i5 2.6GHz only brings 1.7GHz

iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members
Why is my Intel Core i5-750 Processor (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) capped to 1.7 GHz?
Any suggestions?
29eqcsh.png

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are a wide variety of power-saving "features" both in software and hardware. See if there is any of that you need to turn off. There might even be a switch on your motherboard.

If all else fails, overclock that baby.
  • gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is probalby the idle clock speed while the CPU is not under load.
    Run a program like IntelBurnTest to put some load on your CPU.
  • iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members
    If all else fails, overclock that baby.

I did that already, turned up the voltage from 1,25 V to 1,32 V.
    That is probalby the idle clock speed while the CPU is not under load.

I had NS2 open next to it and the values were the same.
  • gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Running NS2 is not the same as running programs like Prime95 or IntelBurnTest as those programs put the CPU under maximum load.
  • suttysutty Join Date: 2010-08-01 Member: 73403Members
    edited February 2013
    First thing you need to do is go to windows power options and enable high performance, then download a program called throttle stop and disable the C states - this should lock your CPU at its maximum non turbo state.

Alternatively if you know your way round the bios please enter it and turn off the C-States, Speedstep and also disable turbo. Then overclock your cpu, raising the voltage without the multiplier will not increase core mhz (see attached guide for overclocking your cpu)

http://www.overclock.net/t/605848/i5-i7-lga-1156-overclocking-guide-to-4ghz

Edit - I'm not sure how accurate TMonitor is either, use either the RealTemp or ThorttleStop to read the CPU frequency, both run at the highest priority and are much more accurate than programs such as CPU-Z.

• iums1iums1 Join Date: 2013-01-23 Member: 181370Members
    First thing you need to do is go to windows power options and enable high performance

Thx that helped. I'm now at 3.7GHz with ingame FPS value between 60 to 100. The guide for overclocking the cpu looks interesting too.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    iums1 wrote: »
    First thing you need to do is go to windows power options and enable high performance

Thx that helped. I'm now at 3.7GHz with ingame FPS value between 60 to 100. The guide for overclocking the cpu looks interesting too.

Just be careful when overclocking. Every motherboard is different. The best thing to do is google someone who has made a guide for your mobo, or find someone who has overclocked that same mobo + cpu combo. That's what I did with my Asrock Fatal1ty board and i7 2600k. It really helped having that guide because different companies call things different names in the BIOS.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
    Cody
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad you figured out the power saver thing. It's a dumb feature that should be turned off by default.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    actually, thats not completely true.
    If you leave the power safe features on, then any intel cpu with turbo boost will be able to utilise that option. You do need to enable C3 or better in the bios though.

Yes you can switch it all off and go for manual overclock, but a well configured pc can work just as fine with it on.
    My turboboost pushes my I7 2,8 to a 3+ without any hitches.

If your pc refuses to go into turbo when configured properly, or keeps below its maximum speed, you probably have a cooling issue.
    overclock can work in this regard, but I find it very unwise to overclock a poor cooled cpu to begin with.
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm wondering why it wasn't clocking itself up to begin with, since this may affect other players with socket 1156. Did your speed hit its maximum when running Prime95 etc. or was it still low even at 100% CPU utilization?