Vegas or Chicago?

deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
I'm looking into getting a server from NS2servers, but I'm on the fence on server location. I live in Vegas so that works great for me, but I notice a lot of the Vegas servers are usually empty. I am unsure of the way data is routed, but is Chicago just a better choice for people on the west coast/central? I don't want the thing to be empty all the time so I'm just curious if some people with more knowledge on the matter could chime in. Thanks!

Comments

• naXynaXy Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64618Members
    all their servers rubberband like crazy no idea why tho, i wouldn't suggest ns2servers
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    dallas is ideal, but chicago tends to be more common, especially for competition.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Hmm, I thought their servers were the better ones. Who would you recommend? I thought about Dallas, but they don't offer that location. If there is a better option that has Dallas then I'm all ears!
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    our servers (not from ns2servers) for gathers and matches in NA are located in chicago and they run smooth ;)
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Dallas is the best hub. If possible Look into server hosting there for best all around pings for everyone in the contiental united states (and actually mexico gets good pings too.)
    edited February 2013
    So for a TX located server, which would you recommend from the following?

Jest Servers
    Blue Fang Solutions
    Multiplay

I was kind of set on a server from NS2servers so now I don't know what to do lol
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd stick with NS2servers if you want a public server that can handle over 20 players smoothly. If your just looking for a private scrim server with good ping then I'd go with
    - A Chicago or Dallas server if you don't plan on doing many scrims vs EU clans
    - An east coast server if you do plan on scrimming EU clans
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    naXy wrote: »
    all their servers rubberband like crazy no idea why tho, i wouldn't suggest ns2servers

We host the top tier NS2 servers - I have not heard of anyone complaining about any rubberbanding from any of our customers.

There is a reason why the most popular NS2 servers (KKG, TBG, and Mavicks Pub) are hosted with us as we provide the highest quality hardware (overclocked servers you can't find anywhere else) to provide the best possible performance.

If you are looking for a >20 slot NS2 server then you really can't go wrong by getting the highest quality servers from NS2servers.com. Below that and you really don't need the overclocked performance that we provide. So it really depends on what you are looking at doing to determine which host would be the best for you.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I'd stick with NS2servers if you want a public server that can handle over 20 players smoothly. If your just looking for a private scrim server with good ping then I'd go with
    - A Chicago or Dallas server if you don't plan on doing many scrims vs EU clans
    - An east coast server if you do plan on scrimming EU clans

you can use the ensl east coast servers for scriming. no reason to buy expensiv stuff for nothing ;)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We have a vegas server that's hosted by NS2servers, and I love it. I ping better to it than I do any other servers, west or central. I live near San Francisco.

Our server is empty approximately 100% of the time, but that might have to do with not being an over-sized server.
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I'm going to go with a Chicago server from NS2servers. I just need to convince the wife now :)
  • Eric_JediEric_Jedi Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69567Members
    I can also vouch for ns2servers... Jedi's loft is hosted by them, 20 slots right now (21 for the reserved) and it runs pretty smooth for us. So If you want a public 20 and up, they are worth it.
    I now have a Chicago based 20 slot server from ns2servers! Chris "Tempest" provided some top notch support and got it running in an amazingly short time. Everything about the experience has been smooth. The server info is in my sig, come check us out :)