Idea for 6th lifeform for the Kharaa

MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
There's been chatter here and there about a possible 6th lifeform even Charlie himself mentioned that he could imagine adding some type of heavy flyer maybe (in one of the dev Q&A sessions don't remember which one) so without further due here's my idea for a possible 6th lifeform for the Kharaa.

Last month I played "System Shock 2" and had a blast with that and then I got to encounter this creature:
http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Psi_Reaver

Looking back now have made me 'all kinds of crazy' about the idea to add a psi-related lifeform to the kharaa I mean why not? we have the fade that can enter and exit BETWEEN PLANES OF EXISTENCE AT WILL so a lifeform with psi-capability wouldn't be completely out of the picture in my opinion.

Now I'll try to make it short as humanly possible so here's the details I have on my mind:

- Heavy flyer with a focus on deception and disruption

- Heavy flyer which 'floats' in the air rather flying like the lerk

- Medium amount of HP (something like 300 HP or so since we are talking about a slow floating lifeform)

- Left shift standard ability slot with a temporarily speed boost for 4 secs + while using this ability it'll create mirror copies of itself* confusing marines somewhat when it comes to targetting, energy cost should probably be more than the fade's shadow step to make it somewhat balanced on that part.

* check out this link for an example about the whole "creating mirrors of itself as it use this ability" like the high templars around the 0:35 mark:

- Left click standard attack should be a ranged attack, which fires a bolt of concentrated
psi energy dealing 40-50 damage* + blinding the marine for 2 secs with a horrific image (image of a hazy pile of screaming skulls, the van gogh scream painting or even a gorge with make-up it just needs to be in your face and make you go 'Whaa da ****?!'.

*Now I'm not entirely sure what kind of damage would be balanced but just throwing out some numbers here
(should probably cost 20-25 energy on use)

- Right click ability (2nd hive upgrade) Telekinetic pulls target towards yourself for 5 meters (only works on marines) with an energy cost of 70-75

Now as a 3rd hive upgrade I'm not sure what that should be but what I got on mind is either a psi ability that'll create 2 mirror copies of the lifeform itself circling around the player with 50% less HP than the actual player lasting 20 seconds OR
a psi ability that'll 'conjure' a psy blade entity for the player to go slice some marines/other stuff up.

Note: I don't 'feel' the need for a 6th lifeform but if there's going to be one eventually I would love to see some kind of psi-capable caster like lifeform for the kharaa as mentioned earlier since we have the 5 other lifeforms pretty much covering everything we could 'initially imagine' I guess.

Comments

• TheNewGuyTheNewGuy Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182990Members
    Morshu wrote: »
    There's been chatter here and there about a possible 6th lifeform even Charlie himself mentioned that he could imagine adding some type of heavy flyer maybe (in one of the dev Q&A sessions don't remember which one) so without further due here's my idea for a possible 6th lifeform for the Kharaa.

Last month I played "System Shock 2" and had a blast with that and then I got to encounter this creature:
    http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Psi_Reaver

Looking back now have made me 'all kinds of crazy' about the idea to add a psi-related lifeform to the kharaa I mean why not? we have the fade that can enter and exit BETWEEN PLANES OF EXISTENCE AT WILL so a lifeform with psi-capability wouldn't be completely out of the picture in my opinion.

Now I'll try to make it short as humanly possible so here's the details I have on my mind:

- Heavy flyer with a focus on deception and disruption

- Heavy flyer which 'floats' in the air rather flying like the lerk

- Medium amount of HP (something like 300 HP or so since we are talking about a slow floating lifeform)

- Left shift standard ability slot with a temporarily speed boost for 4 secs + while using this ability it'll create mirror copies of itself* confusing marines somewhat when it comes to targetting, energy cost should probably be more than the fade's shadow step to make it somewhat balanced on that part.

* check out this link for an example about the whole "creating mirrors of itself as it use this ability" around the 0:35 mark:

- Left click standard attack should be a ranged attack, which fires a bolt of concentrated
    psi energy dealing 40-50 damage* + blinding the marine for 2 secs with a horrific image (image of a hazy pile of screaming skulls, the van gogh scream painting or even a gorge with make-up it just needs to be in your face and make you go 'Whaa da ****?!'.

*Now I'm not entirely sure what kind of damage would be balanced but just throwing out some numbers here
    (should probably cost 20-25 energy on use)

- Right click ability (2nd hive upgrade) Telekinetic pulls target towards yourself for 5 meters (only works on marines) with an energy cost of 70-75

Now as a 3rd hive upgrade I'm not sure what that should be but what I got on mind is either a psi ability that'll create 2 mirror copies of the lifeform itself circling around the player with 50% less HP than the actual player lasting 20 seconds OR
    a psi ability that'll 'conjure' a psy blade entity for the player to go slice some marines/other stuff up.

Note: I don't 'feel' the need for a 6th lifeform but if there's going to be one eventually I would love to see some kind of psi-capable caster like lifeform for the kharaa as mentioned earlier since we have the 5 other lifeforms pretty much covering everything we could 'initially imagine' I guess.

Really? More ways for Marines to be blind?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    More than the blinding thing, I think people have enough of a problem with Stomp, that disables your character, there's no way people will go for being moved without their consent into a danger zone. Anything where the player loses control of their character is not going to end well. Especially if Aliens are the only ones getting these abilities.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Wait a moment, you suggest a new lifeform that hovars?
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think a third hive ability could be something less direct, maybe a hallucination ability similar to the shade. Something like 2 AI hallucination Onos that attack the nearest power node, something to trigger let one unit potentially trigger a beacon. It would be more in line with your idea of head games.

And for the standard left click maybe a really low damage ranged attack that makes the marine see a skulk running around at it's feet. So a trained marine would know oh I only took 5 damage and look for the floater, but unskilled players would start firing at nothing around their feet. It could also then be used to provide additional cover for an actual skulk attack. This might be over powered and probably hard to program but would make for some interesting team play.

I feel like if it is a Psi-unit it should be focused on support and encourage coordinated attacks.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    Calego wrote: »
    More than the blinding thing, I think people have enough of a problem with Stomp, that disables your character, there's no way people will go for being moved without their consent into a danger zone. Anything where the player loses control of their character is not going to end well. Especially if Aliens are the only ones getting these abilities.

I don't quite agree with this, look at the special infected from L4D and especially L4D2, they were designed to break up the group of survivors, and I think this really added a sense of fear of being alone and a sense of dependence on your team. The nature of the attacks (for most SI) made you vulnerable so they had to be timed right.

I've often thought that if they alien team had a way to separate a marine from the group it could add a nice bit of drama for both sides. But then again, i aint a game designer so I dunno if such things would work in the context of NS2, they are at least worth considering, it might be fun.
  • poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    What about an entity that costs 40 res, doesn't fly and can gain the ability of chambers (shift, craig, shade), it would need to find a chamber and press e or something. It can bite like the skulk but is less mobile and bigger, 300 HP and 200 armour. So if has shift ability it can teleport structures and it gives other aliens energy. If it has craig ability it heals in a radius and can expend pres to heal faster. If it has shade ability it cloakes structures and aliens around it and it can use ink and the comm can create hallucinations from this alien.

Just a thought.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Wait a moment, you suggest a new lifeform that hovars?
    Without flapping?