Bringing back parasite structures.

phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
As subject - miss this sooo much :-}

The energy used to parasite is also grossly disproportionate to the damage it does, you should be able to fire perhaps five or six parasites off with a full energy bar.

Comments

• GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Plus it becomes totally useless in the lategame. I support this.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Yea, I'd like to see it as well.

Though it should be removable in some way, I'd say with a Welder!
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting idea, would be very useful to pinpoint the location of certain key structures for the rest of the alien team to coordinate directed attacks.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    edited February 2013
    I think changing the nature of parasite at all was a poor decision. Especially after making medpacks remove the para.

I'm still in the habit of parasiting RT's as I approach so that, should I fail to destroy it, my team still see's it on the map. Having parasite time out after 30 seconds seems silly. Yet despite all these changes turning parasite into an significantly limited tool it still devours huge amounts of energy when you use it.

Also it's not just an idea. It used to be that way and it was great.
  • wollofwollof Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182925Members
    To be honest, I think it would be a little unbalanced if only one team should be able to "spot" buildings on the map. NS2 is a mix between FPS and RTS, so I would love to see fog of war. All building discovered should show on the map until they get destroyed in my opinion.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Parasite certainly needs a few changes. About the only use for it currently is the para - 2 bite kill early game. I'm ok with medpacks and armories removing it, but the timeout and not being able to para structures seem such silly limitations.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    omg.. para is no longer permanent? I didnt even know. (explains why para targets are always gone).
    I agree on this topics idea & all the additions.
    Armories already remove parasite. Should be plenty.

As for the buildings... hmm.. id say weld
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    I'm on the fence with Armories and Medpacks removing the parasite as well as it fading over time. I don't like it. I would okay with Armories removing it, but the medpack and timed component I don't like.

I am on the fence because I know that, back in NS1 when I got parasited, I would simply go off on a suicide scout run and I am sure I wasn't alone. So as a trade off, I think the armory removing them is enough. The fact that it fades with time is bad enough, but a simple medpack removing it makes it fairly worthless on top of the medpack.

I would also like to see parasites able to affect buildings again.
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    I'm on the fence with Armories and Medpacks removing the parasite as well as it fading over time. I don't like it. I would okay with Armories removing it, but the medpack and timed component I don't like.

I am on the fence because I know that, back in NS1 when I got parasited, I would simply go off on a suicide scout run and I am sure I wasn't alone. So as a trade off, I think the armory removing them is enough. The fact that it fades with time is bad enough, but a simple medpack removing it makes it fairly worthless on top of the medpack.

I would also like to see parasites able to affect buildings again.

Armories I'm happy with.
    Medpack, meh I can understand and it doesn't irk me that much.
    Timing I do not like, one bit. Even as a marine it seems cheap, "oh ok guess I'll just walk it off".

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I like welder parasite removal the best. duration should be much longer (think 2 minutes) and medkits shouldn't just remove it.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    I like welder parasite removal the best. duration should be much longer (think 2 minutes) and medkits shouldn't just remove it.

Oh I like that!

Welders remove it from players or buildings. Armories have welders built-in so they to can remove parasites.

The timing I would make indefinite. Means one marine can't sneak around for long, soon as a Skulk sees him they have a really good reason to use parasite, even if they get killed that lone marines going to remain on everyone's map and hivesight. Makes parasite way more useful and makes marines work together more to keep parasites off each other, especially when going for a sneak attack.
  • poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    I also miss being able to tag buildings. For some balance I think marines should have a smart map, where if one marine spots a structure it stays there on the map until another marine or a scan confirms that its not there anymore.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yes, yes and yes.

Why does para have a time limit on it? Why can it be removed? Doesn't make any sense to me.
  • PoweredByBallsPoweredByBalls Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183175Members
    These are great suggestions. I hope the devs read this.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    All my yes for buildings, less energy, last longer, and welder removal.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The people have spoken.
  • archwaykittenarchwaykitten Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180431Members
    I like just about all of the ideas in this thread. Parasited buildings, and removed time limits sound great!

If welders were able to remove parasites from people, I think it should take a fair amount of time (like 7-10 seconds). It should be hard to find someone with a welder and get the parasite removed, otherwise parasite would likely become weaker (against good teams) than it is now with the 30 second timeout.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    My ideal parasite:
    -Only removable by armory
    -Infinite life time
    -Tags structures until welded to full health/armor
    -Energy and delay are fine to prevent spamming in lieu of aim
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    My ideal parasite:
    -Only removable by armory
    -Infinite life time
    -Tags structures until welded to full health/armor
    -Energy and delay are fine to prevent spamming in lieu of aim

I'd by happy with players having it removed by being fully welded as well. Means one lone player can't remove it, and a team have to switch weapons to do it giving you an attack chance.