Display driver crashing randomly in menus and in-game

AyodonAyodon Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183577Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey all,

After build 239 and CCC update to 13.1 My display driver crashes randomly in-game disconnecting my monitor and forcing me to hard restart my PC
I managed to run the f=game by setting it to windowed and 800x600 resolution. I then tried turning the res up in increments and it crashed again at 1366x768
I've been having issues rolling back my driver to previous versions. Windows says there is no driver to roll back to
And trying to install CCC 12.10, the last version the game ran perfectly on has not worked either
When I try uninstalling my current version of CCC it prompts me to re-start my PC. Would doing so result in me having no display with which to install a previous Catalyst version?
And is there any known work around to this issue?
I've verified the cache and done a clean install already

Also, I've attached my dxdiag and map log data

Comments

• DrArrogantoDrArroganto Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183664Members
    Try starting in safemode to install your older CCC. F8 as windows is booting up.

If you have a software overclock on your video card, roll it back to stock and see if that helps. Also I would try running something like furmark to stress the GPU and make sure that it's not your hardware dying. Crashing drivers can be an early sign.

your log.txt says "Error: IDirect3DDevice9::Reset to 1280x800 failed (Device lost)" was that log from running at a 800x600 resolution?

OCforums had a post on removing CCC completely to do a roll back.
  • AyodonAyodon Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183577Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The log is from when I was running 800x600 and bumped it up incrementally to 1366x768 and the game crashed.

I'll try those out and report back. Thanks :)
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Install the latest drivers, they are not 13.1
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »

He's talking about the version of CCC he's running. That's not his driver version.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »

He's talking about the version of CCC he's running. That's not his driver version.

Well theres a newer version available for both anyway
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im worried about:
    Error: SoundSystem::GetDeviceByGuid - failed to find device by GUID
    Error: SoundSystem::Initialize - failed to set number of FMOD channels
    Error: SoundSystem::GetDeviceByGuid - failed to find device by GUID

I am asuming here, but I asume it wants to get the id from your actual hardware. hardware has a vendor and device id which can be coupled to drivers.
    its complaining about sound, but new vidcards have sound options so yes.. I would point that way.

I would start be doing a complete driver remove on your vidcard. If its ATI, deinstall. Pull the latest version from the site and install.
    Ati used to need framework to run CCC, and I do not expect that to be different now, so see if it is also updated.

Definately check windows event viewer for more errors regarding vid card.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's with all the "Warning: Build did not define kTechIdToMaterialOffset " right before the end? Seems like something that would cause a crash if it's trying to access a variable that doesn't exist...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    dunno.. but such errors I see in every game I played, and I do mean games other then ns
    Quick update,
    With the last couple builds the crashes have still continued. I've tried installing older versions of CCC with no success and the new beta drivers 13.3 crash as well
    I'm fairly certain it's a rendering issue, having the same problem previously with Skyrim that was fixed by updates to my drivers.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You never reported back your findings on the advice of the many posts in here?
    There's been many suggestions, which ones did you try?