Can't download mods

mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
Greetings. I have a major problem. Since a lot of servers require a mod to be able to connect, I simply cannot join these servers. No matter what server, it always says: "downloading mods", and eventually it gives an error (in console) and ends up with "missing required mod". So there are a lot of servers that I cannot join. Can someone help me out with this?

greetz

Comments

• sonix1977nlsonix1977nl Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58831Members, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I have the same problem or a very similar one. A lot of times when I join a server that uses mods I get the error "missing required mod". Closing the game, cleaning the contents of the "%APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop" folder resolves that problem for me. But after some time, the same error comes back again. Rinse and repeat. Any idea what is causing this problem?
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I have sonix's problem but didn't knkow that's what fixed it (thanks!). At the very least, there are probably a good deal of players confused by these errors, I thought that I might have to manually find and download the required mods based on that error and, of course, just move on to different vanilla servers.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    your problem should be caused by the workshop. sometimes (most of the time actually ^^) your client cant connect to the workshop when attempting to join a server. instead of downloading the mods you get an error (28 i think) and it kicks you back to menu with "missing files" (etc.). we have the problem all the time on the ensl servers (sometimes you can connect, sometimes you cant) when we run custom maps or certain mods.
    in general you can say bigger mods have a higher chance of a workshop error. especially when the workshop is under heavy load.
  • mega_stihlmega_stihl Join Date: 2012-03-25 Member: 149363Members
    but then again: why is there no place on the internet to manually download these mods? I feel trapped ...
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    mega_stihl wrote: »
    but then again: why is there no place on the internet to manually download these mods? I feel trapped ...

eeh ?
    well there is the workshop where you can download all mods you need ?!
    Gamerkatze wrote: »
    eeh ?
    well there is the workshop where you can download all mods you need ?!

got a link?
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    mega_stihl wrote: »
    got a link?

In Steam, go to Library, click Natural Selection, click "Browse Workshop".
    semihandy wrote: »
    In Steam, go to Library, click Natural Selection, click "Browse Workshop".

I will check that out. Thanks a lot everyone for the replies :)
    edited February 2013
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    tried deleting the workshop files still don't work
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    edited February 2013
    It may be a certain mod or mods that are not downloading. Try joining a modded server, and after it kicks you out grab your log file and post it here. You can get to you log file by going to Users> (User Profile)> AppData> Roaming> Natural Selection 2> log,txt

This problem has been ongoing for some time now. Sometimes if the server is restarted or the client is restarted it fixes it. It is in my own belief that this is not a server or client side issue, but an issue within Steam itself and the Workshop.