Extremely poor performance continues.

blujayblujay Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154277Members
Are there plans to improve this situation at all? All the models are insanely hi-poly, there are no variable shadow settings (maybe just environment shadows, no unit shadows?). Overall the game still feels broken, months later. I think the team needs to get the game to some professionals who know what they are doing. Absoloutely nothing has changed about my situation since I paid for this game, and I still can't play it. C2D @ 3.4 & GTX460 1Gb + 4Gb ram... Better games than this look and run smoother.

Comments

• HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    never had any issues running this game. even when I'm streaming.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Nothing big. Right now they are just trying to make it a little better each patch. I think they are focusing more on content since they have a small team.

I think your only option is just to get a new CPU or wait for Haswell to be honest.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nothing big. Right now they are just trying to make it a little better each patch. I think they are focusing more on content since they have a small team.

I think your only option is just to get a new CPU or wait for Haswell to be honest.
    New CPU doesnt mean you can run the game well (e.g. me)
    edited February 2013
    shonan wrote: »

When did I say it would run it well? In his case what is he suppose to do? The 460 is an alright card for this game. If he sets everything on low it will not bottleneck him much. He can probably even have a few things on high. If he gets a new CPU and OC's it past 4 GHz he will run the game BETTER than right now. Though running "well" is subjective to each person. Some people are fine with 30 frame rates and others want 60+.
    edited February 2013
    shonan wrote: »

When did I say it would run it well? In his case what is he suppose to do? The 460 is an alright card for this game. If he sets everything on low it will not bottleneck him much. He can probably even have a few things on high. If he gets a new CPU and OC's it past 4 GHz he will run the game BETTER than right now. Though running "well" is subjective to each person. Some people are fine with 30 frame rates and others want 60+.
    I know, just wanted to point out that he does have very valid points in there and the criticism is mostly valid.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    OP, you know most people don't get fps problems because of the graphics right? I have 2 friends, one with a GTX560 and an old 2.8ghz CPU, and one with a GTX260, but a newer 3.4ghz CPU. The one with the 260 can play at max settings without any fps issues, where as the one with the 560 can't get more than 15fps. Reducing the resolution (from 1920x1080 to 1280x720) does NOTHING to help him, he still gets 15fps, why? Because the GPU isn't struggling at all to render the game, it's because the CPU can't keep up with the poorly optimized engine. So adding more graphics settings to reduce shadows, poly's, infestation, appearances, isn't going to help. Especially not on your GTX460.

Either wait for the dev's to work out some efficiency for the engine, or do what everyone else has done and OC to over 4ghz. (I don't know how old the C2D is but maybe a newer type of CPU would help too).
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    OP, you know most people don't get fps problems because of the graphics right? I have 2 friends, one with a GTX560 and an old 2.8ghz CPU, and one with a GTX260, but a newer 3.4ghz CPU. The one with the 260 can play at max settings without any fps issues, where as the one with the 560 can't get more than 15fps. Reducing the resolution (from 1920x1080 to 1280x720) does NOTHING to help him, he still gets 15fps, why? Because the GPU isn't struggling at all to render the game, it's because the CPU can't keep up with the poorly optimized engine. So adding more graphics settings to reduce shadows, poly's, infestation, appearances, isn't going to help. Especially not on your GTX460.

Either wait for the dev's to work out some efficiency for the engine, or do what everyone else has done and OC to over 4ghz. (I don't know how old the C2D is but maybe a newer type of CPU would help too).
    It is going to help, because, you know, everything the GPU does goes first thru the rendering thread on the CPU.

Also I dont have problems with my graphics card, but still settings everything to lowest and reducing resolution helps.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't THINK (not positive) the rendering thread is the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the logic thread (partly because of the lua).
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    basics please.. basics.

* which windows and more importantly.. 32 or 64 bit?
    * what do r_stats 1 and net_stats 1 say on fps and choke?
    * which settings are you using?
    * does it say waiting on cpu or waiting on gpu?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't THINK (not positive) the rendering thread is the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the logic thread (partly because of the lua).
    For most people, its this. To check, turn on r_stats and look at the 'waiting for GPU' and 'waiting for render thread' lines.

If "waiting for GPU" is consistently >0ms = Your GPU is is the bottleneck
    If "waiting for render thread" is consistently >0ms = You either have multicore rendering off or for some reason you system is not letting NS2 use multiple threads
  • frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    For most people, its this. To check, turn on r_stats and look at the 'waiting for GPU' and 'waiting for render thread' lines.

If "waiting for render thread" is consistently >0ms = You either have multicore rendering off or for some reason you system is not letting NS2 use multiple threads

I have mutlicore ON and a i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, I still get waiting for render thread 1ms ~3ms.

if I go on my own server and spawn like 90 crags, and see r_stats 1 after the fps it says like this

FPS 120(30ms) whats that?

frallan123 wrote: »
    ScardyBob wrote: »

I have mutlicore ON and a i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, I still get waiting for render thread 1ms ~3ms.

if I go on my own server and spawn like 90 crags, and see r_stats 1 after the fps it says like this

FPS 120(30ms) whats that?

Yeah, multicore on here too, i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz and still I have consistently 0ms waiting for GPU but waiting for render thread is never 0ms, always above it. In main menu I have it around 5ms.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    waiting on render thread for 1-3ms is perfect. Lets think.. One of the 2 will always be faster then the other. Having them work 100% in sync, isnt happening in any game.
    1-3 seconds is a very good score in my opinion.

For me, spamming as much entities in a hive as possible pushes it to 3ms render thread. Well within acceptable limits.

When I have 100 fps, the ms behind it is like... 5, 10ms.
    If I spam a hive area and hover above it, this can crash to 25 fps with around 30 to 40 ms.

Not entirely sure what that ms means, but for me the game is very playable. (when do you ever spam that much in one area? never in real game)
    If I do not hover over such a insane area, fps restores to good numbers.

I cant even imagine why some of you report performance problems.. it should run perfect.
    waiting on render thread for 1-3ms is perfect. Lets think.. One of the 2 will always be faster then the other. Having them work 100% in sync, isnt happening in any game.
    1-3 seconds is a very good score in my opinion.

For me, spamming as much entities in a hive as possible pushes it to 3ms render thread. Well within acceptable limits.

When I have 100 fps, the ms behind it is like... 5, 10ms.
    If I spam a hive area and hover above it, this can crash to 25 fps with around 30 to 40 ms.

Not entirely sure what that ms means, but for me the game is very playable. (when do you ever spam that much in one area? never in real game)
    If I do not hover over such a insane area, fps restores to good numbers.

I cant even imagine why some of you report performance problems.. it should run perfect.

I believe it is the delay between frames to show microstuttering issues, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Game developing isnt that straightforward, some people have more issues than others and different people have different issues, PC is a very broad platform. Many games by smaller dev teams tend to have performance issues on launch that can be so bad it just drives the players away in the worst case.
    @shonan

you are probably right. I did mean that a pc with such specs should not experience any problems and thus we all need more data to see what the hell is going on.

Also I was thinking myself aswell its probably the delay between frames, but thats for the devs to confirm I guess
  • blujayblujay Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154277Members
    If I had known they had coded so much of this game in lua I would not have paid for it.

I'm a programmer.

It's very obviously a case of "write what works without even looking at the run-time".

edited February 2013
    If Sandy bridge architecture processors aren't wrecking this game hands down in all cases there is some very bad utilization going on behind the scenes. Go play Planetside 2 at 40-60fps and then come back here and tell me the devs are ready to be talking about porting to Mac. They NEED to get the source into the hands of a company that knows what they are doing. I haven't seen any real improvements since I paid for this game.

For the record, it isn't because of the LUA, it's because of how the LUA is implemented (probably). Although, arguably, LUA is still a piss poor choice and a stupid thing to do when you could just handle the same things in a not-retarded programming language and tell the people who don't know how to orient objects proper to go fuck themselves. I give them another year or so.
    While lua on its logic thread may be the cause of less performance then if they would write it in C++, I have to say I do not have a scrap of sympathy and pity for you blujay.

You give no information about what your specific performance problem is. You dont check r_stats, dont use the performance option, dont talk which settings you use.. IF you even tested anything, you did not inform the rest of us.

uwe has said multiple times they are infact working constantly on performance. A while back someone posted logs with a performance problem which in the end turned out to be a bug in precaching.
    A bug found & fixed, probably sooner, because people reported it.

If you are a programmer thats worse. You should appreciate a quality bug report yourself then, instead of a 'performance bad, go fix'.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    Let's not forget his processor is at the minimum required (albeit oc) for a game he now knows is processor reliant/heavy.

Blue Jay you're angry, you've given no info, and don't seem interested troubleshooting anything, so I guess I'll just state the typical : the game is constantly being optimized. There's some cool improvements coming down the line soon but to be honest, as long as you are sitting at the minimum requirement level with your 7 year old processor, you should only be able to "run the game" as would be the case for any other game's minimum requirement. Better performance comes with better hardware.

That being said, your hardware should be able to maintain 40 fps on average on a clean OS and with all settings to their lowest.
    edited February 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Let's not forget his processor is at the minimum required (albeit oc) for a game he now knows is processor reliant/heavy.

Actually his specs exceed the recommended:

Recommended:
    Processor:Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better

The only thing that bugs me is that by judging by some of the benchmarks from the thread I made, even the latest CPUs dip to the 30s/40s.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ah good point I stand corrected.
    Often forget how shallow those requirements are... would never recommend this game to someone with a core 2 duo. I don't think anyone would.

My point still stands regarding age of hardware though, despite those misleading requirements. (Also those refer to the stock 3 ghz processors I believe.)
    And plenty of people average 60 fps or better in that benchmark thread.
    The minimum/recommended specs need to be upped, add like 0.8ghz to both.
    edited February 2013
    Often forget how shallow those requirements are... would never recommend this game to someone with a core 2 duo. I don't think anyone would.

My point still stands regarding age of hardware though, despite those misleading requirements. (Also those refer to the stock 3 ghz processors I believe.)

Yes but the average is one thing. My issue is the dips throughout the game. All of those graphs have many dips below 60 fps. For example I Oced my cpu from 4.2 to 4.4 GHz to reach 60 fps average

2013-02-24 15:57:42 - NS2
    Frames: 82537 - Time: 1372730ms - Avg: 60.126 - Min: 34 - Max: 109

35j9e87.png

While I did reach the 60 fps average, I definitely dip below it. Especially in big fights.

In any case there is nothing to really do except wait.

edited March 2013

There is no practical reason a 3.4Ghz C2D shouldn't be able to run this ~32 player game. I get 45-60fps with no noticeable drops below 40's in BF3. A game with 64 players, way more going on, and much higher graphics reqs.

The only reason this game would be "processor heavy" is if you didn't big O evaluate your algorithms going in. There isn't enough going on to justify required Sandy Bride and above architecture. Period. No report I can supply will actually help if they aren't optimizing their algorithms in the first place. If they are going to sell a commercial product on STEAM they should meet their minimum requirements as advertised; or get bad BBB ratings and refund requests.

The only thing that bugs me is that by judging by some of the benchmarks from the thread I made, even the latest CPUs dip to the 30s/40s.

The hallmark of bad coding is that no matter how fast your processor is it's not going to matter as long as one functions gets stuck waiting for another one constantly. The. Game. Is. Poorly. Coded. End of story. If you want to throw a away a large portion of your sales, fine- that's a good way to do it. You want to know why League of Legends is so popular? because it's free first and foremost; but because it will run on almost any computer above all else.

I give them a few years, my patience, and my review to the community. If you don't like it, I don't care.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    blujay wrote: »
    There is no practical reason a 3.4Ghz C2D shouldn't be able to run this ~32 player game. I get 45-60fps with no noticeable drops below 40's in BF3. A game with 64 players, way more going on, and much higher graphics reqs.
    It sounds like the game does run on a 3.4GHz C2D, but not at the fps you desire? It would probably be useful if you benchmarked in the manner described in the Official Benchmark Thread. That'll help us identify if something strange is going on that is driving your fps below what you should be getting with those specs.
    graphics is not what is forcing the fps down for most people. Its the logics thread.
    I 'only' have a 2.8 i7 930. it goes to 3Ghz in turbomode.
    I can run in full hd, with most graphic options to full, just fine. stay around 60 fps which I find very playable. For people who desire more fps, then yes.. a better cpu would probably be needed.

Noone said this game can not use more optimized code for its logic thread. uwe has said multiple times they are always working on performance. But comparing this game to battlefield is bull.
    Few games track the amount of logic entities in combination with each other. its not a question of 200 entities. Its 200 working together, and depended on another. (far more then 200 ingame ofc)
    THAT is what slows the logic thread down most. Optimizing will surely help, but that is simply the main reason.
    Calculating what is in range of what + applying all the effects + the overlapping 'features' for both sides.. (like can not build on infestation, so marine buildings are also dependend on kharaa building logic)

If you go to a NS2 classic mod server, which is a mod which tries to run ns2 like it was ns1, you will have no cysts. less entities. People have reported massive fps gain there.

SO yes, they can and are optimizing. The posts stating so are everywhere.
    But no, comparing it to a game like battlefield with far less logic code completely depended on another is comparing apples and oranges.
  • madpainful10madpainful10 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183591Members
    When i first got the game, it would not start, so i restarted and logged off a few times(logged off of windows 7). It worked after that but now it shows i am palying it but it wont start. After a few seconds it says its Syncing. Any Help? I some tiems use itunes but i dont think that would be a problem. I love the game and i would greatly appreicate some help. I also dont know much about computers but if anyone who has or had the same problem could help me, i would love that. Thanks
    steam syncs the config files to the cloud every time the game closes.
    So thats unrelated.

Do you get any errors? What are your specs? (try to look at the sticky topics and run dxdiag)
  • madpainful10madpainful10 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183591Members
    I have really nice computer parts. I have a i3770k 4 core and a nividia 680 gtx
    it just doesnt launch and it pulls the little sqare up and says launching then automatically closes and says syncing by the games name. I only worked the first time i played iot
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    edited March 2013
    i have a similar rig to you op.

q9550 but at 4.0ghz instead of 3.4 and a gtx 260. the game is totally cpu bottlenecked. if the alien team is winning, my fps by mid game is already barely 30 fps, everything on low and resolution o 1280x960 (never had to play any other PC game ever on such low settings). rstats shows "waiting for gpu" always at 0.

by end game my fps is sub 25. just by standing in the marine base with no action yesterday i had 21 fps, just because the map is dominated by aliens of screen. i start of the game being near the top kills wise, later on i can't kill anything.

i've complained many times here, but theres no use, the engine is just shit. nothing they do will fix it. upgrade or move on. since i live in shitty croatia, can't afford an upgrade atm, so im gonna enjoy the new update for a few days then move on. I just can't play a game seriously, where my skill doens't matter for half the match. end game, i pretty muc either have to be onos or i just weld exos. evertything else is imposible at sub 25fps.
This discussion has been closed.