Thoughts on Descent

2»

Comments

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The updates to descent fix all the RT problems, as far as I can tell. The map still seems very heavily marine biased though... I've never lost that map as marines.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The updates to descent fix all the RT problems, as far as I can tell. The map still seems very heavily marine biased though... I've never lost that map as marines.

ns2stats shows out of 240 games played descent shows almost an exact 50/50 win rate in public play. Sure that's a rather small sample but its far from a 100% marine victory map.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Savant wrote: »
    I've already let the mapper know my thoughts on how I liked the way he added all kinds of doors and airlocks etc to give the map the feeling of being something bigger. This is something that is missing in other maps. However, there was one thing I have noticed since then that kinda stands out more as I play it. The map is clean - too clean. I would think in a station that's been overrun there would be more 'disorder'. Still a great map though.

That's because you don't understand the fluff behind Kharaa biology,

They exist peacefully as an organic mass of bacteria until provoked from other sources, only then do they create alien dogs to tear peoples faces off.

Then you would predictably ask " surely when Kharaa infested the station, there was conflict i.e. "disorder" and battle scars left upon the station, but that further falls on a misunderstanding of the fluff behind how the TSA handles infestation.

They evacuate any facilities immediately at the first sign of Kharaa presence, i.e. You have perfectly clean untouched space stations, from which then the marines are sent in to rid themselves of the Kharaa threat.

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    lamb wrote: »
    I personally hate it, really hate it.

Can you give any examples of why?

• RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    edited March 2013
    @RadimaX @lamb

Holding Hydro is far to powerful due to the locations of the res nodes. So you have the standard 4 tech + 1 centre + 4 diagonal res layout.
    Holding any combination of 2 adjacent tech points does not give you an even remotely safe res node. Hydro is essentially a double res-node and there is no "north east" res node. South East res node is a very long walk from both adjacent tech points thus easily harassable by holding hydro.

This is expanded even further if you manage to take 3 of the outside tech points, as Hydro can still out harass all not-tech resource locations.

Comparing it to Summit you notice a significant difference in travel-time and structure of the secondary routes to the additional resource locations.

All that said, it is an extremely fun map to play as marines can easilly arc aliens out of hydro despite these issues - and aliens can easily out harass marines economy due to speed. Although it does feel a bit "cluttered" from a marine fps perspective and hard to get clear shots on aliens in almost all rooms.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The only really important question is: Where is the secret room entrance? :) I can't see it in spectator mode.