First Person Spectate in Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
    'contrast to the ruthlessly efficient league system of Starcraft 2, our game is an ancillary system desert, and we are developing plans to address this deficiency in the medium term.'

this is the sentence i am currently obsessing over...this could really help out player base.

and on the subject of FPS mode being made official, i am doing a celebratory dance naked wearing one black sock in front of the mirror. it is my happy dance. (the mirror is just to remind me how sexy i am).

thanks UWE for continuing to make this game truly awesome.

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    irEric wrote: »
    Yes i look forward to seeing Archeas first person view.

Just as a kind of an interesting slightly on topic note, I feel NS1 was one of the very few games that really managed to transmit the feeling of a good player through 1st person view. It's kind of like watching a good snooker or football (soccer) player play, you can feel how every little detail translates to that overall strong play and mastery over the sport or game.

I remember watching Mustang play NS1 and being slightly awestruck by the way his movement and aim seemed so easy and yet efficient. That kind of uncanny comfort is something you usually see only in physical sports and games, not in computer games.

I hope the NS2 first person manages to capture at least some of that feel.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Archea work well as a team, it won't look any different from other teams apart from the fact that their aim might be a bit better and they get the kills.

The 'Tane and Fana' pain train is successful because they probably have similar and unselfish playing styles and are successful because of this.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Warning: Spectating Fana in first person may cause motion sickness.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    transfering the input code to lua.
    that should mean the hotkey restrictions are lifted, right?
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Definitely wouldn't be surprised if HLTV worked the same way or whatever. Regarding official casters, I like Dota 2's answer to this... you can see official casts listed (top right of screen iirc), and on each casting stream, you can choose to:
    - Listen to one the casters
    - Watch from the perspective of one of the casters
    - Both of the above
    - or None of the above

This way, if a user wants to watch the game as the caster directs it, they still can, but they still have the freedom to move around etc. on their own. (even while still listening to the cast!)
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    "Natural Selection 2 is of course, like most video games, completely free of bugs"

Small typo there, missing "not" between "games" and "completely" but you're pretty damn close !
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Aaaah, the beauty of irony.
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    Venatos wrote: »
    transfering the input code to lua.
    that should mean the hotkey restrictions are lifted, right?

this was my first thought too! hopefully I will be able to play without having to manually rebind attack between alt and mouse1 every time i change weapons/lifeforms. also jump on mousewheel!