Would numbering phase gates be an easy mod?

Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Haven't really looked much into NS2 modding, so I was wondering if the engine would support changing the phase gate icons on the map into something like 1, 2, 3, etc. Seems like it would be fairly simple to do but I'm not sure if the engine can apply a specific icon/texture on the map to an individual phase gate. Thanks for any info you guys can provide! :)

Comments

• RioRio Join Date: 2005-01-28 Member: 38716Members
    edited March 2013
    Not that hard. One of the last updates added drawing lines between the phase gates, so you can hook into that and just draw a number next to the phase gates.
    The class for that is GUIMinimapConnection and there's a local function in GUIMinimap.lua called UpdateConnections, which updates the lines. As you can't hook into a local function, you probably want to hook the GUIMinimap:Update method and call a new function which updates the numbers of the GUIMinimapConnection. You can finally hook into GUIMinimapConnection:Render to draw the numbers.
  • Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thanks, Rio. I'm going to look into that. The lines were a big improvement, practically don't even feel the need to number the PGs now but it would be a good modding exercise sometime. :)