I also struggled with the lack of information on "your first map" like you said only a few tutorials on geometry and advanced techniques all of which are all great! The editor itself is great just took me a bit longer to work stuff out.

I did the trial and error method with my map and also used the example map floating about on the forums which helped a lot, I just did the "click on everything" read it and slowly work out what each entity does :)
    Glad to be of assistance :)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    the friendliest people can be found in the mapping forums. Add us on steam and join us sundays for custom map playtests where you can get a TON of valuable mapping information.
    Sure, send me a friend request on steam, I can't find you.
    Bump, ok, so I've got what I think is the basics of a level in place just for testing. How do I get the map to show up in my create game( create listen server) screen of ns2. It's just not showing up.
    If it is in the folder with the other maps, it should appear in the list as soon as you restart or open NS2.

Make sure to give it a name like ns2_testmap.level
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    you can also just open the console (~) and type:

map yourmapsname
    Alright, that's all working now. Next problem "Couldn't Compute Random Spawn for player". meaning I always spawn via infantry portal rather than just pop into the world. What's causing this? I thought it was a lack of space, so I widened the room area, but that didn't work. I looked for some sort of spawn entity, but could find any.

I think this might be the final issue that needs to be solved, as all the other things in ns2 maps (Sounds, moving props) seems fairly straight forward.
    Room to spawn or plant eggs is good. If you spawn always with an IP -> can it be that you join a team with "cheats 0"? Try it with "cheats 1" enabled. Then you can also use the CC, but be aware that you will need a working minimap for that or the level might freeze.
    game won't let me use cheats... says I'm not allowed... what's up with that.
    No idea. If you create your own game, you should be allowed to use that command. It should work ^_^`
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2066698:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:18 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Jan 25 2013, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright, that's all working now. Next problem "Couldn't Compute Random Spawn for player". meaning I always spawn via infantry portal rather than just pop into the world. What's causing this? I thought it was a lack of space, so I widened the room area, but that didn't work. I looked for some sort of spawn entity, but could find any.

I think this might be the final issue that needs to be solved, as all the other things in ns2 maps (Sounds, moving props) seems fairly straight forward.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Type nav_debug in console to see the navigation mesh, the error indicates that it's broken and it can't path outside of the Tech Point.
    I got this blue plane all over my level.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067764:date=Jan 28 2013, 08:39 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Jan 28 2013, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got this blue plane all over my level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's the navigation mesh - just turn it off in the console :) nav_debug 0

you only need to see it if you are wondering why something can't build or if your mac's and stuff won't go where you want them to.

also to turn on cheats you gotta do "cheats 1" in the console (without the double quotes)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Do you have that blue plane without gaps between your tech point and the res of the room or does it break? Because if it does it's why it can't "compute random spawns".