How do i make vents invisible / not buildable by the comm?

draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
Title, i have a vent running over the top of a room but you can drop a cyst or two in it, and it's kinda just there on your screen as a comm. How do i make this not possible?

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    You can assign your geometry to a group called CommanderInvisible (you have to make this group yourself first). For props, set the Commander Alpha to 0. Then the commander can't see these areas and drop structures in them.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    You can also add it to the CommanderNoBuild group, but this will leave the vent to be visible in the commview. And if you add the vent to the vent layer in order to make it yellow on the minimap, remember that adding the geometry to the CommanderInvisible group will cause the vent to be no part of the minimap. So you have to add it later or remove it temporarily from the group if you want to make a minimap.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Sometimes if you run a vent over a section of the map, it hinders his view of the room though. Is it best to leave that one invis or should I make it comm no build and suck it up?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could you not make the entrances to the vents yellow so they are easier to be found but invisible to the commander?
    I think i could actually, thanks for the idea!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    draktok wrote: »
    Sometimes if you run a vent over a section of the map, it hinders his view of the room though. Is it best to leave that one invis or should I make it comm no build and suck it up?

One option is to make absolutely everything but the vent's floor CommanderInvisible, so the commander can still see the vent, but the visibility of the area below is at a maximum.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I would be tempted to try splitting the floor of the vent into 3 pieces. Two thin strips on the edges and one big piece between them. Then make the edges CommanderNoBuild and make the big center piece CommanderInvisible. That way the comm can see the edges of the vent to know where it is at without it obscuring much view at all. And if you are lucky the thin bits in the CommanderNoBuild group will cause the vent's outline to be rendered in the minimap.

Of course that might just confuse the commander and get in his way trying to click on things underneath the vent. Probably best to just make it entirely invisible to comm.
    Does comm invis still correctly display on the minimap to regular players?
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    CommamderInvisible is not rendered on the minimap.