Gamma not being adjustable in the menu only hurts new players.

JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
NS2's base visibility is poor. The game requires people to turn everything to low, and to jack up their gamma settings to effectively see things like skulks in darker areas. However, NS2 does not allow players to change gamma in the game itself. Rather, it forces people to go into their video settings (NVIDIA settings/ATI tuner settings), and turn up their global gamma settings as a work around.

Your average player who would otherwise turn up their gamma settings in game, is generally not aware that you can do so via basic video card settings. Allowing people to adjust gamma in the main NS2 settings (like almost every other FPS game in existence) would be a small, but noticable bump to average players who are otherwise ignorant of simple tweaks they can do to improve their game.

Good players already know how to adjust their gamma, so this thread is irrelevant to them. The focus is purely on making things more accessible for new players.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it depends on the quality of monitor. No adjustments to gamma were needed on my end.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I think it depends on the quality of monitor. No adjustments to gamma were needed on my end.

Even with a BenQ gaming monitor, the need to bump up gamma high is a real one. The game is simply too dark to play otherwise. The default "darkness" of the game before turning off most of the extra effects + jacking up your gamma likely contributes quite a bit to the overall ineptness of the average marine player. Having an option like gamma being one that you have to tweak out of game is just overly harsh on people who don't know any better.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    If you have problems seeing people on minimal settings, your eyes probably just suck.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BenQ monitor just needs to turn on the "Black equalizer" setting. I have my monitor on the lowest brightness setting possible (to stop my eyeballs from catching on fire), and that black equalizer really makes a difference. I don't have to adjust gamma for any games now. Nice, clean display with soft lighting and good contrast.

But I guess I just proved your point, a newbie probably won't have a BenQ or know how to adjust their monitor/graphics card correctly.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    If you have problems seeing people on minimal settings, your eyes probably just suck.
    it's more likely that you are just not very good and don't realize the difference having better visibility makes
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I'm colorblind, and the colors brown and orange blend together for me. I'm a big time sufferer of not being able to see things sometimes. However when a skulk is on a metallic surface he's generally boned. Anyway, this would be a fantastic thing to add. My monitor displays mostly fine, but I don't like having to adjust global settings for a single game.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Just to be clear - are we talking about fully powered, marine controlled areas, or areas in which power has been destroyed and the red emergency lighting is on? The emergency lighting isn't supposed to be as bad as the pitch black darkness it eventually fills in for, but it's still not exactly supposed to be very bright.

Considering how many posts I've seen asking for more dark areas to play in this thread feels a little off.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    No need to change anything on any of my monitors here. The only time I have issues seeing things is when I'm in an unpowered room...but that's kind of the point, isnt it?
    edited February 2013
    IAMKING wrote: »
    it's more likely that you are just not very good and don't realize the difference having better visibility makes
    Here's a screenshot of similar settings to what I used in Return to Castle Wolfenstein when I was playing in CAL-I.
    dm6RzVD.jpg

fixed image.

edit:
    r_mapoverbrightbits 4
    r_overbrightbits 4
    r_rmse 70
    cg_drawgun 0
    r_dynamiclight 0
    r_vertexlighting 1
    so what point do you have besides trying to brag about playing competitively years ago in a game nobody gives a shit about? what does this have to do with the topic?
    You stated that I didn't understand that high visibility is a good thing.

I'm stating that I have no visibility issues with skulks, they tend to be in/around leaping range most of the time.
    If you have everything on the lowest settings, the only time you don't see them is when they're using camo.
    no, it's pretty dark for a lot of people without being able to adjust gamma
    edited February 2013
    Learn how to adjust your monitor settings?
    Every monitor is different.

I used to have a monitor that looked the best at 100 contrast, and 25 brightness.

If you set your monitor settings at a good spot, chances are you won't have to use in game gamma on most games, which renders requests for an in game gamma for NS2 moot.
    why not just have gamma settings in game?

all you're doing is hurting newbs more than is necessary
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Its fine...as a marine you should struggle to pick skulks in darkened areas...you could always go and get fluro skulks if your struggling that much.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited February 2013
    IAMKING wrote: »
    why not just have gamma settings in game?

all you're doing is hurting newbs more than is necessary

If they don't know how to adjust their monitor settings, they're probably too dumb to understand NS2.

hakenspit wrote: »
    Its fine...as a marine you should struggle to pick skulks in darkened areas...you could always go and get fluro skulks if your struggling that much.

The point of this thread is simple. Changing gamma is legal (via system options). Most people are not aware of that, and generally don't go any further than the NS2 settings menu. Letting people change this in the settings menu would help new players.

You know what help newer players?
    Suggesting they play on the lowest graphical settings possible.

Most new people that play this game, play it for the eye candy.
    You know what help newer players?
    Suggesting they play on the lowest graphical settings possible.

Most new people that play this game, play it for the eye candy.

Are you seriously arguing against adding in an extra setting that only helps new players? A setting that experienced players already change because they know about it?

I'm really confused as to why you would argue against this. What benefit is gained from keeping the gamma setting out of the menu exactly?
    The people who are going to adjust it, already do, or they're smart enough to figure it out for themselves.

There are more important issues than adding in a gamma adjuster.

New players are gonna get raged on, regardless of the settings they use.
    The people who are going to adjust it, already do, or they're smart enough to figure it out for themselves.

There are more important issues than adding in a gamma adjuster.

New players are gonna get raged on, regardless of the settings they use.

We're talking about a trivial issue that'd take no more than an hour or two of dev time to implement effectively.

edited February 2013
    Can you code?
    Nothing is trivial, except for really basic shit.

Anything to do with graphics is more complicated than you'd think.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    frothybeverage you are the king of contrarian pointless posts
    every monitor I have used to date at 100% brightness & gamma only brings it to "acceptable" brightness. not all users can nor should they be expected to edit through their video card panels or worse, third-party programs such as PowerStrip.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Not getting how this helps new players. The games not that dark. If they have a monitor issue, shouldn't they be modifying their machines video settings? So it effect every game?

Most new players don't even look at a tutorial, why do you expect them to immediately up gamma? If it's because skulks can hide in dark corners, that's intended.

OP, it seems like you want a gamma bar for yourself and you're trying to justify it with new players. Anything for an edge?
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Ciro wrote: »
    OP, it seems like you want a gamma bar for yourself and you're trying to justify it with new players. Anything for an edge?
    wow
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    Adding in a Gamma slider isn't directly "helping" new players.

You assume every new player will want to or even realize that turning up the gamma would give them a slight "advantage".

The base gamma/brightness of the game is intentional and made so through great lengths. Not saying adjusting gamma is "wrong" but assuming it will help new players and that everyone wants to up their gamma is defiantly not the way to go about arguing for this change.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Hey, I've got an idea. Why doesn't UWE just ship the game with the gamma preset to the max? That'll save EVERYONE so much time and trouble.

Sheesh.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Yeah because gamma/brightness aren't standard shipped features of 99% of FPS games, did Bethesda help dev NS2 or what.

Powerstrip doesn't exist like it used to, sweetfx/RadeonPro/Inspector can only adjust what is rendered already, monitor only changes what is already rendered, in game gamma/brightness would at least take half the pain out of losing track of skulks jumping in between 5 different light sources in a room of 20-30 light sources because each one changes the shade and sharpness of how visible something is.

I don't understand why when people ask for immersion by the truckload it's given but people ask to tone shit back so they can get back to the core of this game, seeing aliens and shooting them, it's met with total resistance of the thought of people being able to see things easier/clearer. There is a massive difference between aliens using cover of hard objects breaking line of sight and concealment of sitting in darker corners/hard to see areas/objects that obscure them, right now aliens have the best of both worlds.
    edited February 2013
    *I need to learn to be nice*
This discussion has been closed.