So many aimbotters

Comments

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    GORGEous wrote: »
    Every time I see a hack video, it's always CPL Garroway. That guy is obviously using an aimbot of some kind and both videos posted here show blatant use of this. Any time his crosshair gets near a skulk, it snaps to it and he shoots 50-100% accuracy.
    It's quite clearly aimbotting in addition to wallhacking, and I'm surprised that other people think he's "definitely not" aimbotting.

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Outright denying hacking is naive and shows your inexperience.
    Any semi-decent hacker can fly under the radar.
    Is there any consistency checking in ns2 yet?
    edited March 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Still: this type of things is extremely rare and we shouldn't exaggerate the current state of play. YES absolutely it needs to be monitored and counter-measures put in place, but scaremongering on the forums is probably not the right way to go about it.
    It isn't my intention, at least, to make people paranoid. To the rookies and average players: the vast, vast majority of people who dominate you in this game - especially if they're from a top-tier clan like Nexzil, Archaea, All-In, etc. - are just really, really good. And please remember that score is never a valid indicator of cheating. And also remember that if you think you're hiding, you might not be (either someone saw you go there, or you are in the range of an observatory, or it's a common hiding place that's commonly checked, or you appeared on their minimap, etc.). And also note that many people check behind them frequently, especially if they know you've gone shade. And so on.

That said, while most of the videos show this one player hacking, that's because he's the only guy who has been prominently recorded since the introduction of first-person spectating. I've had the misfortune of dealing with a few other players using these hacks, and they seem to be on the rise.

Yes, this comes after a relatively peaceful, seemingly hack-free experience for quite some time. It's worth talking about. Even if we get a "there's not much we can do about it with our current resources, but we're well aware that there's an issue" from the developers, it'll be worthwhile.

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Every time I see a hack video, it's always CPL Garroway. That guy is obviously using an aimbot of some kind and both videos posted here show blatant use of this. Any time his crosshair gets near a skulk, it snaps to it and he shoots 50-100% accuracy.
    It's quite clearly aimbotting in addition to wallhacking, and I'm surprised that other people think he's "definitely not" aimbotting.

Yeah, other people are wrong. It's blatant.

Yes, Kalabalana. There is consistency checking, but it only checks lua files (and a few others) by default. People can use neon skulks, white wall, transparent wall (wall hacks), and some other creative use of shaders to gain massive advantages or downright cheat.

That's why many servers (KKG, HBZ, every competitive server, etc) run some form of enhanced consistency checks that check many other files (including .models, .fx, cinematics, sound files, etc). By checking these other files, these servers force consistency among the game's most important art assets to stop workshop cheating via neon skulks/whitewalls/clear walls. It will not stop your standard third party aimbot. The only defense against real hack aimbots is VAC and the promise of a steam ban if caught. These aren't really defenses, though.

• ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

The second video is obvious aimbotting, but the first video of him was some really shitty aimbotting if it was. Hell I'm more accurate than that. Maybe he improved the snapping since then..
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I believe the OP is getting aimbotters confused with nerds.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    It looked pretty blatant in the first one too, imo. Though I would only become suspect with such a small sample. I think the second, longer clip, removes 99% of my doubt.

Tracking like this is suspect even with a wall hack, but it could be done by a good player on a good day.

youtu.be/bK68wbulmj0?t=53s

Then in the 15s after that, he permanently tracks a skulk for about 20 seconds through walls. If he wasn't aimbotting and was just a very good player with a wallhack, then he wouldn't be tracking through walls. He'd understand that there was a wall there and wait to begin his perfect tracking for when he actually had LOS.

On actual topic, I don't think this is very common, nor is it a huge problem. I'd obviously like to see these guys banned, though. In my 1100 hours of NS2, I have never seen a player that I suspected of aimbotting.
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    edited March 2013
    his aim looks pretty smooth, doesn't look natural to me but he could still be "in the zone" and i'm not "dedicated" enough nowadays to really judge that tbh.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Robotix wrote: »
    This is what an aimbotter looks like:

No snapping, far too much missing.
    For an aimbot that is.

As someone who has aimbotted/wallhacked/esp/etc/etc/etc in multiple games, I can confirm that he is hacking.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited March 2013
    Neoken wrote: »

For an aimbot that is.

Watch what he does at 0:49. His aim snaps to the wall, tracking the skulk through the wall and into his sight.

What's going down at 0:11 then? He is shooting within a few pixels of the incoming skulk, but is clearly missing, and does so a few times.

I would think that aimbotting is a situation where every "snap" doesn't conclusively prove anything, but every miss is pretty much proof that it isn't an aimbot.

Watching the other video posted, the movement does seem unnatural, but I never really see any what I would call "snapping", but maybe I don't know what to look for. I don't think I've ever seen a non obvious aimbot in action before. The only ones I've seen literally snap like 500+ pixels over to a target.

• StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    That's pretty obvious aimbotting and wallhacking. Anyone who thinks you can have superhuman reflexes and track a dodging skulk that fast doesn't know what very good players are actually capable of. Hint: nowhere close to those videos.

Even the best players take a short while to readapt their tracking on an erratic target. This guy clearly has no issues with that, and does it very quickly, in addition to tracking skulks behind walls.

Keep in mind first-person spec in this game is kinda laggy. His aim may not look perfect, but it's only because the view angle is updated at around 10 times per second. If it was updated faster, say 30 times, it would be even more obvious.
    Neoken wrote: »

For an aimbot that is.

Watch what he does at 0:49. His aim snaps to the wall, tracking the skulk through the wall and into his sight.

What's going down at 0:11 then? He is shooting within a few pixels of the incoming skulk, but is clearly missing, and does so a few times.

I would think that aimbotting is a situation where every "snap" doesn't conclusively prove anything, but every miss is pretty much proof that it isn't an aimbot.

There could be a ton of factors contributing to a miss especially for a game like NS2 that doesn't have a dedicated aimbot/hacking scene like larger games do. As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. I honestly can't fathom why they don't just ban you from these forums. The hacking in the video is so fucking blatant it hurts.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited March 2013
    If I were writing an aimbot and didn't want to get caught, I would purposely make it "randomly miss" around the target every so often, probably based on changes in target movement. I don't think you can rule out aimbot just because they missed.

That said, I have only once or twice seemed someone that was questionably aimbotting. The rest of the time, I realize that they are just *much* better than me. In those scenarios, I have to go to a different server as it is not fun.

For an aimbot that is.

As someone who has aimbotted/wallhacked/esp/etc/etc/etc in multiple games, I can confirm that he is hacking.

Why would you tell us that. Lol.
    Those of us who've excelled without using such infantile crutches may develop a negative bias of you.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's a different video of the same dude on the second page. Whoever thinks that he ISN'T cheating is either trolling or stupid as hell, either way you may as well ignore them.

Yes, there are cheaters in NS2. But making it sound like it's currently a big problem is just as stupid as saying they don't exist at all. "On nearly every server"... Yeah right.
    The OP is overstated, for sure. Even so, this is more of a problem now than it was a month ago.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    well, the best aimer in the game is hands down BIGTICKET, in any region.

you could flag potential cheaters pretty easily by comparing his accuracy as a baseline to other players' accuracy
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    It looked pretty blatant in the first one too, imo. Though I would only become suspect with such a small sample. I think the second, longer clip, removes 99% of my doubt.

Tracking like this is suspect even with a wall hack, but it could be done by a good player on a good day.

youtu.be/bK68wbulmj0?t=53s

Then in the 15s after that, he permanently tracks a skulk for about 20 seconds through walls. If he wasn't aimbotting and was just a very good player with a wallhack, then he wouldn't be tracking through walls. He'd understand that there was a wall there and wait to begin his perfect tracking for when he actually had LOS.

On actual topic, I don't think this is very common, nor is it a huge problem. I'd obviously like to see these guys banned, though. In my 1100 hours of NS2, I have never seen a player that I suspected of aimbotting.

This was the point I was trying to make earlier. I have a video of an aimbotter like this one, who would do the same thing, he would fire perfectly at a skulk coming around a corner that was in mid air at the time (or had come off the ceiling). Basically an impossible shot to hit on your first couple shots. Not only that, but the first person spec couldn't even track his movements. The fire looked like it was missing, but it was actually hitting (you could see the green splatter). I have another example where he came into a room around a corner with his pistol out, and a lerk was flying parallel to him but from low up to the ceiling (starting from the left side of his screen moving right and gaining vertical momentum), and he hit all 10 pistol shots into the lerk. I have never seen anyone do that. Even the first person spec couldn't follow properly and lagged behind, but every single bullet he shot created a green splat. So the first person spec isn't very good in showing off these things.

Basically from what I've seen, aimbotters use a wallhack that turn other players a certain colour that does not exist in game. So all enemy players are either blue or red, and can be seen through walls. And then they use a pixel / color tracking aimbot to snap their view to that color. This can be turned off and on, and it's why it sometimes looks like they aren't an aimbot, because they are just shooting normally, but then other times they are tracking _through walls_, which you can obviously see by watching their radar and their first person view, and knowing a bit about the game and why their tracking is so obviously impossible.

These do exist but it is very rare, and so risky for them since I believe VAC eventually gets to them. Most don't make the bot themselves, they are using premade ones. When you're in the game against these guys though, you really know. It's not that "damn he got me again, he's so good". These people are killing you literally the second you come around the corner at impossible angles from so far away that you can barely see them. You really know the difference between a good player and these guys, because even good players can't even come close to killing you this quickly.
    IAMKING wrote: »

you could flag potential cheaters pretty easily by comparing his accuracy as a baseline to other players' accuracy

Is that your in-game nickname or something? Lol, there is no singular best accuracy rine in the game, and if there is, I'm sure it's one of the known top players.? Or is this guy new to the game? Or euro/west?
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    The problem isn't just that a few people are using hacks to cheat. The fact that there isn't a strong system in place to address these cheaters can translate into a community of hyper accusations of any player who happens to excel.
    Accusations have always existed but having evidence like this exacerbates the issue. This is the reason so many do their best to deny and/or downplay the existence of hacks. If the game can't prevent it, then paranoia can spread.
    Kalabalana wrote: »

For an aimbot that is.

Those of us who've excelled without using such infantile crutches may develop a negative bias of you.

It wasn't a crutch, I did it because it was fucking hilarious. I also don't care what any of you think.

For an aimbot that is.

I also don't care what any of you think.

It must be true, just look at his avatar.
    This guy is edgy as hell.

• IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    IAMKING wrote: »

Is that your in-game nickname or something? Lol, there is no singular best accuracy rine in the game, and if there is, I'm sure it's one of the known top players.? Or is this guy new to the game? Or euro/west?
    nah, my framerate isn't high enough to be the most accurate even if i wanted

u can play w/bigticket anytime, he'd ticket u prty hard

u also have to remember that there are a lot of talented fps players out there, and many of them don't want to play comp for a variety of reasons

For an aimbot that is.

You should look at my Steam profile. It's super edgy.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited March 2013
    @Robotix: also note the 'dodgy' bit at 55 seconds - you can see the red dot on the radar of the skulk about to come out of cargo. Every time you think 'whaaaaat...' - replay it and see if he's just very good at using the minimap.

Wallhacking: probably. Especially in the second video. Aimbot? Meh.

In fact, definitely wall hacking. The second vid shows this much, much more clearly than the first IMO.

Still: this type of things is extremely rare and we shouldn't exaggerate the current state of play. YES absolutely it needs to be monitored and counter-measures put in place, but scaremongering on the forums is probably not the right way to go about it.

You are wrong. The second Vid shows much that he is using an aimbot. U can see that this aimbot is working through the wall. It looks like that this aimbot is continuously tracing the enemy, doesent matter if the victim is visible or not. Maybe that user have just to press the firebutton in the right moment. It is questionable that he is wallhacking, and clearly that he is aimbotting.

@SixtyWattMan:
    You are brashly impertinent dude :/ .

There's really no need for personal insults guys.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited March 2013
    Seriously. What did u expect? To say "I am a cheater" in a gamer-community is like saying "I have rape some childrens" in a prison. Not a smart move. Both "communitys" arent amused of your confession and gonna hate you. But u say u dont care of it. So its fine...
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    People complain about hackers all the time, it's doesn't seem that bad too me. I doubt i've seen one in game (the videos of that one guy do look *really* hacky though).

If you think NS2 hacking is bad you should go an play DayZ for a while; getting randomly thrown in to air; getting teleported to the thunderdome; having hundreds of animals fall from the sky; having nukes blow up cities you're in; having gaggles of priest appear out of nowhere, it can be hard to avoid hackers at times. DayZ has also done quite well, despite the huge amount of hackers in it so i'm not too worried that the small amount of hackers in NS2 are gonna greatly effect it player-base/playability.

Obviously, haxing is something that needs to be addressed (and i presume is being). Don't get too bent outta shape about it just yet, it's not hard to find a server (for me in the UK at least) without hackers on it. Cheating in games will always exists, but the current level of cheating seems like an acceptable minority to me.

For an aimbot that is.

You should look at my Steam profile. It's super edgy.

Linkin Park's got nothing on you

• LopezLopez Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77480Members
    I also saw some Aimbotters. The guy from the video seems to have only wallhack, very obvious at 0:50-0:58, he's aiming at the skulk through the wall.

I had one some days before who killed 2 or 3 freshly spawned skulks with just one magazine in the pistol. 38-2 stats... too obvious.

If someone is interested in exchanging banlists, pm me!