NS1 veteran, NS2 newbie

poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of playing NS2 in the near future. Played a lot of NS1 in its heyday and I mean a LOT, so much so that I just had to stop, was almost like an addiction.

Is this game as addictive and/or a time-thief as NS1 was (is?). Is this a game where you can hop in and play and then hop out without much trouble, or are you morally tied to a game, where you are literally ruining the fun for others if you are hopping in and out too much?

I have a child now which requires a fair bit of attention, but I do get some downtime where I can play video games watch movies or the like. But sometimes I'm interrupted and have to hop away. Not as much as it used to be though, which is why I'm considering playing NS2 at this time. Mostly because I've watched the development of this game from the beginning and I'm very excited about it. Finally having a little time to play.

So the big question is: is it bad if I join a game, play a little and then quit before the end of that map? Or is the game dynamic much different?

Comments

• Warrior JWarrior J Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172431Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think you'll be fine playing with your schedule. The addition of auto team balance means leaving the game early won't have much of an effect on your team. Or if you need to step away from your computer for a bit you can join the ready room temporarily. When you rejoin your team you'll still have your personal res from before.

I say go for it and enjoy it at your own pace. Welcome back! =)
  • poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    Thank you Warrior J, I will most definitely give the game a try.

Would like to hear from others too. Anybody that disagrees with Warrior J or has some other spin on this matter?

I know that in NS1 that it was not fun when people left in the middle of a game. But the effect was more pronounced when there were few players. How many players are there on average per team?
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    between 6 and 12 players per team.
    I think you shouldn't be comm if you're not sure if you can play for ~ 1 hour, since a comm leaving in the middle of a game is very bad.
    Otherwise it's normally ok to leave most games. Obviously, if you are the only Onos or Fade or Exo left, it's very bad for your team if you leave.
    But from my experience, most people don't take it too seriously. It's a game after all, so you should leave it if there are import things happening, that need your attention. Just tell people you have to leave, so it doesn't look like ragequitting :D
    So go ahead and buy it! You'll have a lot of fun.
    Thanks 3del! that is very helpful.
  • bekammkbekammk Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179603Members
    Well im new to but u cant say im bad player.....
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Generally hopping out mid-match won't have a massive impact. If playing as Marine, you can negate the impact further by quickly using up your Pres on additional weapons for your team (buy & drop, rinse and repeat till your res is gone). If alien, it's going to have a larger impact as your Pres is lost when you leave...you can't give your teammates any goodies before you leave, except if you go gorge and drop some hydras/clogs in a good position. Unless your removing an onos or fade from the field though, again, it shouldn't be a massive hit for them.

You'll find yourself wanting to play out the full match, but not being able to consistently is no reason not to get involved. Hope to see you on the front lines soon :)
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I'm also a NS1 veteran and this game is no less addictive than NS1 - probably even more addictive :D
    But it's very fun.
    Thank you Chizzler. I've actually already seen you around :) I play under Ascophyllum because that is the genus name of the species I'm studying Ascophyllum nodosum. When I use poloq people think I'm polish :P

Eddie, well lets hope this won't draw me too much in, I don't have the time =)
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    I do think i recall playing with a "Ascophyllum" :)

GG :P
  • noh0pe4unoh0pe4u Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58260Members
    It's totally a time sink dude. At least, for me anyway. I try and be responsible and do my homework while saying "Well, maybe a little NS2 first to get in the zone...." and it turns into a couple hours. Good luck.
    Yeah I think NS1 and NS2 are the same in that regard, you end up playing a lot more than you intended =)

There are some other things that aren't the same and I'm kinda disappointed, for instance onos being able to swallow marines whole, that was fun. Most of the things that are different are probably done for balance and even though its the same in many ways its also different in many ways so that you can actually go back to playing NS1 and it feels like a different game.